Great Middle School Programs in the State.

Volst53

Bang Bang
I know it isn't high school, but I was wondering about some of the better middle school programs. I would also know what kind of system they run if you happen to know.

I know that Oneida and Huntsville both have great programs in my area.

J.T. Moore in Nashville won the city title like 9 years in a row. I hated them when i was in 8th grade.

Clinton middle in Anderson county tn has had alot of good teams I know from like my 4th to my 8th grade years they won it all like three times and I think they won it like twice more since I graduated hs in 08. The highschool never has much of a team anymore so I can't say the kids go on to have great seasons there but the middle school is great.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I believe I heard on the radio this week that Maryville's middle school went undefeated this year. Doesn't appear that yesterday's championship will be their last.

South Pittsburg has a good jr high program .We don't have a middle school there . they went like 3 or 4 years without losing a game .

It depends on how you define a "good middle school program." I would argue that it has very little to do with winning State middle school championships or games and has much more to do with coaching the fundamentals of the game and having excellent facilities to properly train and develop these young kids. Schools like MUS and Brentwood Academy have a huge advantage when it comes to coaching staffs, weight room, rehab facilities, practice fields, etc. mostly b/c they are private schools and have lots of $$$. The junior development programs at these schools are WORLD CLASS and most of the kids who attend are already overachievers in the classroom.

Of course, where those schools fall short is in numbers. The talent pool is only so big when you have 75-125 boys per grade at those schools. Regardless, look for CDD to snap up kids from these type of in-state schools when they have the talent to play in the SEC -- they are just the type of kids he is looking for.

I believe I heard on the radio this week that Maryville's middle school went undefeated this year. Doesn't appear that yesterday's championship will be their last.

Most will tell you the last three mms teams are there most talented yet.

Last years was the best. I played aganist them.

I watched them against Carpenter's in the championship game in 09 and they were probably the best looking middle school team I've ever seen.

I watched them against Carpenter's in the championship game in 09 and they were probably the best looking middle school team I've ever seen.

That wasn't Carpenters that was my team Union Grove. Yeah they beat us pretty bad. But in the regular season we had them both times and blew the lead in the last minutes of the game both times. We could have played them way better though.

Wait sorry. Excuse me. I guess your talking about Football not Basketball. Yes. They are one of the best if not the Best Maryville team ever maybe.

Milan had a very good one when I was growing up, I suppose it still does...

In Middle and East Tennessee:

1. Brentwood Academy
2. MBA
3. Maryville
4. JT Moore
5. Fulton

FYI: Carlton Flatt is back at Brentwood Academy coaching the middle school. Legend Jimmy Gentry is back by his side. That makes BA middle unbeatable. This is from experience.

FYI: Carlton Flatt is back at Brentwood Academy coaching the middle school. Legend Jimmy Gentry is back by his side. That makes BA middle unbeatable. This is from experience.

BA v. MBA was a very good game this year.

It actually starts a lot earlier than middle school. The Smyrna Parade I was at today I saw Peewee State Champs 5-6, AAA State Champs 11-12 yeat olds, CCC State Champs-7-8 year olds and C State Champs-lower division-State Champs.

Norwood Middle School in Oliver Springs has a pretty good ms team, has only had a program for 3 years won a championship in its second year. They ran a spread offense this year and the QB passed for over 1300 yards and 18 TD passes and had a RB run for over 1400 yards. the 09 team championship team ran a pro style offense and had a rb rush for over 2000 yards and 24 td's and the qb passed for over 800 yards. The RB Austin West started at OSHS as a freshman playing slot rec. and some rb had a pretty good year, the kid will play at the next level.

Knox Fulton's 12-14 year old program is pretty good. They've gone to a couple of national tournaments, and nearly won one or two.

I know it isn't high school, but I was wondering about some of the better middle school programs. I would also know what kind of system they run if you happen to know.

I know that Oneida and Huntsville both have great programs in my area.

I know when I lived in Kentucky we played Oneida and Huntsville in middle school. Oneida beat us 28-0 in our "good year" and Huntsville beat us 74-0 the year before that when we went 0-8 or 0-10 however many games you play in a season. Huntsville was just awesome.

I know when I lived in Kentucky we played Oneida and Huntsville in middle school. Oneida beat us 28-0 in our "good year" and Huntsville beat us 74-0 the year before that when we went 0-8 or 0-10 however many games you play in a season. Huntsville was just awesome.

Coach Diggs was an amazing coach at Huntsville.

I coach at Jefferson Middle School in Jefferson City (1st year). JMS has won more conference championships than any other middle school in the state. We've won 6 of the last 8. We went 7-1 this year and won the conference. Our conference consists of the Morristown schools, another Jeff Co. school, and Rutledge. We averaged over 30 points while allowing less than 12. Our offensive system was based around our QB amd his stregnths (granted he was a transfer from Sevier County). We ran a lot out of Flex, I and Split Backs...a lot of veer and mid-line tendencies. Our RB rushed for 1,003 yards (including a 319 yard game) and our QB ran for over 700.

JMS has had some notable athletes...Ricky Upton @ Penn St, Todd Collins (2 Superbowl Rings) and Jeff Jennings a few years ago @ Vandy. A few other guys had some walk-on oppurtunities. Our HS program should be much better, but baseball is king around here. We'll have Jermaine Copeland's son next year.

Last edited:
Coach Diggs was an amazing coach at Huntsville.

Is he still alive? I remember watching him get after his players in the pre-game and was glad he wasn't my coach lol...but then again he won all the time so maybe that was a good thing.

VN Store

Back