Khalid Henderson Commits to TN

just looked at his junior highlight films,he seems,to me,to be very smooth in running.when he hit a player,the ball carrier went down right there. good anticipation also.being an old vol,orange bleeder forever,he reminds me somewhat of Steve Kiner whom i knew. best of luck, you'll make your own.

That the one with the kid from American Pie and Busey, right?

I met Gary Busey once in Santa Monica, he was coming out of the bathroom and had a long piece of TP hanging out of his boot. & was 3 sheets in the wind... so that gives me a Bacon number of 3!

why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to the services for their evaluations? I am so sick of every recruit that dooley signs is a great dooley evaluation when the jury is clearly out on him and definitely his recruiting ability. Just you wait until all these raw talents that dooley signs come of age. We will be competing with the big boys again. Yes sirree!

the recruiting services that colleges pay are different than Scout and Rivals. Those college services merely provide film and stats of players they think are good for the coaches to evaluate. They act as a dragnet to catch players in schools that the coaches may not have time to see.

Rivals and Scout cater to the fan. Often times the stats are inflated because they rely on self reporting. A running back may have 13 carries for 87 yards but will report 18 carries for 123 yards and a td. He knows the inflated stat will lead to a higher ranking and possibly greater attention. This is why its so important not to rely on Rival and Scout rankings.

If you really want to know about recruiting, read "Meat Market". It will change your opinion of Rivals/Scout, evaluating talent and offering scholarships.

Whose evaluation do you trust more, some nerd from rivals or Peter Sirmon and Lance Thompson?

How do you know the coaches didn't evaluate a player the same as the services did? We offer a lot of kids and some we get, some we don't. I guarantee you our coaches would take the high rated kids on these services every year. As a coach you go after what you want and have to settle for what you get.
The services just have to rate, not sign. Different ball game all together.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to the services for their evaluations? I am so sick of every recruit that dooley signs is a great dooley evaluation when the jury is clearly out on him and definitely his recruiting ability. Just you wait until all these raw talents that dooley signs come of age. We will be competing with the big boys again. Yes sirree!

1. They pay for the film. Coaches can't be everywhere and have limited travel, visits, and time.

2. What makes you think the jury is out on Dooley's recruiting? Was it his time at LSU as Saban's coordinator?

3. Why do you gripe so much?

Several have bashed the services and called those of us who look at their evaluation and recognize they are right more often than not "star gazers".

I believe that they are right more than they are wrong, as well, but nothing is 100%. Also, I look at the schools that are picking up interest in him and that leads me to believe that Dooley and staff got in on him early.

I could be wrong but at this moment he looks like a solid pickup for a position of need.

How do you know the coaches didn't evaluate a player the same as the services did? We offer a lot of kids and some we get, some we don't. I guarantee you our coaches would take the high rated kids on these services every year. As a coach you go after what you want and have to settle for what you get.
The services just have to rate, not sign. Different ball game all together.

That's irrelevant.

One thing I noticed from his tape, the kid is always "in the game". He's blocking kicks, getting pressure on the QB, pushing the RB to the sideline even when he doesnt make the tackle or the sack he is helping someone else do it. He seems like he has a great motor and seems like he is a high character guy.

the recruiting services that colleges pay are different than Scout and Rivals. Those college services merely provide film and stats of players they think are good for the coaches to evaluate. They act as a dragnet to catch players in schools that the coaches may not have time to see.

Rivals and Scout cater to the fan. Often times the stats are inflated because they rely on self reporting. A running back may have 13 carries for 87 yards but will report 18 carries for 123 yards and a td. He knows the inflated stat will lead to a higher ranking and possibly greater attention. This is why its so important not to rely on Rival and Scout rankings.

If you really want to know about recruiting, read "Meat Market". It will change your opinion of Rivals/Scout, evaluating talent and offering scholarships.

I don't know how it used to be. But they have people in each state now that reports on the kids in each state. Guys who know the players and teams in the state they report. They rely heavily on the reports from their own people and official stats kept by the state athletic association.

our coach and his recruiting philosophy. Difference of opinion, I just don't think given the high quality of recruiting and coaching in the SEC, that we can climb back to the top with marginal recruiting. The coaching will show itself every Sat during fb season.

This blog report is excellent. Recruiting services for the public consumptions do what they do. But I believe that this youngster will all of a sudden get a 3 star rating right away because the services just didn't take a thorough look.

Coaches lose their jobs if they miss on too many kids. I trust Coach Dooley and his staff to make good choices.

Welcome aboard, Khalid.

There is still plenty of time for folks to turn this kid off about UT with all of the negative junk about stars or lack of thereof. Our coaches saw the kid and it appears that the rivals and scout folks didn't. Maybe they need to scat over to Pebblebrook and take a look.

I believe that they are right more than they are wrong, as well, but nothing is 100%. Also, I look at the schools that are picking up interest in him and that leads me to believe that Dooley and staff got in on him early.

I could be wrong but at this moment he looks like a solid pickup for a position of need.

I agree. My posts are not aimed at him. My posts are aimed at the goobs who bash the services when we sign a low rated kid as no good yet orgasm in their panties when we sign a high rated kid by the same services.

Pebblebrook (kahlid's school) has two other players that project to sign with major colleges — QB CJ Goodman(6-0, 170) is being evaluated by Georgia Tech, Navy and Georgia Southern at QB, Clemson as an athlete, and by Tennessee at WR; LB Sertonuse Harris (6-0, 185) has generated interest from Navy, Troy and Middle Tennessee State

I'm going to bust out laughing when he makes a game saving tackle in the SECCG game or something

Clemson was looking at him to and we know what kind of class they are putting together.

I would rather put my trust in some (Sirmon) who has played at all levels (Pro for years) and knows a good LB when he see one since that's his position than some of you that all you know about this kid is only what you have read about him.

It's a rule, if you have went to a game, watched one on tv, and posted 3 times on this site..... You are an official analyst. Hands down...Don't even bother with the first 2, just post on here without seeing anything, and your espn paychecks will start rolling in.

Funny how much some of our esteemed colleagues here know about a kid that has yet to be evaluated by a recruiting service. The idea that our staff knows less than some guy from Rivals is borderline mental retardation.

The problem is that no one knows when our coaches start evaluating kids. By the time we hear about it, they've been looking at them for a very long time.

Obviously, we don't have all the information we wish we had. But making educated guesses based on the information we do have is something we're obviously interested in doing, or else we wouldn't be here. One of my educated guesses is that if coaches have been evaluating kids for a long time, you'd expect that, every so often, they would pull the trigger on an offer before Scout and Rivals realize what kind of ability the kid has.

I love commitments like Henderson.

Even if the kid turns out to be a dud on the field his commit sparks such healthy debate amongst us fans.

I think we should wait until he's played his Senior season before we judge his talent level too much. I'm just glad there are still people out there who want to be Vols, especially from the state of GA.

Obviously, we don't have all the information we wish we had. But making educated guesses based on the information we do have is something we're obviously interested in doing, or else we wouldn't be here. One of my educated guesses is that if coaches have been evaluating kids for a long time, you'd expect that, every so often, they would pull the trigger on an offer before Scout and Rivals realize what kind of ability the kid has.

Yes I agree.

Funny how much some of our esteemed colleagues here know about a kid that has yet to be evaluated by a recruiting service. The idea that our staff knows less than some guy from Rivals is borderline mental retardation.

What's true mental "tardation" is people who just slurp up what ever is given them. Goobs make me laugh

VN Store

Back