Walk-ons

AJ Johnson's HS teammate, Kendrick Millsap, is reportedly one of our preferred walk-ons. He's a cornerback.

the other one is a kicker from Bristol whose last name is Rutherford. His grand father played at U.T. back in the day!!!

Didn't realize there was a limit on walk-ons. Or is that the coach's limit.

I don't think there is any kind of limit on walk-ons. I just think that those are the only ones that Dooley et al wanted to take this year. The article I posted references that Dooley likes to evaluate walk-ons based on HS tape and that he only chose three based on what he saw.

Don't think the NCAA has any kind of restrictions on walk-ons.

This has got to be close to the biggest DB class is recent history in regards to numbers..

the other one is a kicker from Bristol whose last name is Rutherford. His grand father played at U.T. back in the day!!!

I know at one point CDD was trying to get the kicker from Maryville to walk on, but he got a full scholarship from Tennessee Tech. We do need some sort of backup plan in our kicking game.

There will be more than three walk-ons. I think the article was referring to kids already on campus. Scout teams live off of walk-ons.

Per a UT football letterman friend:

" Preferred means the player will be treated as one on scholarship and will be given every opportunity to earn a roster spot as well as playing time. If they do and progress they typically will be given a scholarship when one becomes available." The typical walk on has a much tougher row to hoe.

Don't know the status of Rutherford or Millsap. CDD only plans to offer three preferred's a year.

Per a UT football letterman friend:

" Preferred means the player will be treated as one on scholarship and will be given every opportunity to earn a roster spot as well as playing time. If they do and progress they typically will be given a scholarship when one becomes available." The typical walk on has a much tougher row to hoe.

Don't know the status of Rutherford or Millsap. CDD only plans to offer three preferred's a year.

As a former walk-on, I can tell you that's mostly correct.

A walk-on is treated like total chit....a preferred walk-on is merely treated like a piece of chit.
:lolabove:

Ok....I'm only half kidding. Being a walk-on is honestly like being a 2nd class citizen. Your are the last to get equipment, and sometimes you are lucky if it's in the right size or best of shape. The scholly players largely ignore you, or when they do interact with you it's usually in a dismissive tone or fashion. This is not just from my own personal experience....but also from the experience of other walk-ons that were there when I was.

I could go on...but I think that gets the gist of it across. While on a smaller scale, it was like being black in the segregated South.

A walk-on got no respect, or acknowledgement, until he got game time.

VN Store

Back