'12 LA DT Gerron Borne

Disagree.
Think about it. Please explain how a coach makes an offer to a recruit but then refuses to take that players commitment. :loco::loco:

Some offers are non-commitable. The coaches often offer a player but tell him he cant commit until they tell him to if at all. Sometimes they are waiting on a better player then when he goes elsewhere they take the earlier said players commitment.

agreed....Keith is a great guy, one of the better guys in the business....Gatorbait has went to trash since he went national.

I was fooling around. Borne named Tennessee his leader a long time ago.

And Gatorbait has been and always will be trash :)

Some offers are non-commitable. The coaches often offer a player but tell him he cant commit until they tell him to if at all. Sometimes they are waiting on a better player then when he goes elsewhere they take the earlier said players commitment.

All offers are non-binding until the LOI is signed.
My point (to UTBuff37 ) was that an ethical coach would not make an offer unless he was ready to accept that individuals commitment.

All offers are non-binding until the LOI is signed.
My point (to UTBuff37 ) was that an ethical coach would not make an offer unless he was ready to accept that individuals commitment.

Impossible, any coach who would use that recruiting approach would be unemployed. Were you trying to pull a fast one on us or are you really that ignorant?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Impossible, any coach who would use that recruiting approach would be unemployed. Were you trying to pull a fast one on us or are you really that ignorant?

Those who live in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones.

For the record, at present there are no (set) NCAA limitations on how many (athletic scholarship) offers can be submitted by a University. Theoretically, a staff can make an infinite amount of (football) offers as long as actual scholarship players do not exceed 85 per annum. Previous post key word ethical.

And my point for those of you with no reading comprehension skills....

I understand the rules and regulations of NCAA recruiting practices. My point is that if a coach were to take what you call an "ethical" approach, they would be unemployed. So in your opinion if there is a 3* RB who we would take as a secondary option shouldn't get an offer until say a Brian Kimbrow or Keith Marshall were to turn down our offer formally. So if they don't choose until NSD and then we miss out, we should hope the 3* back up hasn't accepted an offer and then offer him on NSD.

Are you able to see the absolute flaw in your logic? Most of these kids that get non-committable offers are fully aware of the restrictions on their offer. So getting an offer is a method by which coaches formally express interest in a kid. So you can take your high and mighty, holier-than-thou recruiting logic (or lack thereof) and go hang out with some Vandy fans or something.

There are players with offers that the staff will take before other kids with offers as well. Some kids have conditional offers, which means that if player A or B doesn't come here, then the next one on the list has the ability to commit then. Even then, that C prospect may commit, but if player A or B comes back through, then player C maybe encouraged to look elsewhere. Happens all the time.

There are players with offers that the staff will take before other kids with offers as well. Some kids have conditional offers, which means that if player A or B doesn't come here, then the next one on the list has the ability to commit then. Even then, that C prospect may commit, but if player A or B comes back through, then player C maybe encouraged to look elsewhere. Happens all the time.

A standard and necessary practice. Thank you for the additional explanation E.

And my point for those of you with no reading comprehension skills....

I understand the rules and regulations of NCAA recruiting practices. My point is that if a coach were to take what you call an "ethical" approach, they would be unemployed. So in your opinion if there is a 3* RB who we would take as a secondary option shouldn't get an offer until say a Brian Kimbrow or Keith Marshall were to turn down our offer formally. So if they don't choose until NSD and then we miss out, we should hope the 3* back up hasn't accepted an offer and then offer him on NSD.

If this is all that you surmise then you are a little slow.

One last item, IMO, CDD and Staff are ethical in their recruiting practices.

I concur. There are those (coaches) who will exploit the system and those who do not...hence my ethical reference.

I don't think it's unethical if the fallback option player is told the conditions of the conditional offer, but that's irrelevant. It happens at Tennessee and everywhere else. It's part of the game every school plays year after year.

Neither do I. And yes, all schools participate in this practice, the difference (and the basis of my original post to UTBuff37) lies in the degree of exploitation.

Read on TOS that this guy loves UT. Any ideas on where he will rank in this class?

Love to establish some sort of presence in Louisianna. Janzen and Waggner are a good start, but if we can grab Borne, who plays a position of need, away from the tigers it would be a good deal IMO

You would think that anyone who makes comments on the board would know enough about the sport and how it works before they make a statement which exposes their complete lack of knowledge about the sport.

UT leads big here. Holds offers from UT, Memphis, Illinois, and Pittsburgh. Says he will visit UT this summer and hopes to make his decision this summer. Coincidence? Probably not.

"Tennessee leads," Borne said. "They got on me early. They lead for me because they need defensive tackles, they are close to home and they are in the SEC. It's not far and they have a great staff. It's just a good situation."
"I like their coaching staff," Borne said. "Coach Dooley is great and so is coach Terry Joseph. I hear Knoxville is a nice city with a great environment. I hope to visit there this summer. They are an up and coming program. They played a lot of underclassmen last year and I liked that." "They need defensive tackles," Borne said. "I want to become a great player. If that means redshirting then I understand. If they need me to play right away then I'll play right away."
-Price.

That article was about as positive as it gets for UT. Borne also said he's leaving Louisiana for college, and will make a decision this summer like Flowd mentioned. Unless something drastic changes, this guy is a Vol.

Solid video, looks like a very good run stopper and athletic enough to get to the qb quickly and slam him to the ground. I like it :good!:

That article was about as positive as it gets for UT. Borne also said he's leaving Louisiana for college, and will make a decision this summer like Flowd mentioned. Unless something drastic changes, this guy is a Vol.

Is this a guy we take right away? I would have though O'Brien would be the first we take regardless, and after that we would wait and pick.choose between the likes of Taylor, Mann, Borne and some others.

Is this a guy we take right away? I would have though O'Brien would be the first we take regardless, and after that we would wait and pick.choose between the likes of Taylor, Mann, Borne and some others.

I think O'Brien said he'll probably wait to announce during his senior year. However it wouldn't surprise me if he committed in the summer.

As for Borne, right now I think it's too early to know for sure whether he's a take. I haven't watched much film on him yet, but if I had to guess, I would say the staff would take his commitment simply because we need all the DL we can get for this class. :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back