Flex Offense

LittleDTO

Please Bruce, this offense is terrible. We work the ball way to hard for crappy perimeter shots. Rick Byrd has a coaching clinic soon. Please attend.

dude the flex is terrible! i ran it for four years... it is outdated and easily defended..

seriously.... the FLEX is the worst offense ever created. no rhythm... no flow... it doesn't threatened the defense except for that stupid baseline back screen which everyone knows is coming.... and when it does work... we miss the wide open cutter cuz the guys are so hypnotized tossing it back and forth.

really... the FLEX is really bad... it's a gimmic offense u run methodically when you don't have good athletes and you want to slow the game down. it's something a mediocre teams runs to try and hang with an athletic up tempo team. i guess coach pearl thinks it fits our style perfectly.... after all.... it makes perfect sense to put your tallest, biggest guy 35 feet from the basket... handling the basketball.

we should run a standard motion type offense.... pass a screen away... enter the ball in the freekin wing... look inside... have guys coming off post screens and wing screens... making reads to curl, fade, or back cut.... have post players screening for each other when guards can't get them the ball from the wing. they should learn how to freeking play basketball and not run some stupid pattern offense. seriously the FLEX is a freekin joke.

Yeah thats why we set the record for most points "EVER SCORED BY A TENN TEAM!" this year. We played the #6 team in the nation and lost by 1,STFU!!! You chumps complaining must have only been fans for the last 4 years or you would appreciate where CBP has us positioned in the B'Ball world!!!

we should run a standard motion type offense.... pass a screen away... enter the ball in the freekin wing... look inside... have guys coming off post screens and wing screens... making reads to curl, fade, or back cut.... have post players screening for each other when guards can't get them the ball from the wing. they should learn how to freeking play basketball and not run some stupid pattern offense. seriously the FLEX is a freekin joke.

What do you do for a living Einstein?

Yeah thats why we set the record for most points "EVER SCORED BY A TENN TEAM!" this year. We played the #6 team in the nation and lost by 1,STFU!!! You chumps complaining must have only been fans for the last 4 years or you would appreciate where CBP has us positioned in the B'Ball world!!!

Uh, no.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I actually agree with this kinda (subtract all the emotion). Tennessee always leads the SEC or is near the top when in scoring offense. If we are averaging 80+ a game then I don't see the big deal. The only issue yesterday was turnovers.

The flex isn't flashy, but the numbers don't lie.

Sorry, I meant to quote SmokeyBlueTick

I think CBP probably knows what will work for the kids he recruits, I agree the flex always looks herky jerky when they run it. UT true game is to press, make steals and push the ball. Give Purdue credit, they where rank 6th. in the nation

That is OK. Bruce can survive without your support.
Why does it always have to be like this?

It's not about supporting or not supporting the coach. Everybody gets the great success that Pearl has achieved, but you can't watch more than about 5 minutes of Tennessee basketball without coming to the conclusion that we struggle to get consistent good looks in in half court sets.

Last edited:
I only watched the second half last night, but I saw very, very little of the flex. If you discard a couple of random attempted screens on the blocks, I can count the times we cycled through that offense on no fingers.

:crazy:

Care to elaborate?

Not speaking for the man, but its painfully obvious what he means.

UT scored their school record against a team that quite frankly, could have been beaten in a wheelchair league. ANY type of offense could score against them, and a ton of the points were in transition. The flex offense was not responsible for these points, as the poster suggested.

All you have to do is read everyone else's posts concerning Pearl, to understand the rest of it.

You chumps complaining must have only been fans for the last 4 years or you would appreciate where CBP has us positioned in the B'Ball world!!!

Pearl has us at the same level Green had us earlier this decade. Don't act like UT basketball never accomplished anything pre-Pearl.

Not speaking for the man, but its painfully obvious what he means.

UT scored their school record against a team that quite frankly, could have been beaten in a wheelchair league. ANY type of offense could score against them, and a ton of the points were in transition. The flex offense was not responsible for these points, as the poster suggested.

All you have to do is read everyone else's posts concerning Pearl, to understand the rest of it.

Well I was curious as to exactly what would be presented as rebuttal. I notice that UK has UNC-A coming up on the schedule. Lets see if Cal can one-up us :).

I actually agree with this kinda (subtract all the emotion). Tennessee always leads the SEC or is near the top when in scoring offense. If we are averaging 80+ a game then I don't see the big deal. The only issue yesterday was turnovers.

The flex isn't flashy, but the numbers don't lie.

Sorry, I meant to quote SmokeyBlueTick

those numbers are because when the press is working... we score points in bunches. and this especially happens against weak opponents. against QUALITY opponents and well coached, DISCIPLINED teams... you MUST have a reliable half-court offense.

cmon... how often do you see UNC, Kansas, Duke, MichSt standing 35 feet from the basket tossing the ball back and forth. it's the FLEX... it's terrible.

I only watched the second half last night, but I saw very, very little of the flex. If you discard a couple of random attempted screens on the blocks, I can count the times we cycled through that offense on no fingers.
I don't watch every minute of every game, and I don't know a lot about the flex... sometimes, it looks like we pass the ball around the horn for a while... whoever has it last takes the shot...

Seriously, did anyone watch the game last night or do you all just have a stockpile of ready to go complaints you refer to?

Seriously, did anyone watch the game last night or do you all just have a stockpile of ready to go complaints you refer to?

I refused to watch until they cover up those hideous tattoos.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Well I was curious as to exactly what would be presented as rebuttal. I notice that UK has UNC-A coming up on the schedule. Lets see if Cal can one-up us :).

I doubt we score 124, as we don't have the shooters. We probably beat them by 30 something, might reach 100 points. Which is Cal's goal, as he is not a "jag-off" like Pearl. :) lol

Thats going to come back to bite us in the arse I'm afraid.

VN Store

Back