The Runner's thread

Going for 4.5 miles tonight in the humidity and heat so I can sweat a little more off tonight

I ran 4+ miles yesterday afternoon. The best part was when I got back to the house and my daughter came running out and led me down to the end of our street and back and then again for a 2nd lap. She had begged me to let her go with me so I told her to be ready when I got back. She had the blinds open and was looking out the window. My wife said she had been looking for me for at least 20 min. Priceless...

Going for another 3-4 tonight...maybe a little more since I plan on stuffing my face for the 4th

At least 6. That's my weekly goal. I don't think I've taken a day off from running the past 2 weeks though

I'm trying to run 5 days a week, but my shins are really starting to bother me. I stretch them really well before and after, so I don't know what else to do? any hints or suggestions? I only run 2-3 miles a day.

I'm trying to run 5 days a week, but my shins are really starting to bother me. I stretch them really well before and after, so I don't know what else to do? any hints or suggestions? I only run 2-3 miles a day.

Two things:

1) take a break for a week or two, or at least scale back the running dramatically. You need to rest. it may take longer than that, too.

2) Examine your gait when you run, and make sure you aren't running too much on the balls of your feet.

i have taken long breaks before, and it does work. Then after getting started agin the pain returns after a couple of weeks.

I have changed my running style too, I try to run with a shorter stride and concentrate on running with a mid foot stride.

From what I learned, good form all starts with your posture. Make sure your back is straight and you aren't leaning forward. Try to focus on looking straight ahead at the horizon and potentially even up higher if that's what it takes for your posture to be where it needs to be. That cured all my shin problems, back problems, etc

I do tend to lean forward a bit when I run. I'll concentrate next time on keeping my back straight! I hope to the heavens it works! My shins are really barking loud!!!! I might even try tomorrow, I took today off. Ill let you know how it goes!

I do tend to lean forward a bit when I run. I'll concentrate next time on keeping my back straight! I hope to the heavens it works! My shins are really barking loud!!!! I might even try tomorrow, I took today off. Ill let you know how it goes!

I lean too far forward myself. I find that if I concentrate on not hitting on the balls of my feet alone, it usually means I am straighter.

It's tough to get the running posture right. I don't think I have ever really had it correct, but rather just alternate between opposing wrong forms.

correct me if i'm wrong, but ive read that either a mid foot strike or ball foot strike is what you aim for when running. The heel strike is what I heard you DON'T want to do! Is this incorrect?

correct me if i'm wrong, but ive read that either a mid foot strike or ball foot strike is what you aim for when running. The heel strike is what I heard you DON'T want to do! Is this incorrect?

ball is better than heel, but you'll get shin splints over time that way. Ideally, you want the middle of the foot. I think foot wear can help with that, but I haven't personally spent much money on shoes, so I don't know which ones help the most. I have started running barefoot or in KSO's to try and improve my form. It has been the most effective.

Also, running more on the outside of your feet is better than the inside, but again, middle of the road is best.

You are going to roll your ankle a lot running on the inside.

i'm not sure if I pronate or under-pronate. I think someone in the know has to watch you run or something?

i'm not sure if I pronate or under-pronate. I think someone in the know has to watch you run or something?

That, or some places have machines that figure it out somehow when you stand/move on them.

I think you can get a good idea by trying to run on the outside as much as you can, then inside, then middle, then like normal. I feel like I get an idea of where I am tending by "flipping through the gears" like that. I definitely run more to the outside than middle, if in sneakers. If I am barefoot or in the KSO's, I am closer to the middle, but still somewhat outside.

I would like to know where to find one of those machines you speak of, just for curiosity sake.

Well i'll try to run tomorrow with my back more upright and see how that goes, hopefully it will fix the problem!
Thanks for your help!

Technical shoe stores have them, and Runner's World Magazine lists those stores. I've never used them before, but I have read about them.

Ah I don't think running daily does too much damage to your body as long as you have the proper form and don't push yourself TOO hard during the run

VN Store

Back