The Atlanta Braves (thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like Hudson a little better than Hanson in a playoff game, which is why I'd start him in Game 2. The Braves have such a giant home/road differential that I would want my best pitchers starting on the road. Doesn't make that much difference, though, since they're both guaranteed a start.

"Cox said he would not carry a third catcher, because there’s a rule in place now where an injured player can be substituted for in the middle of a series, at any position. The penalty is that injured player cannot participate in the following series, if that team advances."

In other words Cox has been saved from his own stupidity. Nice rule change.

Catchers: McCann , Ross
Infielders: Derrek Lee, Conrad, Omar Infante, Alex Gonzalez, Troy Glaus and Diory Hernandez
Outfielders:Rick Ankiel, Nate McLouth, Matt Diaz, Eric Hinske, Heyward, Melky Cabrera
Starting pitchers: Derek Lowe, Tommy Hanson, Tim Hudson
Relief pitchers: Billy Wagner, Venters, Kimbrel, Peter Moylan, Dunn, Beachy, Kyle Farnsworth, Martinez.

Conrad was supposed to be so far down the bench that he wasn't even going to get to play much on Sundays. It's unfair to make him the villain because everybody in front of him got hurt and now he has to start in the biggest games of the year. There aren't a lot of teams that could reach that far down their bench and start an infielder who looks like he belongs on a playoff team.

I bow to nobody in my disgust for the current Braves' ownership, but even I can't blame them or Wren for the fact that the sixth infielder sucks out loud as a starter on a playoff team. If you went to the Yankees and took out Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano, whom would they have to press into service in October? And wouldn't he probably look like he didn't belong?

I bow to nobody in my disgust for the current Braves' ownership, but even I can't blame them or Wren for the fact that the sixth infielder sucks out loud as a starter on a playoff team. If you went to the Yankees and took out Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano, whom would they have to press into service in October? And wouldn't he probably look like he didn't belong?

I'm pissed that they didn't make the moves to be a real contender when it became clear they had a playoff shot. The injuries to Chipper and Prado only highlight that deficiency; they don't excuse it.

I'm pissed that they didn't make the moves to be a real contender when it became clear they had a playoff shot. The injuries to Chipper and Prado only highlight that deficiency; they don't excuse it.

I don't disagree at all. I just didn't get that pissed about it because I knew they weren't going to do anything meaningful. This is a team that traded Javy Vazquez during the offseason as a salary dump because Tommy Hanson made either him or Hudson expendable....and then instead of using that freed-up salary to add the bat that they desperately needed, stuck the extra money in their back pocket, reduced payroll, and just took a flier on the zombie of Troy Glaus instead. Nothing is going to change with the Braves until Liberty decides to sell. This is an organization which aims to compete, not win.

I don't disagree at all. I just didn't get that pissed about it because I knew they weren't going to do anything meaningful. This is a team that traded Javy Vazquez during the offseason as a salary dump because Tommy Hanson made either him or Hudson expendable....and then instead of using that freed-up salary to add the bat that they desperately needed, stuck the extra money in their back pocket, reduced payroll, and just took a flier on the zombie of Troy Glaus instead. Nothing is going to change with the Braves until Liberty decides to sell. This is an organization which aims to compete, not win.

If by "compete" you mean do just enough so that maybe somebody will come to the ballpark during September, then I agree completely.

Tough deal for Billy Wagner. They had to DL him, so by rule he's not eligible to be reactivated for the next round. Unless the Braves make the World Series, Wagner has thrown the last pitch of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back