Funny Spurrier Quotes

WA_Vol

When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, "is Ray Goff still the head coach there?"

Insulted Florida State University as Free Shoes University (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes).

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee "You can't spell Citrus without UT" and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"

in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying; "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!"

Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as Ray Goof;

Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"

When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said; "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama"; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s)

Responded to a question of;Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?; at a South Carolina alumni meeting with ; "The same way Vanderbilt did."

In honor of the SC game, here are a few Spurrier jabs:When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question, Ray Goff still the head coach there?Insulted Florida State University as "Free Shoes University" (after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes) . Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee ("You can't spell Citrus without UT") and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning ("I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP"), in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC. Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying "But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!" Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as "Ray Goof". Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying; "How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?"When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said, "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama."; But then he immediately added the punch: "Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours." (in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s) Responded to a question of "Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?"
Call him quotable, witty, clever, or whatever you want to call him. I think he's classless.

Give me an example of another top-level coach who has to resort to that kind of commentary about other schools, players, and coaches. There's no question that his success against other SEC schools is outstanding - he's an outstanding coach. His wisea$$ comments are unneccassary though.

Call him quotable, witty, clever, or whatever you want to call him. I think he's classless.

Give me an example of another top-level coach who has to resort to that kind of commentary about other schools, players, and coaches. There's no question that his success against other SEC schools is outstanding - he's an outstanding coach. His wisea$$ comments are unneccassary though.
He doesn't have to resort to those barbs, he does it for fun. I enjoy it immensely.

It sure would be nice to be able to edit posts of pasted information by adding blank lines

Yeah, he is very enjoyable, very entertaining. Anyone crying about his comments need to pull their panties out of a wad.

a_spurrier_i.jpg
Spurrier personally promised a Redskins-beat-Dallas game ball when he was hired after last season. "I just told him I'm sorry," Spurrier said. "We're just not good enough to beat 'em right now."

Yeah, he is very enjoyable, very entertaining. Anyone crying about his comments need to pull their panties out of a wad.

I don't know if anyone is crying about his comments. It's certainly not an emotional topic for me, anyway. I just prefer a coach with a little more humility.

I think the wisea$$ approach is stale. If he were our coach, I'd feel the same way. I wouldn't complain about his ability to produce championship quality teams - again, I think he's a helluva coach...I just think he lacks tact from time to time.

I will say, however, that I prefer Spurrier's routine to John L. Smith's self-slapping in press conferences.

When asked if his Florida team would beat Georgia one year, he responded with the question,
is Ray Goff still the head coach there?
Insulted Florida State University as
Free Shoes University
(after a shoe store gave Florida State players free shoes) .

Questioned the abilities of Head Coach Phillip Fulmer of Tennessee
You can't spell Citrus without UT
and former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning,
I know why Peyton came back for his senior year: he wanted to be a three-time Citrus Bowl MVP
in reference to the Citrus Bowl being the designated bowl for the second-choice team from the SEC.

Poked fun at a fire that burned 20 books at an Auburn University football dorm, saying
But the real tragedy was that fifteen hadn't been colored yet!
Often referred to Georgia Head Coach Ray Goff as
Imitated Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, sticking his finger into a camera and saying
How y'all like my Kenny Rogers impression?
When talking about recruiting at South Carolina, Spurrier mentioned that he signed a player from the state of Alabama, offering a comparison to his recruiting when at Florida, said,
In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama.
But then he immediately added the punch:
Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.
in reference to the University of Alabama recruiting violations in the early 2000s.

Responded to a question of
Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year?
at a South Carolina alumni meeting with
The same way Vanderbilt did.

Cleaned up the OP.

When Spurrier went to the Redskins, he was asked if he thought it would be tougher than coaching college ball. He said "yes, because they're no Vanderbilts in the NFL".

I dislike Steve Spurrier in the way a rivalry creates. If he coached the University of Tennessee, I would be giggling like a little schoolgirl. He's hilarious, has plenty of class, and happens to make funny jokes.

Stevie boy is in his perfect job. The second half of South Carolina's mascot name suits him to a T......

Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

It was a pretty tough poke at us, but I actually think "You can't spell Citrus with UT" was one of the most original sports lines since "You know, 90% of the game is half mental" - btw, was the latter a Yogi Berra line?

this is not verbatim, but here it is anyway from OBC's press conf. tues. in reference to tenn.

it wouldnt bother me if they were making jokes about me. but its usually the team thats winning that gets to make the jokes.

Say what you want to say about Spurrier,I hated losing to him as much as any Vol fan,but I'm glad he's back.It just wasn't the same without ole Steve in the SEC.Great coach.

Agreed, beating a good coach is much more fullfilling than beating say,Shula

Spurrier's cracks are always comical IMO. I agree with some of the others' posts, it is great to have him back in the SEC. :good!:

VN Store

Back