High school football rules discussion

I know east of Nashville is pretty generic. Not looking to give away too much info :)

Haha I completely understand.

I'm just not a big fan of all the Memphis area refs (some are good), so because your not a ref in West TN, I like you (no homo)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Haha I completely understand.

I'm just not a big fan of all the Memphis area refs (some are good), so because your not a ref in West TN, I like you (no homo)
we all suck according to the people in the stands

have you worked any in East Tennessee?

I worked a 3rd round game at Maryville once and a semi at Baylor. We usually go west and south for playoffs so not many chances to go east. I've heard there are some great places to work out east though.

I worked a 3rd round game at Maryville once and a semi at Baylor. We usually go west and south for playoffs so not many chances to go east. I've heard there are some great places to work out east though.
Maryville is a nice place. I have worked there before. Did you get to go into their weight room at half time? It is awesome!

The main thing I see is the misconception that HS rules are the same as college or NFL.
Yeah, just because it happens on Saturday and Sunday means nothing the rest of the week.

Many think that high school has an uncatchable pass and outside the tackle box. These are two things that do no exist when it comes to calling pass interference and intentional grounding.

Couldn't have said it better myself
It is sad, but it is true.

One thing I tell my friends when they complain is for them to give me one season as an official. I tell them that I will help them get in. If at the end of the season they still want to complain then feel free.

Maryville is a nice place. I have worked there before. Did you get to go into their weight room at half time? It is awesome!

Yep and was thrilled to be in there. It was around 20 degrees out that night. Very impressive facilities there.

I wish this thread would take off with some legitimate high school football rules questions.

It is sad, but it is true.

One thing I tell my friends when they complain is for them to give me one season as an official. I tell them that I will help them get in. If at the end of the season they still want to complain then feel free.

Great statement. The one thing that really irritates me is when people tell me that one official or another "hates" a school or "has it out for" a school.

If there is one thing I could tell every fan it is that not one official cares in the least who wins what. The only thing they care about is getting it right. I've had games where I walk off the field and during our post-game I have to ask somone the score because I didn't know. If people only knew.......

Great statement. The one thing that really irritates me is when people tell me that one official or another "hates" a school or "has it out for" a school.

If there is one thing I could tell every fan it is that not one official cares in the least who wins what. The only thing they care about is getting it right. I've had games where I walk off the field and during our post-game I have to ask somone the score because I didn't know. If people only knew.......
Agreed. There is nothing worse than being told I am pulling for one team or the other at the youth level.

It is funny too when we go to a school and we cover both teams, yet they don't realize that and the visiting team things were "pulling' for the home team.

Correct me if werong - but there is no such rule as "uncatchable" for PI, correct.

And while you ae at it, if you could explain the rules for holding, clipping, and such at the LOS or behind it. Is that a spot foul or from the previous LOS?

Correct me if werong - but there is no such rule as "uncatchable" for PI, correct.

And while you ae at it, if you could explain the rules for holding, clipping, and such at the LOS or behind it. Is that a spot foul or from the previous LOS?
You're right. No such thing as an uncatchable pass in high school.

If you have an offensive hold. The flag goes at the spot of the hold. The penalty will be marked from either the spot of the hold or the end of the run. Whichever penalizes the offense the worst.

There is an all but one principle that states fouls are penalized from the end of the run except for fouls by the offense that happen behind the end of the run.

There is also loose ball fouls which get enforced from the previous spot. These are a little tougher. They will involve a pass, kick, or fumble behind the line of scrimmage.

With clipping or other illegal blocks there is a free blocking zone where things like this are legal as long as certain criteria are met. Otherwise they will be marked off the same as a hold.

Hope this helps some. If not, I will try and clarify

You're right. No such thing as an uncatchable pass in high school.

If you have an offensive hold. The flag goes at the spot of the hold. The penalty will be marked from either the spot of the hold or the end of the run. Whichever penalizes the offense the worst.

There is an all but one principle that states fouls are penalized from the end of the run except for fouls by the offense that happen behind the end of the run.

There is also loose ball fouls which get enforced from the previous spot. These are a little tougher. They will involve a pass, kick, or fumble behind the line of scrimmage.

With clipping or other illegal blocks there is a free blocking zone where things like this are legal as long as certain criteria are met. Otherwise they will be marked off the same as a hold.

Hope this helps some. If not, I will try and clarify

Nope. That does answer it.

I have said before at games I didn't think there was an uncatchable rule in high school, but I wanted to verify.

How many yards is the free blocking zone?

we all suck according to the people in the stands

1. I wasn't saying all refs suck
2. I wasn't in the stands, this was my last year to play. But refs are human and make mistakes, and unfortunatelty my team lost 2 games by 1 point with 3 touchdowns controversially called back between the two games...

How many yards is the free blocking zone?
The free-blocking zone is a rectangular area extending laterally 4 yards either side of the spot of the snap and 3 yards behind each line of scrimmage. A player is in the free-blocking zone when any part of his body is in the zone at the snap.

Basically is it tackle to tackle and you have to be on the LOS at the snap to be illegally blocked. The ball also has to still in the zone, so the blocks have to take place instantly with the snap.

1. I wasn't saying all refs suck
2. I wasn't in the stands, this was my last year to play. But refs are human and make mistakes, and unfortunatelty my team lost 2 games by 1 point with 3 touchdowns controversially called back between the two games...
If you watch any of us work we will ALL miss calls. That is part of it.

Most of the time when a TD comes back a flag is dropped somewhere around the line of scrimmage before the play ever develops and then the play gets broke.

I have no idea on the plays you are talking about, but we could debate all day on officials "costing" teams games. I am not going to do that.

Most of the calls that I missed, no one ever knew.....it is called "selling it".

Most of the calls that I missed, no one ever knew.....it is called "selling it".

You also have to sell call that could go either way. The play where the ball hits the ground and then pops loose needs to be sold. Run in saying "it's down, it's down"

Some incomplete passes get sold if they hit the ground. Selling the play to me just means that you are showing people what you have and there is no question about it.

Should never be called anything but a touchback. You should never see a high school player allowed to return a kick out of the end zone.

I remember two instances from last year where a player did. The kicks were muffed and rolled into the endzone without possession ever being made. He was somehow allowed to return them. I couldn't believe the refs let it fly.

I remember two instances from last year where a player did. The kicks were muffed and rolled into the endzone without possession ever being made. He was somehow allowed to return them. I couldn't believe the refs let it fly.
If they was judged as fumbles and not muffs then they can be returned or if momentum carries the players into the end zone they can be returned as well. Momentum HAS to occur inside the 5 yard line.

VN Store

Back