Go Vols! Beat UCLA! (from Cal fans)

I'm tentatively scheduled to interview Coach Montgomery next week. Anything in particular you'd like me to ask?

you might ask him what he expects out of bak bak (true freshman with huge talent, but very little experience) and if he sees someone emerging as an inside presence. you'll find him to be very open and very much downplay cal's chances next year. I saw him recently at a alumni event and he said cal didn't have a single nba player on his roster which i'm sure made christopher and randle happy. :lolabove: not that i disagree with him.

Inner-UC system rivalry? SoCal vs. NorCal? Out with it, 'dro. Make some conversation.

all right. this is a long list

1) they stole our fight song
2) they stole our mascot
3) they stole our colors
4) their football fans are extremely arrogant despite sucking for years
5) their basketball fans think they invented the sport, yet don't accept their greatest run came from cheating.
6) they like to think of themselves as academically superior which is completely laughable
7) every major player under tedford they've claimed wanted to go to ucla, but couldn't get in (marshawn lynch, desean jackson, jahvid best). this despite the fact that as an UC school both schools have exactly the same minimum entrence standards and cal has had FAR more all pac-10 academic players and has a higher graduation rate for football players.
8) their coach is a slimeball and has basically stated #7 in interviews without any evidence whatsoever to back it up
9) their internet fans are the biggest douchebags on the planet

and there are more but i've run out of steam.

When I came out for the 06' game, I had a spectacular time, minus a 4 hour or so period that I simply can't remember for whatever reason :eek:lol:

TNFlower invited the Cal fans to her barbecue, where she cooked up some 300 lbs of southern bbq and didn't ask for a penny (though plenty of well-to-do Cal fans pitched in, I was a poor student at the time and had about $100 to work with for my entire trip... slept against one of your libraries the night before the game). Another poster on the old scout board, dd4vols, gave me a ride to and from Nashville airport and also put me up in his hotel the night after the game. Throw in the fact some guy in a trailer traded me a jar of moonshine for a Cal shirt and the amazing atmosphere around the stadium, and I became a bit of a Vol fan that day. Have yet to meet a fanbase that was anywhere near as cool all-around.

Meanwhile, I hate UCLA. And have money on Tennessee (hope it work sbetter than my Tennessee -7 bet last year...).

Please crush them, conference pride be damned.

Great story, glad you had such a good trip to Knoxville.

It's funny because CAL fans obviously have some weird fascination with UCLA while we just don't like them very much. And to the CAL poster who posted a myriad of bogus remarks about UCLA please state the truth next time.

CAL has always admitted players (from Jason Kidd to Russell White) that would never qualify at UCLA under any circumstance so the schools do not have the same exact entry requirements for "athletes." Students yes but not athletes just ask Marshawn Lynch and Desean Jackson who wanted to attend UCLA but could not get accepted (that is a true statement and they said as much publicly).

Also, to say that John Wooden (voted greatest coach ever in any sport recently) was a cheater is flat out wrong and offensive really. UCLA didn't even win during Woodens first 7 years as head coach but as soon as he was able to get the big time players it was all over for the rest of the country and history was made. He did not have to cheat to win and beat up on CAL every year just like UCLA does now.

Finally, Vols fans you guys may indeed win the game this Saturday but watch when CAL comes to the Rosebowl this year (they haven't won there in years despite the program being very mediocre). Just watch and see what happens.

complete and utter garbage

a) if they said as much publically how come no one can ever produce an article or quote that backs this up.

b) as for wooden i suggest you google San Gilbert and ask yourself why you all of a suddden started attracting the top talent at UCLA.

A blowout is not going to happen and that is a certainty. Tennessee has a definite home field advantage but UCLA is not close to the same team that was blown out last year by BYU in game 2. First of all, last year's team lost it's top 2 QB's before the season even began. Not the case now and the starting QB is light years better than what we threw out there last season or the season before that. Second, UCLA's team speed was horrendous last year and that has been substantially upgraded this year with returning players that were injured and incoming track stars (3 top state sprint champions now in two deep that were not available last season). Finally, the offensive line we threw out there was small, inexperienced and really just plain bad. 3 new starters were added in the off-season at LT, Center and RG with two of the three being transfers and weighing over 315lbs each (U. Colorado and Junior College). The defense is also a year older and wiser with nearly every key player back so that unit is better. Bottom line, this will not be an easy game for anyone, including Tennessee this season. You can bet on that.

complete and utter garbage

a) if they said as much publically how come no one can ever produce an article or quote that backs this up.

b) as for wooden i suggest you google San Gilbert and ask yourself why you all of a suddden started attracting the top talent at UCLA.
was Sam Gilbert not a saint? I'm bothered by this. It shatters my image of Wooden winning because he taught his players to tie their shoes every season.

Sam Gilbert had no relationship with John Wooden genius (Wooden hated that guy and stayed away from him) and D. Jackson is a personal family friend who was to be represented (for baseball) by members of our agency. You don't have a clue what you are talking about and why don't you explain how Prop 48 Russell White and flunky Jason Kidd played at CAL since your academic standards are so high. Marshawn Lynch stated that he would have attended UCLA if he could have met their standards months before committing to CAL. I guess that CAL experience stuck with him since his behavior hasn't changed much in the pros either.

For those who want to know why players like Lew Alcindor (name at that time) went to UCLA read his book Giant Steps and he is clear. Sam Gilbert had nothing to do with players Wooden brought to UCLA. Gilbert was a rich weasel that would get next to players and give them things to have an in with them once they turned pro for his own selfish reasons. Wooden was not in concert with Gilbert on any level and this poster knows that.

Last edited:
I'm now waiting for "Bill Walton did not smoke pot and he hates the Grateful Dead."

Sam Gilbert had no relationship with John Wooden genius (Wooden hated that guy and stayed away from him) and D. Jackson is personal family friend who was to be represented (for baseball) by members of our agency. You don't have a clue what you are talking about and why don't you explain how Prop 48 Russell White and flunky Jason Kidd played at CAL since your academic standards are so high. Marshawn Lynch stated that he would have attended UCLA if he could have met their standards months before committing to CAL. I guess that CAL experience stuck with him since his behavior hasn't changed much in the pros either.

:lolabove:

I see so if he hated the guy how come he never banned him from "entertaining" his players?

as for desean jackson he was down to Cal and USC and picked Cal. If he really wanted to stay in LA why the hell would he go to UCLA over USC? The guy had a 3.0 gpa and 1200 sat score for christ sake. and marshawn lynch was FROM OAKLAND. Please link an article where marshawn says he wanted to go to UCLA. I'll pay you $1000 if you can come up with it. Why do you people continue to state this crap without any evidence whatsoever to back it up?

and let's not forget UCLA is the university that admitted Brian Price.

Actual info about desean jackson: Jackson has a 3.0 GPA and 1280 SAT. http://california.scout.com/a.z?s=166&p=8&c=1&nid=1211820

Last edited:
Also, to say that John Wooden (voted greatest coach ever in any sport recently) was a cheater is flat out wrong and offensive really. UCLA didn't even win during Woodens first 7 years as head coach but as soon as he was able to get the big time players it was all over for the rest of the country and history was made. He did not have to cheat to win and beat up on CAL every year just like UCLA does now.

it just took him 7 years to accept the fact he was being outbid

CAL fans are still reeling from that beat down you guys put on them on national TV a few years ago and are trying to weasel up to you now. Jealousy is poor reason to root against teams in your own state but leave it to those hippies to do just that. UCLA has been average in football for years and still beat CAL when they come out here while they always underachieve when highly ranked (wait until later when they play an actual team). I always wonder how one roots for program that stomped them just a couple of years before when they have no other allegiance. Baffling really.

No it took him years to implement his system (which many CAL coaches have attempted to emulate mind you) and recruit players that were NBA caliber every year. Hard to argue with 7 titles in a row and 10 in 12 years whether you are cheating or not. Tarkanian was the biggest cheat ever and he won 1 championship and he was a great coach. Didn't seem to help him much just like Calipari and the rest.

CAL fans are still reeling from that beat down you guys put on them on national TV a few years ago and are trying to weasel up to you now. Jealousy is poor reason to root against teams in your own state but leave it to those hippies to do just that. UCLA has been average in football for years and still beat CAL when they come out here while they always underachieve when highly ranked (wait until later when they play an actual team). I always wonder how one roots for program that stomped them just a couple of years before when they have no other allegiance. Baffling really.

and people wonder why cal hates ucla.

Again explain how Prop 48 Russell White and Jason Kidd who was 19 goin on 20 years of age while at St. Josephs were admitted to CAL if their academic standards are so high. UCLA has never taken any Prop 48 player in history. Brian Price was not a bad student either so I have no idea where you get that information. The Malele's who attended CAL from Carson High were also borderline qualifiers along with Brandon Mebane but you fail to mention that. UCLA recruited Lynce as a junior when other schools were shying away from him. That was over 6 years ago and UCLA tried to get a verbal but pulled off once they saw his GPA and SAT's were so low. He stated then that he wanted to attend but could not because the staff pulled off due to grades. Funny, how CAL landed him anyway. USC is worse than CAL at admitting borderline qualifiers so of course Jackson came down to USC and CAL once he knew UCLA was not an option. Ask him personally where he wanted to go if you ever see him. I already know the answer. Then Explain to UT fans about CAL's "Special Admit" program for athletes (you should know a bunch about that). That should end the argument.

Again explain how Prop 48 Russell White and Jason Kidd who was 19 goin on 20 years of age while at St. Josephs were admitted to CAL if their academic standards are so high. UCLA has never taken any Prop 48 player in history. Brian Price was not a bad student either so I have no idea where you get that information. The Malele's who attended CAL from Carson High were also borderline qualifiers along with Brandon Mebane but you fail to mention that. UCLA recruited Lynce as a junior when other schools were shying away from him. That was over 6 years ago and UCLA tried to get a verbal but pulled off once they saw his GPA and SAT's were so low. He stated then that he wanted to attend but could not because the staff pulled off due to grades. Funny, how CAL landed him anyway. USC is worse than CAL at admitting borderline qualifiers so of course Jackson came down to USC and CAL once he knew UCLA was not an option. Ask him personally where he wanted to go if you ever see him. I already know the answer. Then Explain to UT fans about CAL's "Special Admit" program for athletes (you should know a bunch about that). That should end the argument.

you do realize prop 48 doesn't exist anymore right?

and once again post me the article where lynch said this. $1,000 should be a good incentive no?

as for special admits you really stepped in it this time:

SignOnSanDiego.com > Sports -- Athletes going to college get 'special' treatment

Seventy percent of scholarship athletes at UCLA over the previous three years were special admits; for SDSU, that figure was 64.5 percent.

By contrast, the percentage of special admits for the general student body is far lower: about 3 percent at UCLA and 20 percent at SDSU.

“In order to be competitive in Division I-A athletics, you're going to have to have some flexibility compared to your normal admission policy,” UCLA Assistant Vice Chancellor Tom Lifka said. “We need those students if we're going to be competitive in certain sports.”

Cal (52 percent) and San Jose State (41 percent) were next in the survey, which was based on public records requests of the eight public schools in the Pac-10 Conference, seven in the Mountain West, UCSD, San Jose State, Fresno State and Sacramento State. Private schools in those conferences did not respond.

I just raped you.

And here is a report/blog from a San Jose newspaper (only 30 minutes from CAL's campus) reporting on the difference between athletic entry requirements with numbers for all to see: Now you can see how Jackson and Lynch got in at one school but not the other.

Pac-10 football: Admissions data for all schools | College Sports Hotline

Obviously, UCLA only trails Stanford when it comes to athletes and academics in the Pac-10 and that is not up for debate. CAL can't even top Oregon for GPA wow!

Last edited:
LS2 has a few of those don't they? :thumbsup:

I was reading a thread on tigerdroppings yesterday and a south carolina fan said they hoped TN got a real beating from "big brother" (referring to florida.) What kind of lame crap is that? When you're making statements like that, referring affectionately to a conference rival, it's time to just quit supporting any team.

A few :). You post on LS2 often? I guess my handle and posting style is easy to spot :hi:

yes that 6 point difference between ucla and cal football on the sat made all the difference. are you really this stupid?

CAL's special admit program is not the same as UCLA's as each school has different qualifiers (UCLA's special admits require much higher scores than does CAL) so you didn't rape anything moron. It's funny how you talk about how Prop 48 doesn't exist but then don't answer how Jason Kidd or Russell White got in when no other reputable academic institution would take them. Read the San Jose Mercury article I posted comparing SAT and GPA scores for athletes at UCLA and CAL and then see who raped whom. CAL recruits players UCLA cannot even look at when it comes to football and basketball and CAL still has how many national championships? UCLA leads the nation. But you raped who?

Last edited:
Sam Gilbert had no relationship with John Wooden genius (Wooden hated that guy and stayed away from him) and D. Jackson is a personal family friend who was to be represented (for baseball) by members of our agency. You don't have a clue what you are talking about and why don't you explain how Prop 48 Russell White and flunky Jason Kidd played at CAL since your academic standards are so high. Marshawn Lynch stated that he would have attended UCLA if he could have met their standards months before committing to CAL. I guess that CAL experience stuck with him since his behavior hasn't changed much in the pros either.

For those who want to know why players like Lew Alcindor (name at that time) went to UCLA read his book Giant Steps and he is clear. Sam Gilbert had nothing to do with players Wooden brought to UCLA. Gilbert was a rich weasel that would get next to players and give them things to have an in with them once they turned pro for his own selfish reasons. Wooden was not in concert with Gilbert on any level and this poster knows that.

to steal a line from a classic song and mod it a bit

Welcome to Neyland, now your gonna die..."

VN Store

Back