Shaka Smart + orange tie = a signal?

globadoc

Professor of BBQ & Sports
Is Shaka's orange tie a sign to the trustees that he is open to discuss the UT position?
(yes, I'm kidding.)

i would rather have another coach from a virginia school as coach. i nominate chris mooney from richmond.

First, I love the name. Shaka Smart. It just sounds cool. Second, he's showing himself to be a pretty good coach. I'd put him on the list.

The Richmond coath is ok, but Shaka is exactly what we need! His style of offense and defense reminds me of the beginning of the Pearl years but better. If we don't keep Pearl, Shaka is the man, pay that man his money! Go after him Cheek and Hamilton if you want to redeem yourself!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Here is a good slogan, Tennessee get Smart, get Shaka for headcoach!

chaka%20khan%20funk%20this%20cover.jpg

VCU is usually a successful program historically - I'd rather take a coach who takes over a bad team and makes them relevant to be honest.

makes perfect sense - we don't fire him - program gets raped by the NCAA with a 2-3 year suspension of Bruce - thus leading to him not being retained... we fire him - loss of scholarships and minor recruiting restrictions... no major penalties.. chances for a good hire and to get back on our feet.

Keeping Bruce would set us back 6 years.

It makes absolutely no sense to fire Bruce now. We need to keep him.

We're at a point now where it makes no sense to keep him. I'm sad he's going. But it must be done.

But if I were Shaka Smart, then why on earth would I want to work in this insane asylum when I could take a job at a peer institution with a decent AD who will be consistent in his message and in his support for my efforts?

I love the way his team fights and competes. I think his combativeness would find a welcome audience in Knoxville. Smart has shown he can guide a program through adversity, develop his players mentally and physically, and work magic during games developing tactics and taking advantage of matchups.

It would be a great hire after a year of turmoil.

We're at a point now where it makes no sense to keep him. I'm sad he's going. But it must be done.

But if I were Shaka Smart, then why on earth would I want to work in this insane asylum when I could take a job at a peer institution with a decent AD who will be consistent in his message and in his support for my efforts?

I love the way his team fights and
competes. I think his combativeness would find a welcome audience in Knoxville. Smart has shown he can guide a program through adversity, develop his players mentally and physically, and work magic during games developing tactics and taking advantage of matchups.

Hope we get him, would be a great fit

Hope we get him, would be a great fit

They've went into some tough places to play and came out with wins. I caught their game against Wichita State at the Roundhouse--never an easy place to get a win--and was impressed by the way they responded to the runs the Shockers were putting together and the fans who were right on top of them.

My preference would be to find a coach who has taken over a program that has had NCAA problems and has done well. But Smart had a rough start with VCU earlier this year and has managed to put together a squad that can compete with anyone in the country based on what I've seen.

I'll take a coach who tackles adversity head on and feeds off of it to make his team better.

I love the way his team fights and competes. I think his combativeness would find a welcome audience in Knoxville. Smart has shown he can guide a program through adversity, develop his players mentally and physically, and work magic during games developing tactics and taking advantage of matchups.

money_suitcase.jpg

From The Wilmington StarNews (see here):

"When VCU appeared in the 68-team NCAA Tournament field on Sunday night, it was worth $40,500 – or one and one-half months pay – to second-year coach Shaka Smart. Smart earns a base salary of $325,000. If the Rams defeat Southern Cal on Wednesday night in Dayton, he’ll receive an additional $20,600. He’d receive the same amount for the next two NCAA Tournament victories.

Smart would owe VCU $300,000 if he terminates the contract prior to April 30. Like previous VCU coaches Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant, if Smart departs he is obligated to schedule a home-and-home series between his new employer and VCU, or the new employer can opt out by paying VCU $250,000."

I think we can afford a $300,000 buyout and I know we can beat his $400K/year (including tournament bonuses). He probably will not be the best hire that we could find, but we could certainly do a lot worse.

VN Store

Back