Why did clock keep moving when we ran out of bounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetEmVols

We kept running out of bounds in the last drive on 4th QTR and the clock kept moving...? any reason for that?

I know there was one time forward progress was stopped at the side line, the player was then ran out of bounds. The clock should never stop in this situation.

I noticed that myself. I seen 3 plays that was run out of bounds and the clock continued to run.

The official kept winding the clock as if the players progress had been stopped. I thought they were awful calls that werent addressed for whatever reason by the announcers.

There was a rule change. The clock keeps running if you run out of bounds. Only stops in the last two minutes of each half.

yeah i was wondering this myself and i was like "why the hell are the announcers not noticing it!!!". they need to change the dang rules back to what it was. clock stops on first down. running out of bounds stops the clock. getting out of bounds adds alot more to the game. who makes these damn rules?

yeah i was wondering this myself and i was like "why the hell are the announcers not noticing it!!!". they need to change the dang rules back to what it was. clock stops on first down. running out of bounds stops the clock. getting out of bounds adds alot more to the game. who makes these damn rules?

I disagree. College football games used to be way too long. I like the rule that inside 2 minutes it stops, I agree with that, but there's no point in stopping the clock in the 1st quarter...seriously.

I really think they should just do it the way they do in the NFL, which is just don't stop the clock to move the chains when a team gets a first down. This is why games in college were so much longer than NFL games.

I disagree. College football games used to be way too long. I like the rule that inside 2 minutes it stops, I agree with that, but there's no point in stopping the clock in the 1st quarter...seriously.

I really think they should just do it the way they do in the NFL, which is just don't stop the clock to move the chains when a team gets a first down. This is why games in college were so much longer than NFL games.

I agree. I think the rule change was promoted by the tv networks because games were running way over the alloted tv times. Ever notice NFL games nearly always fit into their alloted time frame?

You are making the same mistake, IMHO, that the idiots on the rules committee make. The time window that the game fills from kickoff to final gun may well be too long (I know it is too long for ideal television.)

The answer to that is NOT to reduce the number of plays in a game, which is what any "run the clock" adjustment will do. The answer is to reduce the time taken within that window that isn't football, like pregame analysis, halftime, timeouts, and TV Commercial breaks.

The reason the games were longer before the recent rule change was because they loaded up on commercials. Watching a Jefferson Pilot game was like sitting through a double feature of Lawrence of Arabia and Battlefield Earth, they took forever. In order to prevent any of the network's later programming to be interrupted by overrunning games, they passed the rule. It worked out great for the fans: less football and the same number of ads.

i am almost sure the clock actually does stop when a player runs out of bounds outside 2 minutes, until the ball is placed in on the line. then it will start back up. i will watch some replays to be sure, but i am about 95% positive thats how the rule is supposed to work.

The officials ruled that the forward progress was stopped inbounds and then the player went out of bounds. (i thought it was close)
The clock always stops when someone goes out of bounds even with the new rules. The only difference is that now the clock restarts when the ref gives the ready for play signal and not at the snap.
Inside of 2 min. it goes back to starting at the snap. I wish they would go to the NFL rule of using the 4 min mark.

The clock always stops when someone goes out of bounds even with the new rules. The only difference is that now the clock restarts when the ref gives the ready for play signal and not at the snap.

Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back