The All Things Cycling Thread

Well I didn't see one of these so I thought I'd start it up.

I got into cycling last year and have been hooked ever since. I bought my first "real" bike this year, a Felt Q520 mountain bike and I love it. I love mountain biking at a few local spots but I want to take it out to the Smokies to give it a true test. It's also really fun and useful to ride it around campus because of all the grass/gravel/roads I have to ride on to get to class.

I also just recently bought a Giant OCR A1 road bike frame and I'm thinking about building my own road bike (I figure it will be a learning experience). However, I'm still considering selling it and buying a complete bike, but I haven't decided either way yet.

But who on here is a cycling nut like I am?

No sir, cycling is my favorite cardio activity. It doesn't burn as many calories as quickly as running, but it's by far easier on the body. I have a Diamondback mountain bike and ride a lot for exercise

No sir, cycling is my favorite cardio activity. It doesn't burn as many calories as quickly as running, but it's by far easier on the body. I have a Diamondback mountain bike and ride a lot for exercise

I was impressed with how much they've stepped up on the quality of their bikes when I was looking at the different brands.

I want to get into cycling, I'm looking at buying a road bike. If I buy an entry-level bike, how easy is it to resell, and what bikes hold their value relatively well? I've been told by several friends who are into riding to just go ahead and jump into all carbon like the Trek Madone 4.5 But I'm really hesitant to fork over that kind of cash. Say I were to buy that bike and I end up not getting into riding. Would I be able to sell it and not take a huge bath? I've been monitoring ebay and craigslist, but there isn't a whole lot of traffic.

Suggestions anyone??

I want to get into cycling, I'm looking at buying a road bike. If I buy an entry-level bike, how easy is it to resell, and what bikes hold their value relatively well? I've been told by several friends who are into riding to just go ahead and jump into all carbon like the Trek Madone 4.5 But I'm really hesitant to fork over that kind of cash. Say I were to buy that bike and I end up not getting into riding. Would I be able to sell it and not take a huge bath? I've been monitoring ebay and craigslist, but there isn't a whole lot of traffic.

Suggestions anyone??

Well I haven't been into cycling that long but I've been in it long enough to see that entry levels are a solid investment if you're just learning to ride because a.) They're cheaper and b.) They are good bikes to learn on/get familiar with everything/beat up. Also, In your situation, I think an entry level is a good insurance policy because if you didn't like cycling, you wouldn't be that invested in it $-wise

With the whole resale thing I've generally seen that entry levels don't resale for much at all (mostly because of their components). Carbon bikes seem to hold their value a bit better, but like I said before, that's a hefty investment and sounds like a big gamble to me given that you don't know if you want to make cycling a hobby yet.

Just my :twocents:

p.s. If you get one off the internet, make sure you use Craigslist because you can actually go and inspect the bike yourself and sit on it before you hand over the cash...

I found a 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 on Craigslist for $1500. Ultegra groupset. That seems like a pretty good deal.

I would think I could resell it in a few months for about the same if I don't end up getting into it.

What do you think?

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Sports Forum?

Last edited:
I found a 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 on Craigslist for $1500. Ultegra groupset. That seems like a pretty good deal.

I would think I could resell it in a few months for about the same if I don't end up getting into it.

What do you think?

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Sports Forum?

How close are you to Arkansas?

Giant Defy 2 (2009) XL

Yes, it is. Utah has tons of cyclist throughout the state. Many doing slick rock riding, road riding, etc. Many bikes for sale at all times. That was why I was curious about your location. There's a very good local online classified, but it wouldn't do you any good. Sorry. Very smart on your end for looking for a good used bike. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Yes, it is. Utah has tons of cyclist throughout the state. Many doing slick rock riding, road riding, etc. Many bikes for sale at all times. That was why I was curios about your location. There's a very good local online classified, but it wouldn't do you any good. Sorry. Very smart on your end for looking for a good used bike. Good Luck.

thanks.

i live in the midwest so its flat and there are quite a few cyclists here, yet there aren't a whole lot of used bikes for sale - at least not in any bike shops.

i don't know where they all go

thanks.

i live in the midwest so its flat and there are quite a few cyclists here, yet there aren't a whole lot of used bikes to find around here.

i don't know where they all go

Might be frugal in that particular area. People hanging on to them. Out here, they're always trading upwards. I've seen some new in a few shops close to $12000. I started last year and wasn't sure what I was going to do. So, I found a hybrid for under $400. Works for me. All I wanted was exercise that wasn't boring. For an old guy, it's not boring. I live at 4600 feet elevation. Riding 15 miles will take you up and down 1000-1500 feet during that ride.

Might be frugal in that particular area. People hanging on to them. Out here, they're always trading upwards. I've seen some new in a few shops close to $12000. I started last year and wasn't sure what I was going to do. So, I found a hybrid for under $400. Works for me. All I wanted was exercise that wasn't boring. For an old guy, it's not boring. I live at 4600 feet elevation. Riding 15 miles will take you up and down 1000-1500 feet during that ride.

Wow, that's great.

I was a runner, but I got stress fractures in my legs that never healed properly so I get too sore after running. Plus I think riding should be more fun.

Wow, that's great.

I was a runner, but I got stress fractures in my legs that never healed properly so I get too sore after running. Plus I think riding should be more fun.

I ran a lot too until I kept getting chin splints so I looked into cycling and here we are.

As far as your question about the Defy, that seems to be a good deal to me because if I recall correctly, the new ones go for around $2000. So $500 off for a practically new bike seems good. :good!:

Wow, that's great.

Riding is definitely more fun for me. I see you're watching E-Bay. There are some good deals come up on E-Bay from time to time. Obviously, check the ship price before bidding. Maybe, you'll get lucky and find one on there close enough to go check out. Something to consider, if you're handy with tools, is to buy a good used frame from E-Bay and build your own. Bikes are nothing more than parts put together. A friend of mine from Kville, who is deep in road riding, bought an old Nishiki Alien frame and built it up from there. She left it out here and it is a sweet ride.

Riding is definitely more fun for me. I see you're watching E-Bay. There are some good deals come up on E-Bay from time to time. Obviously, check the ship price before bidding. Maybe, you'll get lucky and find one on there close enough to go check out. Something to consider, if you're handy with tools, is to buy a good used frame from E-Bay and build your own. Bikes are nothing more than parts put together. A friend of mine from Kville, who is deep in road riding, bought an old Nishiki Alien frame and built it up from there. She left it out here and it is a sweet ride.

I'm building mine now on a Giant OCR A1 frame. In the process of ordering a new Easton stem for the 'bars and then buying either Easton or Mavic wheels, saddle and an Easton saddle post. I'm still researching the componentry on it. Can't decide which Shimano type to go with....

It is more expensive but you can customize it any way you want and cut down on weight substantially which will help you soooo much in the long run. :good!:

Last edited:
I ran a lot too until I kept getting chin splints so I looked into cycling and here we are.

As far as your question about the Defy, that seems to be a good deal to me because if I recall correctly, the new ones go for around $2000. So $500 off for a practically new bike seems good. :good!:

Brand new the MSRP on this bike was $2900
BikePedia - 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 Complete Bicycle

I emailed the guy and am going to check it out and take it for a spin

I'm building mine now on a Giant OCR A1 frame. In the process of ordering a new Easton stem for the 'bars and then buying either Easton or Mavic wheels, saddle and an Easton saddle post. I'm still researching the componentry on it. Can't decide which Shimano type to go with....

It is more expensive but you can customize it any way you want and cut down on weight substantially which will help you soooo much in the long run. :good!:

I'm sure you've seen these. Tubular wheel set for only 6 grand.

Reynolds RZR Tubular Wheelset at WesternBikeworks

VN Store

Back