Is a 7-6 season a sucess?

is a 7-6 season a sucess

• Total voters
Everyone getting mad at the yes votes need to relax. No one is saying they are happy with 7-6 seasons from now on. We're just saying that with the schedule, talent, and depth that UT had this year, it really couldn't have gone that much better.

Anyone who voted yes should be ashamed of themselves. That's just pathetic.

Given the UNCHANGEABLE:

1. Player personnel
2. Player injuries
3. Schedule
4. etc.

and the changeable

1. Coaching
2. Performance of team on field
3. Player development
4. Recruiting
5. etc.

What, sir, would have been an acceptable Win / Loss record this year?

If you are simply looking at the record(as most people who are not fans will), no. But step back and look at what was accomplished this year objectively and you can see a lot to be excited about. This season started out a lot like last year, sputtering offense and special teams miscues. However as the season progressed you could tell the players were learning and performing. To me this season was a huge success just without the wins to back it up. I would say during the second half of the season (post Auburn game) we played about as well as any other 9-10 win team in the country. I love the progress and the heart this team showed this year and when you get right down to it, all I really wanted out of this team this year was to show signs of progress and I was not disappointed. I think with this team getting healthy leading up to the bowl game and the loads of extra preparation and practice time, that we will give Virginia Tech all they can handle, may not be enough to win but it should be fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the future, can't wait to see what happens with the new class and where we are this time next year. Of course I hope we win this game but not just because it would make me happy, after all that Jonathan Crompton has been through he deserves to go out with a big win over Va. Tech and be the QB that ushered in the new era of UT football.

Look man, everyone is gonna say look at what they had to work with but here's my thing... Look at how the team responded to the coaching. Something happened after the Auburn game and this team became possessed, playing outside themselves. Look at how Jonathan Crompton transformed over the season, tell me he didn't look like a damn fine quaterback after the Auburn game, who by the way is in the top 5 IN THE NATION in touchdown passes. Sure we don't have the wins to make it look pretty but you know what? This team took all the strife and the criticism and turned it into a 7-5 season with a new year's eve bowl game as their reward. I say good on them for overcoming and believing in themselves because it would have been easy to mail it in after losing to a weak Auburn team or dropping a heart breaker to Alabama. So ease up off these kids and this staff, let's see how they do next year.

I definitely feel like we've taken a step forward, and Vol fans have something to be excited about. 3 years from now I probably won't see 7 and 6 as successful, but right now I do. 8-5 sounds better though.

I'd would like to have had Georgia and Florida flipped on the schedule, if we would of got Florida about mid of october I say we win .

First quarter of the season was not a success. The other 3 Quarters were very great success*high Five*, except for getting thrashed by McCluster and I was a bit disheartened losing Eddie Gran, FSU got a good coach with him

As compared to the past 2 of 3 seasons where we were sitting at home without going to a bowl yes. Will this pass for next year? No.

2011 is when Lane becomes fair game to criticism. I see next year as similar to this one. Probably struggle early and get better as the year goes along. The schedule is pretty brutal. We'll need that funny shaped ball to bounce our way especially early to have a really good year.

This year ? Well I guess yes...a slight success compared to last year with this year having a new head coach and coaching staff plus having a new system.

Next year ? No not really.

The following year ? Definitely not.

When is the last time TN had everyone eligible for a bowl game? That in itself is an accomplishment to be proud of.

2 years from now 7-6 would suck...hard.

This year? I'm just glad the program is headed in the right direction. :clapping:

No, but Lane and staff have a pass this year. Next year, different.

If that's the case, then you may join a very small but growing contingent of Lane doubters. Any new coach in our situation has a 2 to 3 year pass. 2009 and 2010... don't set the bar too high. 2011... flame away...

7-6 is not the goal 13-0 is the goal and can be considered a success... however anyone who judges a painting until it is completed, or a building while it remains only a foundation is simply an uninformed nut...

No, but Lane and staff have a pass this year. Next year, different.
I'm afraid a lot of people feel that way, and I'm not sure the schedule and personnel are going to oblige a much better record. Still a lot of holes to fill.

I think next year could be a really good year. I am not making any predictions until I see Stephens in a game. But he looks like he is improving. The WRs are back with upgrades. Oline upgraded. Honestly losing the Sullins is not a bad thing. They have a lot of heart and little talent. The schedule is difficult but not impossible. Ole Miss is majorly downgraded next year...assuming the little speedster is gone. LSU has a bad coach and is not really scaring me. UGA the same. UF is putting in a new system next year and we get them early. Bama will be very tough. I think we might be in for a beat down next year at home from them. The QB of theirs turned the corner and makes them a lot better if he is playing well. So maybe we lose 3-4 games next year maybe only 2. I cannot say but there is hope next year is not an automatic 7-5 season again.

"Where I really messed up (other than Vandy) was on Tennessee: I thought the Vols would stink. They didn’t. I picked them to go 4-8, losing to Georgia and Vanderbilt and Kentucky. They went 7-5 and beat all three. (I was also wrong about Florida scoring 63 points on Tennessee; the correct total was 23. But what’s 40 points among friends?)"

Bradley's year in picks: Good on Tech, less good on the Vols | Mark Bradley

Will also take 7-5 next year with our schedule. We must replace a QB and an entire offensive line.

But in 2011 I think we will and should be back to expecting 9 or 10 win seasons and division title competitivness.

GBO!!!!!!!!!

Considering the fact that UT is down to about 65 scholly players vs 85 for the opponents; played two walk-ons and a freshman on the O-line, were down to third string at MLB, suffered late-season suspensions, and needed to beat UK at their place to qualify for a bowl, not bad at all. The UCLA game really sticks in my craw, they are a bad football team. The expected upward trend is the payoff.

One thing we now know-----these guys can COACH.

No it's not a success. I understand we are rebuilding. I am satisfied with the season, but in no way is it "success". Considering 8 home games, 3 mid-major opponents + UCLA, and only 3 ranked opponents...7 wins cannot be considered a success. Progress but not success.

VN Store

Back