Derek Dooley eagerly awaits signees arrival

Clockwork Orange

Derek Dooley eagerly awaits signees' arrival GoVolsXtra

AKA The current group of guys we have right now are terrible. Expect a 7-8 win type of season.

“We’re deeper than we were a year ago. I think when we get these 20 more guys, hopefully they’ll (help). The real question is going to be how many are ready to help us this year. They may not be ready the first game, but we’re going to keep developing them. I’m not sure we’re going to have where we can say we have depth until a year from now. We just don’t.” Telling comment from Coach Dooley.

Derek Dooley eagerly awaits signees' arrival GoVolsXtra

AKA The current group of guys we have right now are terrible.

Expect a 7-8 win type of season.

“We’re deeper than we were a year ago. I think when we get these 20 more guys, hopefully they’ll (help). The real question is going to be how many are ready to help us this year. They may not be ready the first game, but we’re going to keep developing them. I’m not sure we’re going to have where we can say we have depth until a year from now. We just don’t.” Telling comment from Coach Dooley.

First, you're reading into it too much. We are not terrible. Our talent is much better than it was last year, and we still have a lot of room to improve. But, far from terrible.

Secondly, 7-8 wins is what everyone was realistically expecting anyway... Were you hoping for a 14-0 season w/a BCS National Championship title? :crazy:

Lastly, everything CDD said is stuff everyone already knows anyway. No new news here.

Terrible...as in this post is terrible.
All Dooley is saying is we are young (70% of the roster is Fresh and Soph). We need depth and hopefully the guys coming in can help with that (just like the incomings had to last year).

BTW - 8 wins would be a good year for this team. Don't expect SECC or NC this early. Also, with the way the East is this year, 8 wins could possibly have us in the hunt for playing in ATL come December.

If we get 8 wins I will be ecstatic. Said it once, I'll say it again..... I just want to watch games and see guys who are really showing improvement on the field. Especially in the secondary.

I'm expecting 6 wins.
I'd be pleased with 7 wins.
I'd be overjoyed with 8 wins.

Any more than that and the Doolster should be crowned SEC Coach of the Year. The "we're gonna beat FL" thread is absurd...I don't care who said it.

I think the majority of the fan base would be pretty disappointed if we only had 7 wins.

7-8 wins is realistic.

I'm optimistic that we can win 9 but it's not all that likely this fall. It's just not.

Anyone expecting more than 7-8 (maybe 9 with a huge upset) isn't paying attention to what Dooley inherited. It will take another year before this team is ready and able to win 10 games. It could happen this fall, it's just unlikely.

I'm expecting 6 wins.

Any more than that and the Doolster should be crowned SEC Coach of the Year. The "we're gonna beat FL" thread is absurd...I don't care who said it.

Florida is in a state of upheaval.

Tennessee is not.

Florida, regardless of talent, is going to experience a severe learning curve from both the players and the head coach.

It's not absurd to expect Tennessee to compete with, you know, one of its biggest rivals.

I'm expecting 6 wins.

We are.

And we'll win atleast 8.

Florida is in a state of upheaval.

Tennessee is not.

Florida, regardless of talent, is going to experience a severe learning curve from both the players and the head coach.

It's not absurd to expect Tennessee to compete with, you know, one of its biggest rivals.

Hell, I thought we competed with em pretty well last year. Up until the end. Thats where our depth problems really showed.

It surprises me how honest CDD comes across in his assessment of our team with the media. I'm just not used to that.

I guess I always thought that "coachspeak" was to protect the team's weaknesses from the opposition.
The more I think about it I have come to believe that there are very few secrets, as the opposition is certainly better at breaking down film than us fans are.

Anyone think that this is just a way for him to manage expectations until we become competitive in the SEC, or will he continue to break things down so clearly for us and the media in teh years to come?

With all this confidence about beating Florida, I feel like a Kentucky fan talking about the Tennessee game.

I don't really care about the win total for us this season. I want signature wins. We've played these terrible games where we get so close (Bama and Fl in '09, UNC and LSU in '10) and then screw it up at the end.

I'd rather have a 6 win season if two of them come from the grouping of Florida, Bama, LSU than have a 7-8 win season where we beat Georgia and the rest of the runts we play.

Ultimately, the lack of signature wins has been a huge issue for Tennessee since the early 2000s. Stomping UGA in '07 was fun. Beating Florida in '04 was awesome. Those are the only really big wins I can think of in the last 6-7 years.

I'm expecting 6 wins.

No, its not.

VN Store

Back