Florida and Alabama Rivalries Revisited...

AJeray4TN

His Shirts Don't Wrinkle
After hearing Dooley's comments about Muschamp this morning, I got to thinking. (I know, dangerous right? I'll try not to hurt myself)

We all know that the Tennessee-Alabama rivalry is what college football is all about. For the most part, it's always been a respectful hatred.

Enter Phil Fulmer, a court battle, taped conversations, and a media day subpoena. At this point the rivalry took a little bit more of a bitter turn.

Likewise, the Tennessee-Florida rivalry really got ratcheted up in 90's with Spurrier and UT's inability to shut the old ball coach down. Fast forward a few years and we didn't do much better against Urban either, not to mention Kiffin trying to start world war III at Florida's expense.

My point/question moving forward is how do these rivalries evolve now that the three coaches at the top are BFFs? I don't necessarily think they change at all, I just think it's interesting how the dynamic has changed in such a short amount of time.

I don't think the friendships matter so much as the fact that we have a coach that has some class and a law degree, meaning he'll be polite in public and smart in private.

I agree. There seems to be a lot more class at the table now.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Tenn-bama rivalry will always be one of the finest in the country IMO no matter who the coaches are. Growing up in the 90's and 00's, i will always despise the swamp lizards. but i think as we become more talented and get back on our feet, the rivalries will grow back into what they once were

Just because the coaches are buddies don't mean its going to change what goes on on the field. I think it might actually make it a little more intense.

Tenn-bama rivalry will always be one of the finest in the country IMO no matter who the coaches are. Growing up in the 90's and 00's, i will always despise the swamp lizards. but i think as we become more talented and get back on our feet, the rivalries will grow back into what they once were

I've heard this, and thought this, before. However, looking back, I've only ever seen the Vols beat Florida 6 times (to their 17) in my lifetime. At what point was it a great rivalry? As much as I hate it, the Gators have simply dominated us for the better part of two decades.

I've heard this, and thought this, before. However, looking back, I've only ever seen the Vols beat Florida 6 times (to their 17) in my lifetime. At what point was it a great rivalry? As much as I hate it, the Gators have simply dominated us for the better part of two decades.

man if you would've been in that swamp in 2001, getting cussed, people trying to fight you, all the hatred thrown your wa leading up to the game, and then watching an 18 point underdog squad march right in and take down the lizards! thats why this rivalry means so much to me, since that very night! boy there sure was a lot of beer drinkin that night. god that was such an awesome night especially all the circumstances leading up to it, i.e. post 9/11! i miss those days :cray:

on a side note, how do you post a picture in a thread. not a link to one, but where the pic will show up automaticlly? TIA

Ironic that 3 friends end up as head coaches at the 3 best schools in the SEC.....i guess it will be "my friend is better than your friend"

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Gators, and I DO remember those moments! I DO remember 2004 and the FG to win, standing next to my Gator friend at a bar in Texas. Still, it's just not much of a rivalry I guess in the sense that a lot of others are. I guess I'm just tired of getting handled by them.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Gators, and I DO remember those moments! I DO remember 2004 and the FG to win, standing next to my Gator friend at a bar in Texas. Still, it's just not much of a rivalry I guess in the sense that a lot of others are. I guess I'm just tired of getting handled by them.

yea i can see your point.

After seeing the title of this thread, I thought Mike is negotiating another buy-out with gators and Fama to make the schedule easier for Dooley.

Ultimately, I think every one of these SEC coaches know that their success is directly attributed to how they do in these rivalries. For CDD that means beating Alabama, Florida and Georgia along with continued success against Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

Likewise, the Tennessee-Florida rivalry really got ratcheted up in 90's with Spurrier and UT's inability to shut the old ball coach down. Fast forward a few years and we didn't do much better against Urban either, not to mention Kiffin trying to start world war III at Florida's expense.

We were winless against Meyer.

This is accurate. I chuckle about some people's references to the 90's as "UT's decade of dominance" as Raveheart recently posted. For a decade of dominance we sure did get our asses handed to us on a regular basis by one of our big rivals.

competing against one another has a way of destroying friendships.

we'll see how long they remain buddies.

competing against one another has a way of destroying friendships.

we'll see how long they remain buddies.

I think in the age of multi-million dollar contracts, these guys are bright enough to coexist. I mean just look at the current landscape, allegiances only go so far anymore. Compete on Saturdays, play golf on Sundays. That's why I posted the initial "musing" if you will. I personally don't think anything will change on the field, but no one can deny that it's an interesting dynamic.

The Florida rivalry is important because usually the SEC east is at stake in that game....The Alabama rivalry is a battle between two historic programs with big name head coaches and great history....Some say Auburn is their biggest rival...I think only because they are an instate team is why because to Auburn the UGA rivalry is just as fierce...Crazy how it works but to me Alabama will always be the team I want to beat more than any other.

I like how we are all Baylor fans now!

EDIT: Never mind, erroneous fan badges have disappeared.

The Florida rivalry is important because usually the SEC east is at stake in that game....The Alabama rivalry is a battle between two historic programs with big name head coaches and great history....Some say Auburn is their biggest rival...I think only because they are an instate team is why because to Auburn the UGA rivalry is just as fierce...Crazy how it works but to me Alabama will always be the team I want to beat more than any other.

I agree, I hate Florida with a passion but I remember a time when the tide use to step on our chest and laugh at us. And some of us has forgotten and the youngsters don't know but we had a pretty good rivalry with auburn back in the 80's.

I don't think it matters if they are all friends, I imagine back in the day that Bryant, Dooley, Dickey, vaught etc were all good friends. Some may call it a good ol boy system, I call it respect
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think you guys have a one year head start on UF. What I mean is a new coach has to get the players to buy in to his system. Some players will leave rather than bend to the coaches demands. This is necessary. After all players buy in it's good to have a senior laden class that's augmented by talented underclassmen.
UF has as much talent as any team in the nation. We'll see how long it takes Muschamp to get them to buy in, or will he be afraid to run off the talented trouble makers.

Definitely a different day and age. I don't know if i can get used to the idea of Dooley vacationing with Saban in the offseason. Muschamp and Dooley both speak highly of one another. I miss the days when we all hated each other with a passion, good times.

CWM's first SEC game at UF will be aginst CDD's TN team. Lets hope UF gets off to a 0-1 SEC start in the CWM era.

VN Store

Back