The Runner's thread

I have heard that these are great. I am not to thrilled about barefoot though.

I am running 5 miles every other day.

I would suggest a pedometer that counts steps, calories, distance, and time.

If you have a droid or a touch there are free apps that will do all of the above.

This cost a little to much for me but the best measuring device I have found is this one
biggest-loser-armband.jpg

This part wraps around your arm then you wear a watch that translates the results. The same one they have on the biggest loser.

This is what I use. When you finish running, you can plug your ipod into your computer and it will upload your results to a website where you can track everything and compare with the rest of the world. Kind of fun. LINK

I agree 100%. I always thought the people addicted to running were crazy, but now that I do it I can definitely see why.

Well years and years of being taught that running was for punishment of missing curfew or being late to morning workouts is what I blame it on.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Oh, for anyone in the Middle/West TN area I want to go ahead and throw out that there is a race in Early December that is a charity race to raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital. I'm running the half marathon and would welcome anyone else to run it. It's a great, great cause

Five Fingers are awesome. I've been trail running with them for about 2 months now. I no longer have shin splints, knee or hip pain.
So I'm guessing these are comfortable running in? If you're trail running in them, I guess that answers my question about the soles being tough enough.

or a missed free throw. I understand

Mine was from 5 AM Friday practices in college.

Wouldn't have been too bad if the bar closed earlier than 4 AM. Can still taste the beer at the top of my throat wanting to projectile out while running poles. Always made it to at least Centerfield, though.

Will get back out running tomorrow. Routine involves running about 4 miles through UCF campus. Nice scenery.

So I'm guessing these are comfortable running in? If you're trail running in them, I guess that answers my question about the soles being tough enough.

I broke into them slowly. My calves hated me for the first few weeks. My feet are still building callouses and adjusting a bit to landing on rocks and roots. I've learned to keep my steps lighter, shorten my stride and focus more which makes me a better runner. The only time I've really hurt myself is walking in them because I'm not paying attention.

If you ride you might want to make it very light. It's more important that you're healed by Saturday. It's doubtful that you'll lose much fitness in a week and a half. If you've been training really hard you're body will probably welcome the rest. Have a fun fast race on Saturday!

Thanks man. I was thinking about going up to the school. It's pretty much all level. 1 loop through the parking lot from the front to the back is just over a mile. That way I won't be to far from a stopping point if it seems to bother me. I'll get in one more swim as well Wed morning and then relax untill Sat.

Thanks. I'll def look a littel bit more into them. I hope I see a few runners wit them on Sat. I'll ask how they like them.

I wear Asics Kayanos, as well. I have flat feet and overpronate, and it's amazing the difference that good shoes make!

I haven't done any crazy distances, but I have built up to 5 miles or so. I like to run fairly quickly, but I'm thinking about trying out some longer distances at a slower pace, and I've recently begun to swim (playing with the idea of a tri in the future).

Mapmyrun is a cool website, and I ran my toughest route about 2 weeks ago that I found there: 5.7 miles from Anchor Park in Farragut, up Virtue, across and up Kingsgate, and back down. The hill in Kingsgate was a beast.

I use a Polar monitor. Pretty cool.

Yeah. I map my runs through my subdivision. Type in a street name with a city/state and it should pull it up. Covington Ga is by no means a big town.

VN Store

Back