"I'm not going to Notre Dame. Ever."

"......So when he all but slammed his fist on the table the other day and said, “I’m not going to Notre Dame. Ever. I’m going to be the coach at Florida for a long time, as long as they want me,” we had to believe him right?

Uh, no.

Personally, I think Meyer’s gone. Gator fanboy needs to understand something: Coaches lie. They do it because they think they have to. They do it to keep recruits from getting cold feet and to keep their players focused. They do it because they think it’s none of your business whether they take that next job or not.

Get ready for a season of denials. But they mean nothing."

Deny, deny, deny: But don't be surprised if Meyer leaves | Jeff Schultz

After thinking about it, I don't think he leaves. Not because he wants to stay at UF, but because ND will win 9-10 games this year, if not more. They have a cakewalk schedule and a very talented team with experience. If Weis manages to somehow only win 7-8 games I think he gets canned. Too much talent to not be able to out talent Navy, Nevada, etc.

Speaking of the Cum to ND rumor, I never knew Finebaum and Greg Doyel were BFF.

Idiots creating Meyer news where none exists - CBSSports.com News, Fantasy, Video

Finebaum expanded last week on Spurrier's jealous-speak with a column in a paper in the South -- oh hell, here's the link; see this guy's "work" for yourself -- where he wrote, "Urban Meyer is probably leaving Florida after the season to go to Notre Dame."

Finebaum's source? He doesn't mention one. Because he doesn't have one. His source is either Spurrier's "rumor down there," or that vast empty space Finebaum calls his skull. (Does it seem personal, my viewpoint on Finebaum? It's not. I don't know him. Don't want to know him. Don't respect him. Don't believe him. That clear?)

Urban Meyer would be crazy to leave Florida....He doesn't have to leave his back yard to recruit the best talent in the country for one and 2nd of all, it kind of ties in to the first one but like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, with Miami and FSU not winning like they used to its even easier, and winning 2 NC's at a school in 3 years will pretty much get you anything you want....Urban will be there a long time, after his first season at UF, had he not had the success he has had so far, I would say I could see him going but not now

Perfectly said Ainge....it is what I have always said:

Bowling Green - Utah = Utah is a better gig
Utah - Florida = Florida is a better gig
Florida - Notre Dame = Florida is a better gig

Notre Dame has more tradition than Florida.
Notre Dame has been a bigger program longer.

None of this matters because Weis will still be there next year. Too much talent there and too easy of a schedule.

You're wrong on two of those, and the third is debatable (that being Utah compared to Florida).

No. Florida is no where near the program ND is. ND just oozes tradition.

Let's play the "who has an advantage" game...

Tradition- Notre Dame
Money- Notre Dame
Fan Base- Notre Dame
E
Path to BCS Championship/Bowl- Notre Dame (10 wins is an automatic bcs bid for them...)
Nationally Televised Games- about even now, but the NBC deal is pretty sweet
The chance to build one of the premiere programs... And let's face it...getting Notre Dame to the BCS Nat'l Champ game trumps 2 or 3 rings at Florida...

Notre Dame is, by far, a much better job than Florida... Not right now, but with someone like Urban it wouldn't take long to rebuild that program... They will throw the bank at him, and the reasons I just listed, will draw him to South Bend.

Florida is new money..

Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't disagree with you on that if you go by past tradition and what not, but, I do think if you look at things since Weiss came to ND and Meyer to UF and compare the 2 schools, one could make an arguement for what the Gator is saying...Right now, the way UF is winning I don't know of any where else Meyer would want to go if he would want to leave...JMO:peace2:

I don't disagree with you on that if you go by past tradition and what not, but, I do think if you look at things since Weiss came to ND and Meyer to UF and compare the 2 schools, one could make an arguement for what the Gator is saying...Right now, the way UF is winning I don't know of any where else Meyer would want to go if he would want to leave...JMO:peace2:

I can see Meyer leaving for ND after Weis is eventually gone. I donÂ’t see that happening this year given NDÂ’s soft schedule. Weis would have to have an epic meltdown to get fired after this season.

1) You cannot compare the history and tradition of ND football with UF football (I think a lot of coaches have an appreciation for history and tradition).

2) 2 NCÂ’s at UF (possibly a 3rd after this season), there is nowhere to go but down at UF. Why hang around for that?

I can see Meyer leaving for ND after Weis is eventually gone. I don’t see that happening this year given ND’s soft schedule. Weis would have to have an epic meltdown to get fired after this season.

1) You cannot compare the history and tradition of ND football with UF football (I think a lot of coaches have an appreciation for history and tradition).

2) 2 NC’s at UF (possibly a 3rd after this season), there is nowhere to go but down at UF. Why hang around for that?
Well didn't their AD say that ND had to be in at least the talk for a NC this season for him to keep his job? I agree, tradition and prestige do attract coaches, or coaches that are worth anything...I'm not saying that Urban Meyer wouldn't go because truth is, if ND offered him more money than what he is making at UF(although I do think it would take a lot)he would go...I just don't see it happening next year

You are right about there is no where to go but down, but I will say this....From everything I've ever heard about Urban Meyer from some of my friends that are Gators that follow them pretty closely, Urban Meyer puts a lot of pressure on himself to do well(but don't all coaches) and he doesn't want to fall off....IMO, if he goes somewhere aside from UF it won't be for at least another 2-4 years and that's saying IF he goes

.........IMO, if he goes somewhere aside from UF it won't be for at least another 2-4 years and that's saying IF he goes

IMO he will go. It is just a matter of WHEN, not IF. Gone are the days of Bowden and Joe Pa where coaches retire from a school.

IMO he will go. It is just a matter of WHEN, not IF. Gone are the days of Bowden and Joe Pa where coaches retire from a school.
True....And like him or not CPF was a pretty loyal guy too, IMO

I agree he will more than likely go, but I think it won't be for another couple of years

True....And like him or not CPF was a pretty loyal guy too, IMO

I agree he will more than likely go, but I think it won't be for another couple of years

I would not mind that. I am curious about what he will do without Tebow. I could see him being the Billy Donovan of UF Football (caught lightning in a bottle with Joakim Noah then crashed).

I would not mind that. I am curious about what he will do without Tebow. I could see him being the Billy Donovan of UF Football (caught lightning in a bottle with Joakim Noah then crashed).
I wouldn't mind seeing him leave UF either because things would certainly get easier lol....I think UF better enjoy this year because there will never be another Tim Tebow, as much as I hate the kid as a player, I have mad respect for someone with as much heart as he does and gives it 110% every play, that being said, Brantley is a capable backup QB and Meyer will tweak his spread attack to fit him, he did the same thing with Chris Leak...I know a lot of people on this board said that his spread option wouldn't work in the SEC(I was one of them)and it proved a bunch of us wrong...Next year with Tim Tebow gone we will see more of a pro-style but it will have a good bit of the spread in it IMO

Refresh my memory on the UF history, tradition, and success (excluding this decade).

Here, I will refresh yours: Notre Dame Fighting Irish football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who cares about what they did when the players on the team weren't even born yet, if Meyer stays at UF he'll have the pick of the litter of Florida kids, and most anyone else he really wants. What's he gonna sell kids on at ND?

"Well there's church, and it snows a lot, and if you want to go see the Indy 500, that's close"

OR

"Look at the championships, look at the facilities, look at all the hot snatch that's only half an hours drive away. Oh did I mention the only time chicks aren't in bikinis is the time we'll spend at our bowl game. Oh, and lets not forget, we play in the SEC which is pretty much the minors of the NFL."

You're crazy if you think you can sell players on Indiana instead of Florida, even if it is Gainesville.

Who cares about what they did when the players on the team weren't even born yet, if Meyer stays at UF he'll have the pick of the litter of Florida kids, and most anyone else he really wants. What's he gonna sell kids on at ND?

"Well there's church, and it snows a lot, and if you want to go see the Indy 500, that's close"

OR

"Look at the championships, look at the facilities, look at all the hot snatch that's only half an hours drive away. Oh did I mention the only time chicks aren't in bikinis is the time we'll spend at our bowl game. Oh, and lets not forget, we play in the SEC which is pretty much the minors of the NFL."

You're crazy if you think you can sell players on Indiana instead of Florida, even if it is Gainesville.

Spoken like a kid who has yet to understand the ignorance of his youth.

OR

Notre Dame has their pick of any kid who either goes to a Catholic school in the Midwest or any Catholic kid who doesn't go to a Catholic school. That's just a starting point, and that's a hell of a lot of talent right off the bat. Weis has done himself no favors by alienating a lot of those coaches over the last few years.

Don't forget that most kids will ask their parents for some kind of input when it comes to college choices; Fulmer said numerous times that the biggest part of recruiting is getting mama on board. And every parent of a high schooler in this country remembers when Notre Dame was must-see football because they were always contending and always playing tough opponents week in and week out.

I don't remember Notre Dames glory days, I'm a bit too young for that... But as a fan of college football I know there is a rich tradition that no other school can touch.

I wonder how Urbans system would "fit" in South Bend?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't remember Notre Dames glory days, I'm a bit too young for that... But as a fan of college football I know there is a rich tradition that no other school can touch. ...

Let me help you with a hypothetical recruiting battle.

Let’s say that Meyer goes to ND. He finds himself going head to head with his former school for a top recruit. As pt says, FL will come in saying –

FL Coach - "Look at the championships, look at the facilities, look at all the hot snatch that's only half an hours drive away. Oh did I mention the only time chicks aren't in bikinis is the time we'll spend at our bowl game. Oh, and lets not forget, we play in the SEC which is pretty much the minors of the NFL."

Recruit – Uh, Coach. Weren’t the championships you speak of won by the guy coaching at ND, because I have seen your history and there is not much outside of that? Regarding the facilities, have you seen ND’s, they are second to no one. They have an exclusive TV contract with NBC and pumped that money into the facilities. Hot snatch 30 minutes away is cool but I am a star football player, I will be busy practicing and besides that, the hot snatch will be coming to me no matter where I play. Girls in bikinis are cool but aren’t pretty girls on every campus.

ND coach Urban Meyer comes to the house the next day and sits down with the recruit, his parents, and coach; and says –

Meyer – Come play for me. I have taken a down program and quickly won 2 NC (possibly 3 after this year). You will be playing for a program that has:

* Won 8 AP and/or Coaches National Championships (forget Alabama’s 12. If we acknowledged everyone who voted us #1 like they do, it would be to many to count)

* The 2nd highest winning percentage in NCAA history

* The 3rd most wins of any program in NCAA history

* 7 Heisman trophy winners

* Produced more All-Americans than any other NCAA program

* Has 10 NFL Hall of Famers

* Has an exclusive contract with NBC. You will be seen every Saturday in households all over America.

* and did I mention Touchdown Jesus, 4 Horsemen, Golden Dome, Knute Rockne, Rudy, Golden Helmets, etc, etc, etc.

Pt can call me crazy but I think Meyer could get recruits to ND.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back