The All Things Cycling Thread

Might be frugal in that particular area. People hanging on to them. Out here, they're always trading upwards. I've seen some new in a few shops close to $12000. I started last year and wasn't sure what I was going to do. So, I found a hybrid for under $400. Works for me. All I wanted was exercise that wasn't boring. For an old guy, it's not boring. I live at 4600 feet elevation. Riding 15 miles will take you up and down 1000-1500 feet during that ride.

Same here. I bought a Diamondback Insight I hybrid. I just got into doing sprint tris last year. It's much better than the mountain bike I done my first one with. I knocked over 2 min off my bike ing time from last year and didn't train near as hard this year. I might eventually upgrade to a road bike but I'm good for now.

Same here. I bought a Diamondback Insight I hybrid. I just got into doing sprint tris last year. It's much better than the mountain bike I done my first one with. I knocked over 2 min off my bike ing time from last year and didn't train near as hard this year. I might eventually upgrade to a road bike but I'm good for now.

You need some $15,000 wheels on that bike. I like the softer ride with the hybrid bikes. Also, the thicker and wider tires. You can't ride a mile out here without picking up a half dozen thistles in the tires. So, I've slimed my tires and had to add liners between the tire and tube to prevent flats. I've got the old road bike, but the hybrid is geared much better for changes in altitude out here.

I found a 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 on Craigslist for $1500. Ultegra groupset. That seems like a pretty good deal.

I would think I could resell it in a few months for about the same if I don't end up getting into it.

What do you think?

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Sports Forum?

That is a good deal especially with Ultegra. Defy was an Editor's pick by Bicycling magazine. Probably not much difference between 09 and 10. Just make sure it hasn't been wrecked.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I want to try one of these out some day. Quite a few on the road here.

Attachments

• rbike.jpg
    rbike.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 4
That is a good deal especially with Ultegra. Defy was an Editor's pick by Bicycling magazine. Probably not much difference between 09 and 10. Just make sure it hasn't been wrecked.

Yeah, I asked the guy and he said it's never been wrecked it's in great shape. I'm going today to look at it and taking one of my cyclist friends with me.

This bike is almost identical to the 2010 Defy Advanced 1

Stage 13 of the Tour de France was great. An insane climb in the Pyrenees. Schleck and Contador were battling it down the stretch. Contador kept trying to break away and Schleck stayed right with him.

Last edited:
I'm buying a Park Tools stand in the next few days. I can't wait to work on my bike with it off of the ground. Talk about frustrating... :banghead2:

I've been riding for about 3 years now almost every day spring/summer/fall. I lost ~60lbs last year alone (then gained a large amount back over the winter). My longest ride in one day has been 91.3 miles of mostly flat land up the Mississippi River. It's been over a week since I've ridden, though, and I can tell I've lost a lot of fitness. Not to say I had much anyways. I've also gotten a good bunch of my friends into cycling. We all plan on doing RAGBRAI next year.

I ride a 1992 Trek 1000 road bike that's about 8cm too big for me, a 2007 Trek 7.3FX Hybrid, a (c.) '70's Miyata Two-Ten touring bike with a bent frame to work that I got at Goodwill for $8.50, and I have a single speed (Chicago) Schwinn Varsity project bike that's been sitting around in the basement for over a year. I plan on buying an Orbea or Cervelo when I pay off my car or with my tax return next year.

Here in the Quad Cities we have a Criterium road race every year on Memorial Day that has an open class that I've been tempted to enter, but I'm nowhere near the shape to race nor do I have a bike worthy of riding in it. We also have a lot of cyclocross races and I've been tempted to turn the 7.3FX into a 'cross bike for fun. I'd also like to get a mountain bike to screw around on.

Stationary, recumbent. 7 miles a day. 30 minutes. Approximately 425 calories.
Keeps me young!

I've been riding for about 3 years now almost every day spring/summer/fall. I lost ~60lbs last year alone (then gained a large amount back over the winter). My longest ride in one day has been 91.3 miles of mostly flat land up the Mississippi River. It's been over a week since I've ridden, though, and I can tell I've lost a lot of fitness. Not to say I had much anyways. I've also gotten a good bunch of my friends into cycling. We all plan on doing RAGBRAI next year.

I ride a 1992 Trek 1000 road bike that's about 8cm too big for me, a 2007 Trek 7.3FX Hybrid, a (c.) '70's Miyata Two-Ten touring bike with a bent frame to work that I got at Goodwill for $8.50, and I have a single speed (Chicago) Schwinn Varsity project bike that's been sitting around in the basement for over a year. I plan on buying an Orbea or Cervelo when I pay off my car or with my tax return next year.

Here in the Quad Cities we have a Criterium road race every year on Memorial Day that has an open class that I've been tempted to enter, but I'm nowhere near the shape to race nor do I have a bike worthy of riding in it. We also have a lot of cyclocross races and I've been tempted to turn the 7.3FX into a 'cross bike for fun. I'd also like to get a mountain bike to screw around on.

Cervelos are sweet. My 2nd favorite bike after Pinerellos.

Motobecane with aftermarket tri-bars. It's a low end bike. Would love the high end but the prices are too much.

I've got a friend who has a Motobecane and he loves it. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?

I've got a friend who has a Motobecane and he loves it. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?

I've had it about two years. I bought a low end because it's all I could afford at the time ($700k) from bikesdirect.com. It's a decent bike.

Epic ride up the mountain and then down in the 90+ degree heat. Hit a root and endo'd halfway down. 5 minutes later I lost my rear brake and had to finish out the ride with only a front brake. I love mountain biking.

Cervelos are sweet. My 2nd favorite bike after Pinerellos.

The big three Italian makes are my favorites (Pinarello, Cinelli, Colnago). I'm not a fan of Trek, even though that's what I ride right now.

I did some 45 second sprint intervals for 20 miles on Tuesday in 95* and 75% humidity. Brutal. I was dead halfway through but I powered on. I haven't ridden since, though. Bad weather combined with work leaves no time to ride. :cray:

Colnagos are nice but I don't always like the paint scheme. I also like the boxy downtube style of a Jamis Ventura Comp.

Been sporting a single-speed Winsdor. It's not the best bike for this environment (mountain town) but it sure is fun. Also mountain bike with an old school Pantera GT. It has one of the sturdiest mountain bike frames ever brought to mainstream production. I plan to invest in a 24 speed road bike soon. Maybe within the $500 range.

BTW bikesdirect.com is by far the best website for high-quality bikes at discounted prices.

I just converted an old Schwinn mountain bike to a single speed. I've ridden it around the neighborhood a few times and liked it. I think I'm got hit the trails with it tomorrow.

They guy with the Giant Defy Advanced sold it before I could get back to him. So I am going to buy new from a LBS.

Right now I'm between a Giant Defy 2 and a Felt Z85. The Giant is $999 and the Felt is $1149. The Felt has all 105 components and the Giant has all Tiagra. But I think the wheel set on the Giant might be a little better?

Any thoughts on this? I've made a couple posts on here before, but if you haven't read them, I'm just getting into cycling, but I don't plan on it becoming a full time hobby. I want to spend my weekends on the golf course, not on long rides. I'm looking for a bike to workout on in the mornings. But I will occasionally go on some rides w some friends.

If it's not going to be a full-time hobby, then I might not worry too much about the difference between Tiagra and 105. My suggestion would be go with the bike that you feel more comfortable riding.

Rode my singlespeed on the trails for the first time. Awesome. Just like riding when I was a kid. I want a nicer singlespeed now. My wife is gonna kill me. :)

Just got home from a ride. I'm exhausted. I've never been this tired before. I was insanely tired halfway through my ride. I think something's wrong with my body.

VN Store

Back