Hat/LawVol

]http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/article_a42f91ed-964e-5cda-8cfd-21f8632bee26.html[
Good read on the man.

From this article...

"Martin had every intention of accepting a scholarship from the University of Illinois, the only school he was considering. But when the Deon Thomas recruiting controversy made headlines in the summer of 1990, it appeared Illinois would be penalized."

So we hired a man that was deterred from going to Illinois by the scandal Pearl revealed. Not quite irony, but an interesting fact nonetheless.

Cuonzo Martin was about to be the Missouri Tigers next coach. We stole him from them.

Martin has some big recruits that he is in on and is said to be a tireless recruiter and coaches with a lot of energy.

Purdue head coach Matt Painter has emerged as the No. 1 target to replace Mike Anderson at Missouri, reports the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, despite the 40-year-old having just signed an eight-year extension to remain at his alma mater.

Painter did get an out clause in the deal and could get a significant raise from the $1.3 million per season he's making at Purdue. Missouri offered Anderson $2 million annually before he bolted for Arkansas earlier this week.

If Painter leaves, Purdue will quickly become one of the best job openings in the country, with assistants Paul Lusk, Jack Owens and Mike Jackson on the short list.

However, I also thought Keady's teams underachieved and he was never able to break through.

I always felt like he got his teams to play over their heads during the regular season, got higher seeds for the tournament than their talent warranted, and then got beat by more athletic teams from outside the Big Ten in postseason play.

The one time that he had a team that could have realistically broken through was in '94, when he got to a regional final with Glenn Robinson and our new coach, and then Robinson got hurt in the game before they had to go play Duke and Grant Hill.

If we're going to hire out of someone's coaching tree, I have no problem with trying Gene Keady's.

Like alot of other people on here...I really don't know anything about him. But, he is UT's head coach and I am excited about his pedigree for sure. I hope that that this makes our recruits feel better...and it will be interesting to see what Tobias dad comes out and says. Welcome to our new coach.

Last edited:
I always felt like he got his teams to play over their heads during the regular season, got higher seeds for the tournament than their talent warranted, and then got beat by more athletic teams from outside the Big Ten in postseason play.

The one time that he had a team that could have realistically broken through was in '94, when he got to a regional final with Glenn Robinson and our new coach, and then Robinson got hurt in the game before they had to go play Duke and Grant Hill.

If we're going to hire out of someone's coaching tree, I have no problem with trying Gene Keady's.
The only two Purdue teams that might have underachieved in the postseason were '88 and '94. They were a 1 or 2 seed a couple of times with 8 or 9 seed personnel.

Like alot of other people on here...I really don't know anything about him. But, he is not UT's head coach and I am excited about his pedigree for sure. I hope that that this makes our recruits feel better...and it will be interesting to see what Tobias dad comes out and says. Welcome to our new coach.
Actually, he is UT's head coach. Announced a few hours ago.

Cuonzo Martin was about to be the Missouri Tigers next coach. We stole him from them.

Martin has some big recruits that he is in on and is said to be a tireless recruiter and coaches with a lot of energy.

I now live in Missouri and follow Mizzou as my second team. Missouri was never going to hire Coach Martin. (Read St Louis Post Dispatch Sports Page) What big recruits? His Missouri State teams were average at best.

I now live in Missouri and follow Mizzou as my second team. Missouri was never going to hire Coach Martin. (Read St Louis Post Dispatch Sports Page) What big recruits? His Missouri State teams were average at best.

Makes his 26-9 ecord this year even more impressive, no?

Wait, as someone who lives in St. Louis....ties to East St. Louis is a good thing?

If you're looking for quality athletes in the mid-west then it's a good thing. Otherwise, not so much.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hammy didn't open up the checkbook too much to ensure that upon his departure there would still be a nice chunk for his parting gift/buyout..

that being said..I am not at all impressed with this hire, i feel we could have done better , but as always time will tell. I think i read somewhere that we now have the only coach in the SEC who hasn't taken a squad to the NCAA tournamet, is that correct?

Hammy didn't open up the checkbook too much to ensure that upon his departure there would still be a nice chunk for his parting gift/buyout..

that being said..I am not at all impressed with this hire, i feel we could have done better , but as always time will tell. I think i read somewhere that we now have the only coach in the SEC who hasn't taken a squad to the NCAA tournamet, is that correct?

Incorrect...Andy Kennedy @ Ole Miss is one I know who hasn't....

Does anyone know if he was ever apart of any violations? ANY?

I read an article (sorry can't remember where to post here, but try google) that says coack K has never committed ANY violations of ANY kind...

with that in mind I hope Counzoe doesn't have an affection for violating the rules.

First, he's actually won his conference.

Second, he wasn't bequeathed near the talent that Shaka got from Grant.

So if/when NCS hires Smart, there will be a nice measuring stick as to who made the better hire of a mid-major coach with limited experience (UT or NCS).

Lot of it weighs in on who is the better recruiter. I have never heard Coach Martin utter a word. I have heard Smart dozens of times. That was why I hoped he would have interest in UT (which apparently, he did not).

Hopefully, Coach Martin and his staff can be superior evaluators of talent than Coach Pearl's staff. That, to me, seemed to hurt UT recently. Also, the Ramar Smith fiasco set back the program terribly.

Hope the Jones kid gets the grades/score to get into school. Watching the tournament really re-emphasis what a strong point guard that puts the pressure on the defense can do for you.

Last edited:
While I disagree with them sometimes, I must admit that I too find Hat and Law to be very credible when considering the opinions of people on this board.

I would agree on Hat because he is on the radar of accurate and timely info, but LawVol, not so much. His opinion is credible, but there are about 10-12 other posters who are at least as credible

To me you made an excellent of how Keady's career went at Purdue.

Not related to your point but I saw another source that sort of debunks what some have passed on here: That Missouri was really high on Martin. What I read said that if they hire(d) him that would have meant they missed on most of their initial targets. It seems interesting that Painter would jump to Missouri. It would almost have to be for the money. Or maybe he is just expecting Purdue to sweeten the pot. Does anyone know if Painter has connections to Missouri?

Hat, you think Martin will try and keep Houston Fancher on staff? Seems like he would be a pretty valuable resource to lean on.

Hat, you think Martin will try and keep Houston Fancher on staff? Seems like he would be a pretty valuable resource to lean on.
Not sure. Lots of guys like to clean house. Keeping Fancher wouldn't be a bad move, but not retaining him wouldn't be a big deal.

Don't you think if he keeps him it is more of a PR move than anything? Fancher doesn't seem irreplaceable by any means...

At this point in time, keeping anyone from the previous staff would probably be a bad idea. Need a fresh start, in the worst way.

Traditionally, coaches like to keep the interim coach on staff to make the transition smoother. Since Fancher was only the interim coach a few days it may not make a difference.

VN Store

Back