'12 IN DT Sheldon Day

Pipkins is Mizzou/Michigan, O'Brien is Michigan, and Day is ND/Michigan and we miss out yet again at DT! I think Michigan takes 2 DT's minimum and we are left to scavage the non-BCS level DT's.

It's been reported that Michigan plans on taking only 1 DT.

God you are exactly what I called you earlier. Thats like saying if we have signed bigtime qb's the past couple of years we always will. You do realize all trends come to an end, correct?

Good and bad, yes. But, what makes you believe that trend ends with O'Brien?

Give me your reasons why he signs with UT over Michigan. And for the love, don't bring up hunting.

Uh yeah, our recent history of showing an inability to sign top level DT recruits indeed impacts our recruiting of any DT recruit.

This isn't philosophy, this is reality, take a bite. Might open your eyes a bit.

We did sign a top level DT recruit last year, open your eyes. I don't think O'Brien is looking at our past recruiting going, damn UT hasn't signed a bunch of big time DT's the past couple years, don't want to go there anymore.

And fwiw UT has signed a 4* DT the past two years.

Also, if were using your method, then there is no way Kimbrow, or any other good player can sign with Vandy this year. Look at it like that and tell me its not dumb, Vandy will sign some good players this year.

Good and bad, yes. But, what makes you believe that trend ends with O'Brien?

Give me your reasons why he signs with UT over Michigan. And for the love, don't bring up hunting.

I didn't say I think he will sign with UT over Michigan did I? So truly I don't have to give a reason why. I don't know where he will end up, nor do you. But I can say this, he has a good relationship with the coaches, likes the campus, and feels comfortable here.

Folks! We have a winner!
The Negavol of the Day Award goes to.........
(pause, opening the envelop)
CO VOL

Yeah JUCO's can be fliers, CDD has said so himself. He doesn't want to go that direction unless necessity dictates.

I want UT to sign a few quality DT classes before I start to feel better about UT's interior DL. It's not easy, DT is the hardest position to recruit, just seems we've missed out on too many of these battles the last few years.

Yeah JUCO's can be fliers, CDD has said so himself. He doesn't want to go that direction unless necessity dictates.

I want UT to sign a few quality DT classes before I start to feel better about UT's interior DL. It's not easy, DT is the hardest position to recruit, just seems we've missed out on too many of these battles the last few years.

What do you think about the impact Malik Jackson has had at DT? We'd be in a lot more trouble if he didn't transfer here.

Folks! We have a winner!
The Negavol of the Day Award goes to.........
(pause, opening the envelop)
CO VOL

That's better than being called dumb I guess.

I just prefer to base my reasoning on reality, not wishful thinking.

Having said that I hope we get O'Brien, just think Michigan has the advantage at the time being.

Lots of things change in recruiting, so you never know. Keeping my fingers crossed, he's going to be a good player.

What do you think about the impact Malik Jackson has had at DT? We'd be in a lot more trouble if he didn't transfer here.

Don't want to even think where our line would be without him, scary thought. Even more of an indictment on how bad our interior DL recruiting has been.

Maybe a great DT haul this year will change UT's luck.

Don't want to even think where our line would be without him, scary thought. Even more of an indictment on how bad our interior DL recruiting has been.

Maybe a great DT haul this year will change UT's luck.

Yeah, it would have been terrible. Losing JC Copland (IIRC) to LSU the other year hurt pretty badly. Also, injuries have hurt the depth on the D-line. Losing Montori didn't help things either. That said, we have room to take several DTs this class. And fortunately, the class is pretty deep on DT talent.

There is no denying that the DT and LB recruiting as a whole has been very subpar the last number of years. Somehow they are going to have to figure out a way to close on some of these big-time DT's and LB's or the guys they bring in will be nothing more than fillers to the guys they will be replacing.

There is no denying that the DT and LB recruiting as a whole has been very subpar the last number of years. Somehow they are going to have to figure out a way to close on some of these big-time DT's and LB's or the guys they bring in will be nothing more than fillers to the guys they will be replacing.

we signed a hell of an LB class last year.

i wouldn't consider Johnson, Maggitt, and Harris just fillers.

For some reason people are forgetting this because they are assuming Maggitt is going to be a DE.

LV, this isn't to tarnish your reputation if you are wrong, but can you guess as to the DTs that you think we end up with as of now.

god, we get it. We need help on the front 7. You post the same thing in every thread
Posted via VolNation Mobile

god, we get it. We need help on the front 7. You post the same thing in every thread

You'd be surprised at how many people on here really don't understand this, though.

People honestly think we are going to be serious SECC contenders next year with our current front seven.

You'd be surprised at how many people on here really don't understand this, though.

People honestly think we are going to be serious SECC contenders next year with our current front seven.

We will be. Unless we get a JUCO DT or LB, then they will more than likely not make a huge impact next year anyways. McCullers is the big JUCO we are after, and if we land him to go along with Couch, Miller, Carson, and Saulsberry next year we should be fine. At DE, it is a must to get a JUCO DE IMO, because outside of Smith, Walls, and Williams there is a big drop off (This is assuming Maggitt stays at LB). At LB last year, we pulled in a huge class with Johnson, Maggitt, and Harris. Factor that in with guys like Lathers, King, and Propst back then you get a solid corps there.

That is just addressing next year's situation. It is obvious we need a huge front 7 class this year to constantly rebuild the depth that Kiffin and Fulmer left us in. We look to be in great shape in doing that with the QB, OL, RB, WR, and DB positions. This class you can see the focus on DTs and LBs.

DT- Day, O'Brien, Pipkins, McCullers, Valentine, Borne, etc...

LB- Santos, Neal, Peterson, Henderson, King, Lewis, Dawson, etc...

article on Rivals says he almost made a committment at The Opening. I wonder who it was to? also, he won DL MVP

Sheldon Day- Day was a monster on day two. He was un-stoppable up the middle beating pretty much anyone that was in front of him, including Isaac Seumalo among others. He didn't have a bad day one in the challenge, but his second day was simply that impressive. His "get off" on the snap was second to none.

- JHop from 247. Review from The Opening.

Agreed. Also Couch was a major addition. Should start from day one. And don't forget, we came down to signing day on Lamar Dawson and Gabe Wright, so last year, we were at least competitive in going after top DL and LB's, but we have to build on that this year.

They need way more than just those 3. Last year was a solid start for sure if all those guys stay at Linebacker.

But who knows where Maggitt will end up. And
I wont be surprised if AJ simply outgrows the LB position. I've already heard from those that have seen him on campus that his frame is absolutely huge and he could easily add another 25 lbs in the next year. If he gets up around 275 he wont stay at LB.

Bottom line is you cant simply sign 3 guys and assume you are set at a position for the next 4-5 years. That goes right along with the Devrin Young crap some guys on here spew about not needing another speed back because they have him now. That's no way for a program to be successful in this conference.

VN Store

Back