Kiffin crossed the line on this one

HOLY CRAP! Look at the article Griff calls everyone from Minnesota as being ignorant, rude and eliteist. Someone tell Griff to issue an apology to the people of Minnesota.

Exactly what I was thinking! Spot on. How about it Griff? Are you as a professional Journalist ready to publicly apologize to the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State>? If not you sir are a hypocrite! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Good article. Reality is that Kiffin does not think before he speaks, it is a major character flaw for someone in his position, and he needs to just hold his tongue a bit here and there.

That's so funny: a gator lawyer advising anyone to hold his tongue...holy ambulance chasers!

That's an ugly thing for us. My guess is they will talk about it asome point for the good of the university.

Wonder if Kiffin will invite some poor folks from Pahokee over for a swim to make up?

Are you really implying that none of this is due to the fault of Pahokee? Are you that naive?

I'll tell you one thing. You will not be seeing much of Kiffin in the news in future off seasons for matters such as these. It's pretty obvious that he needed some sort of boost recruiting-wise to help the garbage that Phil left him.

Kiffin does not think about how his comments are going to sound or be portrayed. That is the problem.

Perhaps someday he can learn to lie like Urban does especially if it helps he get his way.

Now, let's be honest.

This is the kind of thing people do say. Geez... how many times are UT fans called Hillbillies and when are Hillbillies ever depicted wearing shoes?

Get over it.

You don't hear all this stuff coming from the good people who live in Pudahokee, so why is their such an outcry from Gator fans?

You know exactly why. It has nothing to do with anyone getting offended. It's all about the politics of whining that are so well-practiced by Gator fans who learn from their HC, the supreme Cry Baby of the Land.

If you asked Kiffin that right now, I am certain he would say that he didn't mean to mock the residents of the poor rural areas of South Florida. But it came across that way, it is inevitable that it would, and THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Kiffin does not think about how his comments are going to sound or be portrayed. That is the problem.

I didnt take it that way at all. I took it that he was setting the environment in which they were recruiting and how tough it was to get anyting done with the biased Principle at the school and the tough economic situation these kids face.
Now go cry somewhere else.

Three points here:
Number One: It's not about Lane Kiffin, it's about the person in the position of Tennessee head football coach

Number Two: The comment was made in a public forum, so for the apology to carry any weight, it needs to be made in a public forum as well

Number Three: Poverty is nothing to thumb your nose at. What we have, as individuals, and as a society, should not be taken for granted.

I realize not everyone is sensitive to other people, and I know that winning football games is a top priority for many people.

But this is Tennessee football, and this is a place where it is a part of our society. Whoever holds the position of head football coach at Tennessee should realize that, and not just pay lip service to it.

That's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

BTW, I am on twitter now, for those on it who are interested: @mgrif32

Let's not forget why these comments ever happened in the first place....

WE GOT NUKE!!!!!!!!!!

:pepper::pepper::pepper:

Way to go, Kiff!

Well I think the old adage two wrongs do not make it right could apply here. I do not understand why Griff feels the need to attack coach Kiffin on this subject. Sure he is young and aggressive and he has made some statements which if given a second chance he would spoken differently. He did apologize immediately for what he said. Who gave the principal of Pahokee high school the authority to dictate to coach Kiffin the manor and form of the apology he will accept. I live in South Florida and quite honestly I am shocked by the behavior of this school principal behavior. That being said I am not proposing a witch hunt here. I think this is a good opportunity for the NCAA and possible ESPN to use this story to educate school staff on how to properly handle this type of activities.

I just think its funny that kitten could have been the bigger man here and just apologized to pahokee and the community when requested. whether its true or not, despite when it was said, etc. it was still an a-hole comment and he still CHOSE not to end it easily by just apologizing. who would that have hurt? oh, but kitten needs to proves he's a big bad tough guy. grow up. just apologize. but ofcourse, he needs to prove he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him. the true sign of an insecure 8 yr old.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The more this story lingers on the more this principal seems like a clown. He obviously has an allegiance to Florida. Their logo was on the schools site. Kiffin apologized but this wasn't good enough. He wants him to apologize in person to the school and community. He knows that probably will not happen and I believe he is just using that as an excuse to keep UT coaches out of the school. He can deny it if he wants, but I bet every time a Div-1 prospect from Pahokee goes anywhere besides UF, he cringes.

I just think its funny that kitten could have been the bigger man here and just apologized to pahokee and the community when requested. whether its true or not, despite when it was said, etc. it was still an a-hole comment and he still CHOSE not to end it easily by just apologizing. who would that have hurt? oh, but kitten needs to proves he's a big bad tough guy. grow up. just apologize. but ofcourse, he needs to prove he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him. the true sign of an insecure 8 yr old.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

he did apologize bottom-feeder.

The more this story lingers on the more this principal seems like a clown. He obviously has an allegiance to Florida. Their logo was on the schools site. Kiffin apologized but this wasn't good enough. He wants him to apologize in person to the school and community. He knows that probably will not happen and I believe he is just using that as an excuse to keep UT coaches out of the school. He can deny it if he wants, but I bet every time a Div-1 prospect from Pahokee goes anywhere besides UF, he cringes.

Again, high school coaches have allegiances and preferences. I am sure UT has a couple of go-to guys of their own. So what?

Does that justify making fun of poor people who have zero to do with this?

Face it, Kiffin went after them because they can't fight back and he was just trying to be dismissive of the lack of cooperation from the head coach at Pahokee.

Three points here:
Number One: It's not about Lane Kiffin, it's about the person in the position of Tennessee head football coach

Number Two: The comment was made in a public forum, so for the apology to carry any weight, it needs to be made in a public forum as well

Number Three: Poverty is nothing to thumb your nose at. What we have, as individuals, and as a society, should not be taken for granted.

I realize not everyone is sensitive to other people, and I know that winning football games is a top priority for many people.

But this is Tennessee football, and this is a place where it is a part of our society. Whoever holds the position of head football coach at Tennessee should realize that, and not just pay lip service to it.

That's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own.

BTW, I am on twitter now, for those on it who are interested: @mgrif32

Two things for you Griff.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
1. How about the apology from you to the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State>. You insulted the entire state and if you don’t then you sir are a hypocrite (or that is how it came across and you know it's important how things come across).<o:p></o:p>
2. Do you really think he was thumbing his nose at the poor in <st1:State><st1:place>Florida</st1:place></st1:State>? Really? <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Three points here:

But it is OK for a journalist who could be perceived as a face/voice of UT athletics to take a swipe at the population of a state; or does the rule only for Minnesota?

Again, high school coaches have allegiances and preferences. I am sure UT has a couple of go-to guys of their own. So what?

Does that justify making fun of poor people who have zero to do with this?

Face it, Kiffin went after them because they can't fight back and he was just trying to be dismissive of the lack of cooperation from the head coach at Pahokee.

Surely you are not dumb enough to think he was making fun of anyone. He was setting the scene/environement he was recruiting and explaining tot he crowd how tough it is to recruit there. And this guy was the principle not the coach.

Griff, I enjoy most of your stuff and I recognize that you write as a profession unlike 99.9% of us here on this message board - so I respect you mingling with the mob...

+1. I respect that you post this stuff openly and don't mind standing up to the criticism. I still, however, think ESPN needs to apologize for their piece depicting the poverty in Pahokee.

Anyways, let's go get some more guys from there and quit all the finger-pointing!

VN Store

Back