Bruce Pearl's future and this team

tvolsfan

VN GURU
I'm not sure how much the play is actually affected by this, but if UT does have to fire Pearl after this season, does anyone think it would be better to announce it sooner rather than later? If the uncertainty of Pearl's job is affecting the team's performance, I would think the best option would be him announcing that he'll resign after this season or something to that effect. We may have some ugly games after that, but I think that in the long run it may be much better than 15 more games of unfocused basketball and a first round tournament exit.

I know people will probably think that if the players find out Pearl is gone, everything will get much worse, but I always feel like knowing what will happen, even if it's not what I prefer, always allows me to focus better than being unsure of what to expect.

Hamilton went all in with Pearl at least until the NCAA announces its decision.

I wouldn't speculate on losing coach Pearl, but I find it interesting that:

If the NCAA hits him with a full force penalty, the Mike Slime suspension will amount to an unnecessary and undeserved penalty, not only for Pearl but UT's program.
And that, I'm afraid, is all too possible.

Which seems silly. Won't that just make all the sanctions worse? And after that, it would be the same end result for the coach.

You need to understand that the NCAA cannot fire CBP. They don not have that power. Only the University can fire pearl. I do believe that there will be more sanctions against the Vols but CBP is going to still be there. If not the university would have already let him go or he would have resigned. CBP is going to be our coach for years to come and there is going to be a national title in ther somewhere. GO VOLS!!

Which seems silly. Won't that just make all the sanctions worse? And after that, it would be the same end result for the coach.
Definitely a gamble. Don't know what his angle is. To save face? Salvage the '10-11 season? To delay the inevitable? What's done is done, but it's looking like a pretty terrible decision. Regardless of what happens with the NCAA I think cleaning house was the way to go.

I just don't know what's going to happen. This is not the same team that played Pittsburgh.

You need to understand that the NCAA cannot fire CBP. They don not have that power. Only the University can fire pearl. I do believe that there will be more sanctions against the Vols but CBP is going to still be there. If not the university would have already let him go or he would have resigned. CBP is going to be our coach for years to come and there is going to be a national title in ther somewhere. GO VOLS!!
If Hamilton doesn't fire Pearl and UT gets much worse sanctions because of it and has to get rid of Pearl anyways, Hamilton should be beaten savagely.

This is the same team that played at Pitt. This is just a team with a different mentality. We were like in the top 4 in the country getting to the free throw line in the beginning of the season. I mean like 30+ a game. We have gotten away from that and it is killing us. Look what happened when we attacked the basket in the second half. We tied it up and went into overtime. Then we went away from it and lost the game. That is the strength of our team. Driving the basketball. It forces teams to get out of position and we either get a layup or wide open 3 pointer. Or get fouled and go to the line.

I'm sure the NCAA will include "the sanctions are worse because you didn't fire the guy" on the letter.

I don't think he had another alternative considering the timing. I would be willing to bet that if Hamilton believes that canning Pearl will help us avoid catastrophic sanctions, that's exactly what he'll do.

I'm not sure how much the play is actually affected by this, but if UT does have to fire Pearl after this season, does anyone think it would be better to announce it sooner rather than later? If the uncertainty of Pearl's job is affecting the team's performance, I would think the best option would be him announcing that he'll resign after this season or something to that effect. We may have some ugly games after that, but I think that in the long run it may be much better than 15 more games of unfocused basketball and a first round tournament exit.

I know people will probably think that if the players find out Pearl is gone, everything will get much worse, but I always feel like knowing what will happen, even if it's not what I prefer, always allows me to focus better than being unsure of what to expect.

Why does everyone keep saying "if" they fire Pearl? He just signed his new contract and the NCAA doesn't have authority to fire Pearl. Besides, even if we do get the hammer thrown at us, Pearl can get us back out and there aren't many other coaches out there who could revitalize this program yet again. Pearl is UT Basketball now and in the future, like it or not.

If Hamilton doesn't fire Pearl and UT gets much worse sanctions because of it and has to get rid of Pearl anyways, Hamilton should be beaten savagely.

We will not get worse sanctions bc we didnt fire our coach.

We know something is coming a most likely not good. I just wish they'd go ahead and announce what the punishment is. I hate drama, and this is way too much drama. The garbage ran across the Espn ticker before the game even started.

He lied, all the facts are out. He had a couple guys over for a piece of grilled chicken that weren't supposed to have a piece of grilled chicken. Nothing else is coming out. No rumors of grade fixing or money being exchanged. Get off your butts NCAA and get it over with please.

He lied, all the facts are out. He had a couple guys over for a piece of grilled chicken that weren't supposed to have a piece of grilled chicken. Nothing else is coming out. No rumors of grade fixing or money being exchanged. Get off your butts NCAA and get it over with please.

:lolabove: This, plain and simple. NCAA takes their time with UT that's for sure. They probably already made their decision many months ago.

I think the NCAA will come down hard on U.T. They have to show that they are the sheriff in town. I expect a loss of one scholarship in 2012 and one in 2013. I expect Pearl to be suspended for a year. I expect to not be allowed to go to post-season play for two years.
No, the NCAA can't fire Pearl, but they can make it known that if we don't fire Pearl, then they will ride us harder.
At some point, I expect Pearl to be gone and we will be left with hiring a coach that no one else wanted. I mean, who wants to take over a program when it is on probation?
Once the probation is over, we will hire a better coach and with the new coach, it should take about 5 years for us to get back in the NCAA tournament. In all, the program will be down for 7 or 8 years.
Once the punishment is announced, I think that Hamilton will fire Pearl for "Just Cause"
I could be wrong, but I realize that the NCAA does what they want, when they want and to who they want.

Interesting angle. Hamilton had to do what he did though. The moment that the utad finds out the sanctions will be an interesting time.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree with everything except the CBP being our coach for years to come and a national title coming our way.

Not gonna happen. Pearl will be gone soon.

I like how the commentators last night said there is no coaching comparison to what Pearl did. He lied to the NCAA investigators. Caught with his pants down. He should have been fired then and there. Tennessee men's basketball went from the talk of the town to the laughing stock of the nation. The sooner he is gone the better for the program.

well if the attendance has anything to do with it Pearl will be fired. It's Buzz ball over again at TBA. Even when we were 7th in the country and just had 2 top 10 wins the upper bowl was empty. I've been buying last row tickets and sitting where ever I wan't the whole year. GO VOLS beat Vandy..

The NCAA may not be able to fire Pearl but they sure as heck can place UT in a position where we have no choice but to do it.

VN Store

Back