Can Cuonzo Martin "swim with the sharks"?

Fingers

VolNation favorite, Mike Griffith, speaking this morning of Cuonzo Martin and how Tennessee's new coach is very mindful of compliance:

"Between him, Houston Fancher, and Kent Williams, these guys are so by the book. They are so by the book that I wonder how they are going to swim with the sharks. I think you've got to operate in a grey area. There's varying degrees of grey. But for the most part, Cuonzo doesn't wander anywhere near the line."

"When you are recruiting against guys like John Calipari and Mike Anderson, boy that's some tough turf."

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree with having to do it to compete, but an argument can certainly be made.

Wow, if you aren't willing to get into the grey with the rules, you can't be successful? Another former SEC coach told me the same thing. He said Kentucky would run you out of the league if you weren't willing to break rules in recruiting. Sad, if true.

so we just got through a pretty big issue with the NCAA and Griff is saying we should still be pushing the limits?

He's absolutely right. You need to be smart about going into the grey area, like Calipari and unlike Pearl who did it, and had a picture taken in his house, dumb. It's the only way to compete in the dirty world of College BBall, all the good ones with championships do it... If no picture existed, Pearl could have looked those NCAA douches in the eye and dared them to prove it, Calipari style.

No, he just used his snake oil salesman spill until he realized it wasn't going to work and then went back crying for forgiveness.

Griffith never ceases to amaze me. In a league that contains Rick Stansbury and Darrin Horn as coaches, he lists Mike Anderson as an example of a guy who skirts the line in recruiting. Amazing.

Griff broke down b-ball recruiting at the end of the show by stating that "we were going after a couple of big men who were currently signed by Miami". What? Bishop Daniels is a guard and their only signed recruit. I feel sorry vol fans who take him as an authority, he's a phony.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This is just a pathetic attempt by Griff to defend the previous staff's indiscretions.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back