Official Boxing thread

We sure do. Wonder what the split will be? Bet it is very favorable to Manny.

Milo, you are right about Floyd. He is such a mess, who knows if it ever happens. He has some other things to worry about I guess.

I have a good friend at PSU that is back home in Vegas. She lives three houses down from Floyd, I'll ask her if she's noticed anything more unusual than normal.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Milo, you are right about Floyd. He is such a mess, who knows if it ever happens. He has some other things to worry about I guess.

And it just keeps getting worse for him.

I have a good friend at PSU that is back home in Vegas. She lives three houses down from Floyd, I'll ask her if she's noticed anything more unusual than normal.

I hope she treats the neighborhood security guards better than he does.

Is there not any exciting boxers out there for Manny to face??

Mosley was not who I was expecting.

Is there not any exciting boxers out there for Manny to face??

Sure, but none of them will sell a ticket and, more specifically, a PPV like Mosley's name will. Marquez could've been in the same ballpark because of the Mexican audience but I still don't think it would've resonated as well as Mosley will. Berto makes the most sense from a fight perspective but his name carries no weight yet. The other name you'll hear (looking at you JTrain) is Martinez which is definitely interesting but I think that might finally be where Manny might bite off more than he can chew, weight wise.

But I'm pretty sure that Manny is completely hands off in the selection of his opposition, he leaves that up to Top Rank and, to a certain extent, Roach.

By contrast, Freddie wanted no part of putting Amir Khan in with Maidana 2 weeks ago but Khan apparently didn't like hearing the glass jaw criticism so he pushed for the puncher everybody wanted him to fight. He won and answered his critics, barely. Manny won't do that, I don't think it has anything to do with concern on his part, he just doesn't care. I think FMJ was the only one who really got him worked up as a guy he really wanted to fight, but that still would have been everybody's ideal because it would have been the biggest payday out there also, which is all that matters in the end.

I heard Mosley was their third choice. Makes sense on the financial side I guess. The fight will suck but it'll sell ppv decently based on name brand.

Mayweather obviously the first choice, was Marquez second?

Wonder what the estimated payday is?

I don't know if Manny can shrink enough to fight JMM at a fair weight. Im upset that they didn't get another one together, I think JMM got him last time out.

I don't know if Manny can shrink enough to fight JMM at a fair weight. Im upset that they didn't get another one together, I think JMM got him last time out.

Don't think Manny would have to, JMM would chase him up to whatever catchweight Pac's side set on. Then we'd get an old, slow, bloated Marquez again, worse than the Floyd version.

Don't think Manny would have to, JMM would chase him up to whatever catchweight Pac's side set on. Then we'd get an old, slow, bloated Marquez again, worse than the Floyd version.

That's what I was getting at.

The Marquez brothers were mismanaged out of so much money when they were coming up, that they haven't had the paydays you'd expect them to have until this point. JMM moving up to fight Pacquiao, especially after the Floyd debacle, would be nothing else than a final payday, as that fight could have career ending implications.

Because it's a decent place for a catch-all for boxing related talk, rather than starting a new thread for any random thought or mention.

Of course, reading through it before making a dip**** remark probably would have shown you that, no?

Come on now JTrain, obviously by continuing to post in a thread that he'd never read we were offending him in the worst possible way.

Apparently caused a name change, though.

So David Haye has dodged another Klitschko, go figure. The biggest Heavyweight problem is that the brothers are so technically superior to everyone in the weight class that it is career suicide to get in the ropes with either, for fear of being made to look like a fool.

Look at Mikkel Kessler after he built a resume of cab drivers and bouncers, then got chased around the ring by Joe Calzaghe, who left the ring like he'd just climbed out of a hot tub at club med.

Bullshat that JMM isn't getting another shot at Manny, as IMHO he beat him convincingly last time out. But we do get to see JMM in April against my all time favorite, "The Fighting Pride of Tijuana, Mexico" as Michael Buffer would say. We'll see how the break works for Erik.

It's my opinion that had Morales not gone for the kill in the 8th-9th rounds of the 2nd Pacquiao fight, than the average laissez faire boxing fan would have never heard of Manny Pacquiao. Being a TJ fighter, Erik kept moving forward and got rocked.

Also, that is when I'm convinced Manny started juicing, between Morales II and III.

Thank you, sir.

So David Haye has dodged another Klitschko, go figure. The biggest Heavyweight problem is that the brothers are so technically superior to everyone in the weight class that it is career suicide to get in the ropes with either, for fear of being made to look like a fool.

Not giving up on this one just yet, I know I'm being a bit naive, but they said they got the money figured but couldn't find a date that worked for both so Wlad rescheduled Chisora so he didn't sit for a year. I don't think Haye would win but his speed with pretty good size would at least make for a compelling heavyweight fight, which are basically extinct these days. I'm still hoping they find a way for somthing later this year.

Bullshat that JMM isn't getting another shot at Manny, as IMHO he beat him convincingly last time out. But we do get to see JMM in April against my all time favorite, "The Fighting Pride of Tijuana, Mexico" as Michael Buffer would say. We'll see how the break works for Erik.

I think saying "convincingly" might be a bit of a stretch, I thought that fight was a draw but, gun to the head situation, I'd have picked JMM also. As for Morales, I'm not looking forward to this fight because I don't think it's going to be pretty for EM and I really don't want to see that happen. JMM has slowed lately and isn't the same fighter he was but Morales is way too far gone at this point. I want to think of him as the guy who warred with Barrera, not the guy who got killed by JMM in his last fight. I guess, though, as a boxing fan, I don't know what else I expected.

YouTube - Barrera Morales

Ahh, much better...

You don't think that Morales has Manny within one solid counter straight of going down in the 2nd fight?

But either way, I tend to think Erik will be guns ready to engage against JMM. That said, I don't think it likely Erik wins, but he can, if the time off treated him well..

You understand why Morales is my favorite of all time, and why JMM is up there, and if it is that kind of fight, who knows what happens. Manny will never drop to 130 or 135 to fight the winner, so it's all for naught, but I think the winner would have a puncher's chance of giving him the business at that weight.

Kelly is out of rehab, what do you think about that? Will Joe go for a payday and whip him, or will he beat the snot out of Kessler?

VN Store

Back