WKU Game on backup channel in Knoxville?

mcbeevol

I just checked the Directv guide for Saturday, 9/5, and it lists US Open tennis on the main CBS channel (WVLT), and the UT vs WKU game on the backup channel (WVLT2) for the Knoxville area. If this is the case, the picture quality will be just like the "glorious days of JP football"!

:hmm:

I just checked the Directv guide for Saturday, 9/5, and it lists US Open tennis on the main CBS channel (WVLT), and the UT vs WKU game on the backup channel (WVLT2) for the Knoxville area. If this is the case, the picture quality will be just like the "glorious days of JP football"!

even if it's on MyWVLT2, it's better than most years. This game last year would have been pay per view. With the new ESPN deal, we'll only have 1 pay per view game a year.

At least you guys can watch it on free TV. I'll have to settle for ESPN360. I'd gladly take JP TV picure quality over streaming internet.

CBS has the US Open at the same time. In past years, WVLT would shift coverage to their secondary channel, and put the SEC game on the main station in HD.

This year, CBS has declared the US Open as "must carry," meaning that WVLT is required to show the tennis on their main station. It's out of their hands.

What !!!!!!!!! They are gonna play the U.S. Open over college football? Come on even the Delta Alpha's at CBS know that football is gonna generate more revenue than tennis. So what is this WVLT 2 ??? Lived here all of my life and have never heard of that. I have never seen a WVLT 2 on my Direct TV channel listing either. A little help please.:banghead2:

So what is this WVLT 2 ??? Lived here all of my life and have never heard of that. I have never seen a WVLT 2 on my Direct TV channel listing either. A little help please.:banghead2:
This is a sub-channel for WVLT, and their current name is "MyVLT". It is located on channel 30 for Directv. Here are the channel numbers for MyVLT in the Knoxville area:

Where to find MyVLT

:popcorn:

Anyone know if a person out of state (I'm in Georgia) will be able to watch the WKU game on TV? I know about ESPN360, but I'm afraid my slow internet connection/ancient computer, would make watching it over the internet frustrating. In the past I would go to a sports bar for games that were pay-per-view, but I'm wondering if this ESPN360 thing is going to force a person to watch it on-line.

What !!!!!!!!! They are gonna play the U.S. Open over college football? Come on even the Delta Alpha's at CBS know that football is gonna generate more revenue than tennis. So what is this WVLT 2 ??? Lived here all of my life and have never heard of that. I have never seen a WVLT 2 on my Direct TV channel listing either. A little help please.:banghead2:

Again, it's not the local station's call. CBS national is telling them they have to show tennis. CBS national would be making zero money on the football, only the local station profits, while they are making a boatload of cash on tennis by promising advertisers 100% clearance on CBS stations nationwide.

I'm certainly a much bigger football fan than tennis, but the numbers don't lie. CBS's US Open Tennis coverage got a higher rating on its two Saturdays last fall than any single SEC football game did. So that revenue argument, well...

Not now remember ESPN is doing the games for the SEC Network plus all stations are now broadcasting in digital so it should be an excellent picture.

Well, the local CBS station bid more for it. The local Fox station certainly had an opportunity to bid on it, but passed.

Based on the SEC looking at gametimes from previous years, they anticipate that moving the game to 12:21 from its previous start of 12:37 will eliminate any bleedover into the 3:30 game. Only about 5% of games over the last five years (starting at 12:37) went past 3:45. So moving that game up 16 minutes would mean that the game would, in theory, mean that 95% of the time you'll see kickoff on the 3:30 game.

VN Store

Back