'10 FL ATH Matt Elam

It is sounding more and more like Elam will not be part of our class. The staff is pretty upset at the comments he made about WVU and this trip to Tennessee probably means he won't be a Gator. The recent offer of Riley also adds to the theory. I don't know if this means he is going to Tennessee or not but the "Elam will de-commit" smoke is certainly there.
threatening to pull a scholly offer from a stud can't ever work out well.

You may have to beat WVU for him. They really impressed him on his visit. This is reminding Florida fans of Greg Reid all over again. Elam was a VERY early commitment and seemed solid as a rock. Then towards the end of the process he completely drops us and looks at a bunch of other schools.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Miami got involved.

threatening to pull a scholly offer from a stud can't ever work out well.

I wouldn't say they would pull the offer. I think the staff just doesn't want to play games and they will go in another direction. If Elam wants to stay then great but they will just treat him as if he is not going to be part of the class. Urban is probably extra pissed because he has known the Elam family for years. There have just been too many rumors about Elam over the last few months. First it was Ohio State, then it was WVU, and now it is Tennessee. Urban probably just had enough.

I wouldn't say they would pull the offer. I think the staff just doesn't want to play games and they will go in another direction. If Elam wants to stay then great but they will just treat him as if he is not going to be part of the class. Urban is probably extra pissed because he has known the Elam family for years. There have just been too many rumors about Elam over the last few months. First it was Ohio State, then it was WVU, and now it is Tennessee. Urban probably just had enough.
he also apparently threatened to pull the offer if he made one of the visits. That's just senseless, if true.

FTR, I don't believe it's true. No coach can believe that is a good move.

And finally, that wasn't a very subtle way of saying "well, we don't want him any more anyway."

he also apparently threatened to pull the offer if he made one of the visits. That's just senseless, if true.

FTR, I don't believe it's true. No coach can believe that is a good move.
And finally, that wasn't a very subtle way of saying "well, we don't want him any more anyway."

mack brown has made his career out of saying this to his commits from texas.

And Texas has 1 Big 12 title in the last 15 years. That's not very good for all the talent they have imo...

To be fair...you should throw in 1 NC also....

It is huge that Elam and Luc are coming in together...Hope they develop a relationship and sway from UF...

And to all fans.... don't boo Crompton....this will probably be the biggest game of the year for Tennessee...not only for the season but also for recruiting....

Last edited:

Urban has too many ties with the family. Also several sites are reporting that Elam told Gerald Christian he just wants to take some "fun visits". He wants to have a good time and take in free visits. Elam apparently was talking up UF to everyone at WVU anyways. He has too many connections to UF, so I don't think the coaches are worried. Nukeese and Reid didn't have those connections so they could easily be turned.

As I said b4, if I were a recruit that committed early, u better believe I would still take free visits to the biggest games of the year, party, and be treated like a king.

I am not saying Elam will not end up at UF. But sometimes those free "fun visits" turn into decommitments also with UF offering Riley they may be thinking the same.

Elam de-committed. He said that if signing day were today, he would go to WVU. This is going down just like the Greg Reid recruitment. He will probably end up at WVU, Tennessee, or Alabama.

Early playing time. They run a 3 safety defense and we are loaded at safety. If Tennessee can promise him Eric Berry's spot as a true freshman, I think there is a very chance he goes to UT.

Early playing time. They run a 3 safety defense and we are loaded at safety. If Tennessee can promise him Eric Berry's spot as a true freshman, I think there is a very chance he goes to UT.

I definitely would love to get Elam, but no Vol fans here should be ecstatic about being able to offer him early playing time.

Eh, it happens. You win some and you lose some. If we have to lose out on a guy like Matt Elam because of our depth chart then it means our depth chart is loaded right now. UF and USC are just on another level right now when it comes to recruiting and this is the downside to it.

WVU is a dump. I dont get the draw either. And Bill Stewart? WTF. Why would anyone want to play for him? In his only season his team underachieved big-time.

If Elam officially de-committed I'd be worried most about Tennessee than any of the other schools.

“I still feel I’m committed there,” Elam said of Florida. “That’s where I want to be. I just feel like I have to look around. I’ve never been no other places. I haven’t seen other things. It really opened me up when I went to West Virginia. I still say I’m committed, but I’m looking around.

If Elam was forced to sign right now, where would he land?

“Probably West Virginia,” he said. “It’s crazy, huh? That’s how it is.”

“There’s a lot of places that I could get a better opportunity than Florida,” Elam said. “I’m not going to run away from Florida because of competition, but I don’t want to wait. I feel I shouldn’t have to wait. I just want to go in and play. I don’t want to have to beat out four or five people. I know I’m going to have to compete wherever I go, but Florida probably has the biggest depth in college football, besides USC.”

“He’s going to visit Tennessee this weekend and I think that one hurts a little bit for the Gators, but it’s Matt’s right to do it,” Daniels (Elam's coach) said. “Urban Meyer’s going to be fine at the end of the day no matter what Matt does. Matt’s got to take care of himself.”

Matt Elam sounds wide open, possibly favoring West Virginia | High School Buzz

Throughout this article, he keeps saying he is committed, but then he says if NSD was today, he would sign with WVU. Umm, what?

The definition of "committment" has definitely changed throughout the past 10 years.

Especially with guys projected to play defense, Irvin and Elam....I'm just not getting it. They've only had SIX total defensive players drafted since 2000, and everyone knows how the only one of those picked in the 1st Round turned out.

We've had 6 defensive guys drafted in the 1ST ROUND in the same timeframe.

Last edited:
Kind of taken on a "swinger" feel. "You know I love you baby, but I can't be tied down. I'm committed to us though I swear...I think."

VN Store

Back