'12 SC DT David Deleon

DeLeon, who said he mostly played defensive end last season in a 3-4 system but is being recruited primarily as a defensive tackle, described the offer from UT as "very big for me."

-gvx247sports
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Offer list is not the best. Usually not a good sign when, on rivals at least, he does not have offers from the two big instate schools.

He's team mates with Martin Aiken, another prospect that has a vol offer. Maybe a packaged deal...

Offer list is not the best. Usually not a good sign when, on rivals at least, he does not have offers from the two big instate schools.

Yet he has offers from places pretty far away like Colorado and Illinois. Seems a bit strange. Still though, it's early.

A 3-4 in highschool isn't designed to highlight the 3 down lineman. It really highlights LB play.

If he has the quickness to play 3-4 DE technique and the size and strength to play DT in a 4-3, then he should be a good prospect.

A 3-4 in highschool isn't designed to highlight the 3 down lineman. It really highlights LB play.

If he has the quickness to play 3-4 DE technique and the size and strength to play DT in a 4-3, then he should be a good prospect.

If he's 270 and really running a 4.88 forty time then he sounds like a very good athlete.

i never knew there were so many recruiting experts?????

Please remember that you need players that can play and develope. imo- You can not recruit for every player to come in and play as a true freshmen. 5-10 players is ideal. The rest you want to peak as Sophmore and Juniors. This is how you build a stable program that will win over time.

i never knew there were so many recruiting experts?????

Please remember that you need players that can play and develope. imo- You can not recruit for every player to come in and play as a true freshmen. 5-10 players is ideal. The rest you want to peak as Sophmore and Juniors. This is how you build a stable program that will win over time.

I think part of the problem is that we will only be able to take about 20 kids in next year's class. IMHO, we need a higher percentage of college ready kids because the class will be so small.

I think part of the problem is that we will only be able to take about 20 kids in next year's class. IMHO, we need a higher percentage of college ready kids because the class will be so small.

Doesn't the fact that the class has to be small mean that we don't have to take as many college ready kids, or is my logic screwed up? Seems to me if you have to recruit 30, you better get some guys that are ready to play. If 20 gets you 85, then depth isn't as big of an issue.

Doesn't the fact that the class has to be small mean that we don't have to take as many college ready kids, or is my logic screwed up? Seems to me if you have to recruit 30, you better get some guys that are ready to play. If 20 gets you 85, then depth isn't as big of an issue.

This would be accurate if past recruiting classes provided the depth that's necessary right now. We may be close to capacity scholarship wise but this is deceiving because many are not the kind of solid contributors we need. See the '09 class for an example of what I mean.

This would be accurate if past recruiting classes provided the depth that's necessary right now. We may be close to capacity scholarship wise but this is deceiving because many are not the kind of solid contributors we need. See the '09 class for an example of what I mean.

Yeah. Makes sense.

Just trying to see if everyone had their thinking caps on!

Our 2012 class will have fewer signees and not all will be impact players, but we have to get impact players at DT and LB. Our depth at TE could also use some help, but in theory your assestment sounds good.

We need 2, maybe 3 TE's including immediate help there, currently we have Rivera, Clear who is a borderline tackle and Downs who needs a redshirt

Quick question regarding the potentially much smaller signing class for 2012 previously mentioned.

If it begins to look like space is becoming an issue based on the number of high quality recruits CDD & Co. have wanting to commit to UT by NSD 2013, would they be able/allowed to kick some folks to the curb that have been in the program for a few years, but just haven't found a way to compete at a high enough level to break into a 2 deep rotation? I assume he could privately encourage such players to consider opting for a transfer to a JC or elsewhere fairly early on next season if he sees this becoming an issue. If 3-5 guys did transfer at that point, would we be allowed to bring in 3-5 more recruits in turn?

I haven't been following recruiting long enough to have experienced this issue previously and if we still have DT, DE, LB, & TE as positions of need by mid-season, wouldn't it make sense to start building a little more room in the class to ensure these needs have the best chance of being filled?

Also, when do you all think we will see our first commit for this year? Any guesses as to who it will be?

I got so pumped and excited on NSD, but felt a bit let down that we didn't land a big DT. I'm ready to experience some recruiting excitement again already!

Go Vols!

Quick question regarding the potentially much smaller signing class for 2012 previously mentioned.

If it begins to look like space is becoming an issue based on the number of high quality recruits CDD & Co. have wanting to commit to UT by NSD 2013, would they be able/allowed to kick some folks to the curb that have been in the program for a few years, but just haven't found a way to compete at a high enough level to break into a 2 deep rotation? I assume he could privately encourage such players to consider opting for a transfer to a JC or elsewhere fairly early on next season if he sees this becoming an issue. If 3-5 guys did transfer at that point, would we be allowed to bring in 3-5 more recruits in turn?

I haven't been following recruiting long enough to have experienced this issue previously and if we still have DT, DE, LB, & TE as positions of need by mid-season, wouldn't it make sense to start building a little more room in the class to ensure these needs have the best chance of being filled?

Also, when do you all think we will see our first commit for this year? Any guesses as to who it will be?

I got so pumped and excited on NSD, but felt a bit let down that we didn't land a big DT. I'm ready to experience some recruiting excitement again already!

Go Vols!

UT did land a big time DT, M. Couch. There will probably be some more natural attrition so nobody really knows how the numbers are going to play out untill late into the fall. There's several ways UT can play with the numbers, but untill UT is actually at the 85 mark... projections on some being asked to look elsewhere might be slim atm.

Just seems like there has been a lot of names in past years' recruiting classes that haven't amounted to much. I'd rather the coaches run guys off that don't want to work hard or are bigger problems for the team in some way than their contributions warrant, rather than turning away potential talent. Especially at our positions of need. One thing I have learned from this past year that I never believed about football before, one single player can make a massive difference in a season. I have always known this about basketball, but believed football required too many guys working together to be successful for any one single player to lift a program's entire season to another level. Just don't want to regret not having room for someone that ends up being an impact player for one of our competitors down the road. That irks me.

VN Store

Back