Wilcox staying in Knoxville

Your opinion doesn't make him "not the right guy". He is a good coach. If he wasn't Dooley nor Texas would have want him. Period.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Wilcox wasn't the first choice for either Tennessee or Texas.

Your opinion doesn't make him "not the right guy". He is a good coach. If he wasn't Dooley nor Texas would have want him. Period.

Right, which is why I'm not giving an opinion on him. The sample that we'll be able to judge from after next year will tell the tale a lot more.... Which is what I said. So much for reading comprehension.

soucres just aint what they used to be...i wish someone would make a list of those who were here pushing his departure as a fact...we could color code thier name in red so we know to ignore them in the future

im glad hes staying, its best for the program

Long time donor and season ticket holder and have many, many friends within Athletic Department and many more outside AD that get information also. Been doing this message board stuff since the 90s so have built a large network of sources.

cliff notes version..

Thanks for info and also the class way you do it. Somehow that get's lost on here way to much!!! GBO:salute:

When LWSVOL say's it, this is "the link":rock2:

LWSvol is sort of like "Harold" from the old B/W TV advertising days. For the folks who are baby boomers on here and Tennesseans surely you remember "Harold."

"You should always know diamonds. You should always know your jeweler. And if Harold says it's so, it's so. Harold (last name I forgot) your jeweler."

Just substitute "Harold" for LWSVOL and "diamond" for Vols, and "jeweler" for source.

I guess all Dooley's comments weren't coach speak after all. I forgive all who called me crazy for believing it. Happy New Year!

Dooley's comments weren't what everyone labelled as empty coachspeak; Wilcox's were. And if you still doubt that was the case, then just look at how easily he made the whole story go away yesterday, and ask yourself why he didn't do it last week when it was still a major potential distraction before the bowl game. All you have to do is say "I'm not going anywhere" or "I'm not a candidate," and the story goes away. He didn't do that last week; he did it yesterday. If he was never a candidate (at least in his own mind) why'd he wait to make the distraction go away until after it didn't matter anymore?

We fans rarely have any idea what's really going on with coaching moves. All we can say for sure is that last week Wilcox did not act like a guy who had absolutely no interest in changing jobs.

What two coaches are you talking about?

Thanks for your posts, Larry.

I'm curious about this, too. The way one of your other posts read, it appears that one of these coaches may be gone. The only ones I've heard rumored to be at odds are Smith/Wilcox. If Wilcox is staying. . .

Thanks for your posts, Larry.

I'm curious about this, too. The way one of your other posts read, it appears that one of these coaches may be gone. The only ones I've heard rumored to be at odds are Smith/Wilcox. If Wilcox is staying. . .

The guys on the defensive side of the ball have had problems working together this year. Keep in mind, none of the 4 have ever worked together before. 2 of the 4 have never worked at this level in college. They have had a lot of problems getting on the same page. Don't be surprised at tweaking on the D side.

I'm glad he's staying myself. We don't need a shakeup at this point. We just need some great DTs and some hard hitting Head Hunting Hawks that can freaking wrap up and tackle.

"Hard hitting head hunting hawks" -- isn't that what JJ got penalized for being!?

Wilcox wasn't the first choice for either Tennessee or Texas.

Doesn't mean he still wasn't wanted by them. Your statement assumes if you dont get your first choice you take anyone.

Right, which is why I'm not giving an opinion on him. The sample that we'll be able to judge from after next year will tell the tale a lot more.... Which is what I said. So much for reading comprehension.

Correct. That is part of what you said.

Turnovers and sacks stop drives on defense... I think Wilcox has been able to stop drives as well as Chavis and Monte despite our youth and high yardage allowed this season. I think/hope our defensive will show exponential improvement between this year and next; I'm glad Wilcox is staying.

Correct. That is part of what you said.

No... that is all that I said. If he isn't the right guy, then it'll be the results on the field that bear that out which is why I said that we don't have a good enough sample to judge him on right now. Same deal with Dooley.

But, if we're going 7-5 or so in 2012, then I want new coaches whether it "ruins continuity" or not in your opinion. Continuity will fall in line with everything else with the right coaching staff. Dooley and his staff may be that coaching staff, but if they're not, then I want them gone as soon as possible. Again, so much for reading comprehension.

A guy on another board said if *Oregon wins the national championship, he wouldn't be surprised if their DC, who has been with Oregon for about 20 years retired, and they would likely target Wilcox (an Oregon grad).

I doubt he would turn down Texas and then jump to The ducks. But with Phil knight's money you never know. The above paragraph is from another poster, can't use quote feature in mobile.

A guy on another board said if *Oregon wins the national championship, he wouldn't be surprised if their DC, who has been with Oregon for about 20 years retired, and they would likely target Wilcox (an Oregon grad).

I doubt he would turn down Texas and then jump to The ducks. But with Phil knight's money you never know. The above paragraph is from another poster, can't use quote feature in mobile.

I would think that falls under the catagory of his dream job.....I would expect if the DC position opens at Oregon, Wilcox would jump in it.

If Oregon came calling Wilcox would leave. Guaranteed. In other DC news, rumors are heating up that Kirby Smart may indeed be headed to FL.

Well they won't win so its all good.

funny thing is why would any team want him his defense has gave up 10 points in less than a minute in the bowl game, gave up a 4 and 14 at LSU and then tried to play defense with 13 men on the field. i would think after a year like that i would have to look at other options

If Oregon came calling Wilcox would leave. Guaranteed. In other DC news, rumors are heating up that Kirby Smart may indeed be headed to FL.

I know they're good friends, but it seems like a bad move to me since Muschamp has said he's going to run the defense. I think it would make more sense for Smart to go be a DC for an offensive-minded head coach.

funny thing is why would any team want him his defense has gave up 10 points in less than a minute in the bowl game, gave up a 4 and 14 at LSU and then tried to play defense with 13 men on the field. i would think after a year like that i would have to look at other options

That one minute wouldn't have mattered without the exemplary defense in the 59 other minutes (UNC averaged 4.6 yards per play in the 59 other minutes, 3.0 in the 2nd-4th quarters, down from their season average of 5.7). The defense of the two-minute drill should improve when we get more experience in the secondary. Our nickel package includes 2 freshmen and 3 sophomores, and we don't even have enough players for a dime package. If it's still that bad next year, we'll talk.

VN Store

Back