Kiffin tabs frosh "Fab Four"

Hardesty, however, isn't a great receiver out of the backfield and doesn't possess the lateral running skills and vision of a top-flight back.
Pretty poor assessment of Hardesty there, Griff. You're clearly not a talent evaluator. Perhaps you should leave that to those better suited.

If there's one position I know, it's running backs....I've covered the best, and I know a great one when I see one

Hardesty is a tough runner, stronger, determined and fast.

But the guy has gotten injured because he takes so many direct hits....watch his runs, and you'll see he doesn't have the "wiggle'' in the hole that turns death-shots into glancing blows.

Further, he's not as smooth on the perimeter runs....some backs "glide'' running laterally -- that was Foster's strength.

Now, Foster didn't have the vertical game Hardesty does...

There's no jitterbug in Hardesty either -- he can't make something out of nothing, like some great backs.

If there's a hole, he's money. If there's not, he's getting back to the line, or taking a big shot.

Watch and evaluate these things I have said for yourself.

Hardesty -- good leader, tough guy, good presence.

Not a great back, and I use the word "great'' sparingly.

If there's one position I know, it's running backs....I've covered the best, and I know a great one when I see one

But the guy has gotten injured because he takes so many direct hits....watch his runs, and you'll see he doesn't have the "wiggle'' in the hole that turns death-shots into glancing blows.

Further, he's not as smooth on the perimeter runs....some backs "glide'' running laterally -- that was Foster's strength.

There's no jitterbug in Hardesty either -- he can't make something out of nothing, like some great backs.

If there's a hole, he's money. If there's not, he's getting back to the line, or taking a big shot.

I'll agree with that. Haresty reminds me of a smaller Earl Campbell. He's always looking to spin and hit his way off of a tackle and likes to punish defenders.

Good eval! Hardesty is SEC caliber back but not Jamal Lewis (cliff note version )

Great article Griff. I think Oku will be the first one to breakout. I see him torching opposing defenses out of the slot postion.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Berry called Hardesty the best he'd gone against...

In evaluating RB's: Berry>Griff.

Sorry Griff. I typically like and appreciate your stuff. I don't think Hardesty lacks the ability to make a move. I just think that isn't his first instinct.

I think Berry is a great teammate, and is saying the right things....

If you believe Hardesty is the best back Eric Berry has faced over the past two seasons....wow.

What is Berry supposed to say? That he's one-dimensional? That half the teams the Vols have played over the past two seasons have had running backs as good, if not better?

Come on now...

Ah... I see. Berry's a liar trying to play his teammate? Come on Griff. It might not have been a completely thought out compliment but it was VERY high and unsolicited praise.

If you believe Hardesty is the best back Eric Berry has faced over the past two seasons....wow.
Did I say he was? I simply said that Berry is more of an authority on which RB's are great in the SEC right now than you are. Sorry that stings.

What is Berry supposed to say? That he's one-dimensional? That half the teams the Vols have played over the past two seasons have had running backs as good, if not better?

Come on now...

What's he supposed to say? How about nothing? How about "He's as good as any back I've faced"? How about "He's one of the toughest backs you'll ever see and hits the hole harder than anyone"?

There's a million things he could have said that left room for your criticisms. He didn't do it.

Are you seriously trying to say you have a more intimate knowledge of the SEC's RB's than Berry. "Come on now..."

Like I said, I like your work for the most part but your sensitivity to being questioned over this is interesting.

Pretty poor assessment of Hardesty there, Griff. You're clearly not a talent evaluator. Perhaps you should leave that to those better suited.

Hardesty has terrible hands and he has consistently ran into the backs of his blockers for the last 4 years.

BTW, Yes. Hardesty has taken too much contact over his career and suffered consequences. He's also been subject to some "bad luck" types of joint injuries that typically happen to guys who change direction suddenly.

Come on now...

McFadden curled up in 2007 and Felix Jones got hurt. Anthony Dixon is a soft 240 lb TB.

Les Miles refuses to let Keiland Williams get a lot of touches.

Glen Coffee was a plowhorse, he didn't have great speed.

Did PJ Hill play against UT in the Outback Bowl?

I imagine Hardesty is one of the hardest runners Berry has faced. That's one thing I do like about Hardesty is he never goes down on first contact (might also be the reason he stays hurt)

Last edited:
Berry called Hardesty the best he'd gone against...

In evaluating RB's: Berry>Griff.

Sorry Griff. I typically like and appreciate your stuff. I don't think Hardesty lacks the ability to make a move. I just think that isn't his first instinct.

Well, Berry was the one that said UT was going to win 10 games this season, so maybe he doesn't really know what he's talking about after all

I'm glad Kiffin is showing Oku love. It seems he gets overlooked on Volnation at times due to the #1 ranking of BB. JMO. I know I'll be one of 100,000+ screaming my lungs out when these guys take the field for the first time against WKU. Throw in Teague and Nuke and I'm gonna be in heaven. I know that the fab four are freshman and I shouldn't get my hopes up too incredibly high, but I think my excitement is as much about their play as an indication of our future success as it is just about them being on the field as true freshmen.

Agree that Hardesty is one of the hardest runners -- if he were as powerful as Travis Henry or as explosive and big as Jamal (235), he would be special. But at 215, you've still got to make guys miss a little --

As for the critics,

I'm not saying Eric Berry isn't a good person -- don't twist it.

But it's typical for players to give their teammates a lot of love -- don't be stupid.

Look at the numbers, look at the game....look at the draft projections...

Maybe the zone blocking scheme will work out well for Hardesty, but on the lateral runs I've seen from him -- not too many -- he has not looked smooth.

Also, he drops the ball -- that's one reason why he hasn't played more in the past -- QBs could throw to foster -- he had soft hands to catch (though seemingly not soft enough to secure) the ball.

Take off the orange colored glasses and be real in your assessments, and you won't leave Neyland Stadium disappointed....

Vols need Bryce Brown or Oku to step up and be a playmaker -- they haven't had one in the backfield since Gerald Riggs was healthy and had a good attitude and LaMarcus Coker still loved the game (they were fleeting moments, it seemed)

:pirate:

VN Store

Back