Bobby Denton (Neyland's PA Announcer)

Griffmann

John Ward may have been the voice of the Vols, but Bobby Denton is the voice of Neyland. Nothing better than "It's football time in Tennessee!", brings chills every time. I know he's been doing this since the early 70's, anyone know how old he is?

I have no idea, but I believe he gets more excited for the opponents' first downs than he does Tennessee's. I can't count the number of times I heard him say, "It's first down, Golden Eagles!" in an extremely friendly tone...

I thought it was "please pay these prices and please pay no more."

I have no idea, but I believe he gets more excited for the opponents' first downs than he does Tennessee's. I can't count the number of times I heard him say, "It's first down, Golden Eagles!" in an extremely friendly tone...

Hey, at least he doesn't achieve orgasm when the opponent scores a la Bob Kesling.

Reactions: 1 person
When Bobby Denton announces the opponent's starting lineup he does it very mono-tone and no life to it.......I Love it!!!!!

Bobby is up there in years, but I don't know an exact age. He is retired and lives in Naples, FL but still comes up here for games and to do occasional voice-over work on local commericals.

One of the funniest things last night was when we got a first down at about the 20 and he said "First and GOAL Tennessee.....er....First and Ten Tennessee". When we got the next first down he said "NOW its First and Goal...Tennessee!"

The best line of my 15+ years of attending games thought was once when we had LSU pinned at like a 3rd and 40 after a bunch of penalties and snap over the QB's head....Denton said "Its 3rd and THE RIVER":)

This thread came up when I searched for the announcer (couldn't remember the name). I am guessing the same gentleman is still announcing the games considering these posts above? God love him. But he's hard to listen to sometimes. He's still doing the same things.

But in today's game, when about five flags flew to the field, he said something like "There's flags......everywhere." OMG, the whole stadium laughed!! He definitely has his moments still. Whether intentional or not I don't know.

I tried really hard not to sound insulting or disrespectful of him. Thank you for confirming I succeeded.

there's a number of people on here that don't like him for whatever reason, and i don't understand why. i love denton. i think he does a great job. it's not going to be the same going to a game when he's not there anymore.

Bobby is up there in years, but I don't know an exact age. He is retired and lives in Naples, FL but still comes up here for games and to do occasional voice-over work on local commericals.

One of the funniest things last night was when we got a first down at about the 20 and he said "First and GOAL Tennessee.....er....First and Ten Tennessee". When we got the next first down he said "NOW its First and Goal...Tennessee!"

The best line of my 15+ years of attending games thought was once when we had LSU pinned at like a 3rd and 40 after a bunch of penalties and snap over the QB's head....Denton said "Its 3rd and THE RIVER":)

You are correct, I was at that game, however I believe it was the Arkansas game around 2001 2002 time frame when UT landed 45 or so in the first half.

+1 "touchdown GATORS!"

he pisses me off sometimes... i especially love it when he thanks the opposing fans for coming... get out here...

I love him. Very entertaining. It sure will be different when he's not doing it anymore. Please pay these prices and please pay no more

"met by a host of Volunteers" is a personal favorite of mine.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

there's a number of people on here that don't like him for whatever reason, and i don't understand why. i love denton. i think he does a great job. it's not going to be the same going to a game when he's not there anymore.

My only issue is his inability to pronounce names correctly. As a public address announcer, if you can't do that, you don't deserve to work.

VN Store

Back