Khalid Henderson Commits to TN

Henderson reminds me of Raiques Crump when I watch the film on him. Instinctive, hard-hitting, but raw and in need of development. As far as stars, recruiting services, and offers, it's early in recruiting rankings and the camp circuit. His ranks may not move or he could have strong camps and an impressive senior year and be a high three to low four star recruit. And yes, recruiting services will rate ten fives stars correctly for every two or three star they are wrong about. Of course, there are a lot more two and three star players, and that's why coaches evaluate and offer accordingly. JMO
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm sure if this kid jumps ship in November to go to FL or Bama or UGA that everyone on here bashing his commitment to UT will probably be ok with that, right? We need everyone we can get at this point, and this staff has not shied away from telling kids to reevaluate their options once they recruit over them.

Who bashed him? I know I haven't. I've laughed at the goobs who wanna celebrate ANY kid DD get regardless. And they will bash the recruiting services for being wrong on one kid then go nuts when a kid they rate high signs with us later. Gooberism makes me laugh.

I think we should wait until Rivals has a chance to evaluate him before we assume his evaluation would lead to a low star ranking

Also charlie strong knew who could cut it when he was DC at fla - so when Louisville offers a Defenesive kid i look at it a little differently than i used to look at a lville offer

While there is certainly all manner of insanity here (both believing stars are everything and stars are nothing), we do have alternatives other than just blindly following the coaches. We know that having higher ranked classes has historically been a necessary (but not sufficient) condition for winning championships. We also know that sometimes lower ranked players pan out (and higher ranked players don't) and that our coaches are paid to find the ones that will (and avoid the ones that won't).

So the proper class should contain enough well-recognized talent to be ranked highly and a couple lower-ranked players who impress the coaches. That is to say, if we take nothing but 2 and 3 stars, it's a problem. Similarly, if we only offer 4 and 5 stars, it's a problem, because it's evidence that our coaches aren't doing their own evaluation. But if we take a couple 2 and 3 stars and a lot of higher ranked players, we should trust that our coaches are doing their jobs in evaluation unless presented with evidence that their evaluation is poor.

Are you saying you wouldn't want a class with nothing but the highest rated players? You really think we have to have some lower rated kids to make you happy? Just asking.

I think we should wait until Rivals has a chance to evaluate him before we assume his evaluation would lead to a low star ranking

Also charlie strong knew who could cut it when he was DC at fla - so when Louisville offers a Defenesive kid i look at it a little differently than i used to look at a lville offer

Good point.

Reality Check. We were rated 13th on Rivals this past class between Florida and Oklahoma. How can you say that's bad given the crappy turmoil that we've gone through over the past few seasons? Even the 7th rated class, LSU, signed a 2 star kicker! Don't they know they're in the SEC!? Who do they think they are, Louisiana Tech?

It's all just the usual panic mode. When January rolls around and our class is rated 15th or so, people will panic over who we haven't gotten. Then in April, it'll be who didn't look good in the spring game. It's the constant mentality of panic with this fanbase, and I blame Kiffin. When Kiffin spurned us, we were shocked, and ever since, a large portion of the fanbase lives in constant fear of the next disaster. Even if a situation is minor, it becomes Watergate within an hour. JMO

Who bashed him? I know I haven't. I've laughed at the goobs who wanna celebrate ANY kid DD get regardless. And they will bash the recruiting services for being wrong on one kid then go nuts when a kid they rate high signs with us later. Gooberism makes me laugh.

Who bashed a recruiting service? I know I haven't. I've merely pointed out repeated evaluations that were flat out wrong in judging certain players potential. Which is the entire point of these web sites, Rivals and Scout.

My point is that based on his relatively short time here at UT and his previous tenure as Saban's recruiting coordinator at LSU, Dooley has been proven to be very capable in evaluating the talent of high school football players.

Last edited:
Whose evaluation do you trust more, some nerd from rivals or Peter Sirmon and Lance Thompson?

why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to the services for their evaluations? I am so sick of every recruit that dooley signs is a great dooley evaluation when the jury is clearly out on him and definitely his recruiting ability. Just you wait until all these raw talents that dooley signs come of age. We will be competing with the big boys again. Yes sirree!

Are you saying you wouldn't want a class with nothing but the highest rated players? You really think we have to have some lower rated kids to make you happy? Just asking.

I didn't say incoming class, I said offers. If we're only offering people after they've already picked up high recruiting rankings, it's evidence that our coaches aren't doing their jobs in evaluation. Now if we're offering people before they pick up a high ranking, that shows that the coaches are relying on more than just recruiting services. If Rivals finds every player before our coaches do, that doesn't say much about our coaches' ability to evaluate talent. Differing here and there shows independent thought.

why is it that every major college on the planet pay vast sums of money to the services for their evaluations? I am so sick of every recruit that dooley signs is a great dooley evaluation when the jury is clearly out on him and definitely his recruiting ability. Just you wait until all these raw talents that dooley signs come of age. We will be competing with the big boys again. Yes sirree!

Those services aren't the ones doing evaluations at UT's camp

We should know much more about Dooley's coaching after this season.

Who bashed a recruiting service? I know I haven't. I've merely pointed out repeated evaluations that were flat out wrong in judging certain players potential. Which is the entire point of these web sites, Rivals and Scout.

My point is that based on his relatively short time here at UT and his previous tenure as Saban's recruiting coordinator at LSU, Dooley has been proven to be very capable in evaluating the talent of high school football players.

Several have bashed the services and called those of us who look at their evaluation and recognize they are right more often than not "star gazers".

I didn't say incoming class, I said offers. If we're only offering people after they've already picked up high recruiting rankings, it's evidence that our coaches aren't doing their jobs in evaluation. Now if we're offering people before they pick up a high ranking, that shows that the coaches are relying on more than just recruiting services. If Rivals finds every player before our coaches do, that doesn't say much about our coaches' ability to evaluate talent. Differing here and there shows independent thought.

Some good points.

I wish they'd do away with the stars system. Liked it better in the old days

VN Store

Back