Tennessee under NCAA investigation over use of recruiting hostesses

VOL_FAN_in KY

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/sports/ncaafootball/09tennessee.html?_r=1&hp

The N.C.A.A. is conducting a wide-ranging investigation into the University of Tennessee’s football recruiting practices, according to interviews with several prospects, their family members and high school administrators. A significant part of the investigation is focused on the use of recruiting hostesses who have become folk heroes on Tennessee message boards for their ability to help lure top recruits.

Last edited:
While this isn't a major violation and isn't directly related to the university, it has to be a BIG concern. I would suspect that the NCAA will open a major investigation into the program now. Having worked for NCAA institutions, after 'allegedly' being accused of six secondary violations in one year, the NCAA typically will do an intensive major violation investigation.

But, again not saying it's fair...Sounds like a lot of other coaches are trying to knock Kiffin down while they can. There are plenty of other university hostesses that do the same thing and are even more 'intense' than those at UT.

I think the sensitivity police should investigate the N.C.A.A for profiling orange people.

What the hell? Karma is just kicking us in the face. I feel so deflated about UT football now.

Another note of interest. Why hasn't Tennessee invested more money into hiring better and more efficient compliance officers for the football program? It seems like to me that they are having these problems occur because the compliance office hasn't been astute enough to educate their administration, boosters, coaches and staff. While some of the blame has to fall on the individuals, it's the university's compliance office that should be looked at.

Another note of interest. Why hasn't Tennessee invested more money into hiring better and more efficient compliance officers for the football program? It seems like to me that they are having these problems occur because they compliance office hasn't been astute enough to educate their administration, boosters, coaches and staff. While some of the blame has to fall on the individuals, it's the university's compliance office that should be looked at.

Compliance doesn't catch it all, IMO.

Pardon my ignorance, can someone please spell out what exactly they are investigating.who these "Hostesses" are and what they did wrong so forth. Are we talking about a person we hire to host a visiting recruit, and if so surely we know the rules, right?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Maybe or maybe not. Did you actually read the article and see how many recruits they are actually interviewing in this class?? If I were a parent, it would make me uneasy at first glance.

... I thought about recruiting after I posted that first thought and, yes, I did read the article. It doesn't sound that bad to me but I'm not an expert on NCAA violations.

Got Twelve?... you have an answer?

Last edited:
Maybe or maybe not. Did you actually read the article and see how many recruits they are actually interviewing in this class?? If I were a parent, it would make me uneasy at first glance.

yeah, this is not good......sounds like some Cryers and Slives are up to something here........behind the scenes......

... I thought about recruiting after I posted that first thought and, yes, I did read the article.

Yeah, I quoted before the edit. :good!:

Makes you wonder who's paying attention to what on message boards. I got slammed for even insinuating such things.

they are interviewing a lot of our key guys in this recruiting class and a couple guys we really wanted. This sucks.

This sounds really bad... It may not turn out to be a big deal, but it doesn't sound good at all.

Compliance doesn't catch it all, IMO.

True, you can't catch it all. But my goodness, this is 6 violations. At a major university like Tennessee, you have to be on your pins and needles at all times. I have worked in offices before where our compliance people would berate us about everything we did because they knew of the consequences. I am not saying you are going to catch everything, but my goodness, at least make sure people are aware of the rules. In my assumption, I doubt they actually teach these hostesses the rules and regulations hearlded by the NCAA. It'd take an entire semester to decipher the so many dag-nabbed rules. :huh:

How can these hostesses be considered representatives of UT? Are they paid? Do they get scholarships for hostessing? If they aren't tied to the university through money, then how can their actions hurt the University? Any other student would be allowed to drive 200 miles to watch a game without people going crazy.

yeah, this is not good......sounds like some Cryers and Slives are up to something here........behind the scenes......

Really and truly our fans can blame themselves, IMO. The snide comments about certain hostesses I'm sure got to the wrong people. Sometimes people should keep things to themselves, IMO.

VN Store

Back