Kiffin crossed the line on this one

meyer and the people of florida are sure acting like kiffen scares the crap out of them.

if he's realy an idiot and is going to run tenn into the ground why not let him hang with his own rope?

You'd think, with all the time you've spent here droski, that you'd be able to get the spelling right.

HOLY CRAP! Look at the article Griff calls everyone from Minnesota as being ignorant, rude and eliteist. Someone tell Griff to issue an apology to the people of Minnesota.

yet the principal of the school wants to limit the opportunities for the young men and women to better themselves and help their community down the road. All because he feels insulted? The young men being hurt by this should force him to apologize to them too

Because if a student is getting an offer from ut, he probably isn't getting an offer from any other school in the country.

Because if a student is getting an offer from ut, he probably isn't getting an offer from any other school in the country.

doesn't matter as he's still limiting their options. Completely depends what the kid wants to do after football is over

Thats... the best you got? You're really pulling the A+ material out for this one.

Pahokee principal removes Gators logo from Web site

Article just posted by Griff's peer. Do you think there are some preconceived notions at play down in Pahokee? Now that I read this article, you really sound like a little female dog.

I wonder if Pahokee High and its administration (principle) get kick backs or some sort of "donations" for sending players to Gainesville.

what if kiffen is right about this HS? should he still apologize? this principle seems to want his 20 seconds of fame.

Good point, and he could very well be right in what he said about the school. What he said about the community wasn't really necessary, but as far as the school, he might be spot on. The principal has since moved the gator logo from their site for a reason.

Pahokee principal removes Gators logo from Web site : Football Recruiting : GoVolsXtra.com

Seems to me that Kiffin was just making a matter-of-fact statement about the way life is in some areas of South Florida. He probably could have conveyed his story without this sentence, but he was just building a little background. I don't think that he really meant for any part of that donor breakfast to be public record.

With that being said, didn't ESPN once run an entire feature story on the Pahokee area and how poor the people in the area are and how there isn't much going on so the young athletes improve their speed by chasing rabbits?? Where was the outrage then?

Good point, and he could very well be right in what he said about the school. What he said about the community wasn't really necessary, but as far as the school, he might be spot on. The principal has since moved the gator logo from their site for a reason.

Pahokee principal removes Gators logo from Web site : Football Recruiting : GoVolsXtra.com

finally a nice job by the KNS.

Kiffin has since apologized but the school has requested more from the first-year UT coach, including an in-person apology at an open meeting with school administrators and community leaders.

where does it end?

A lot of the "Kiffin needs to realize that the head football coach at UT is a representative of the whole state" stuff in this article sounds exactly like the sanctimonious crap we were making fun of Kentucky officials for spewing about why Billy Gillispie needed to be fired. Anybody who thinks that a football or basketball coach is somehow automatically an ambassador for a whole state takes sports far, far too seriously.

Were Kiffin's original comments about Pahokee dumb? Sure. (The comments about the community, that is; the comments about how school officials were likely to sabotage Tennessee's chances with their kids look pretty prescient in retrospect.) But he made them at what was supposed to be a private function, and he apologized for them. Months ago.

It's funny that this Journo is upset about him saying these things, but then he says "Sadly, the Tennessee head coach is right about that area's overall economics."

In what context was Kiffin saying this? Was he mocking them?

If you asked Kiffin that right now, I am certain he would say that he didn't mean to mock the residents of the poor rural areas of South Florida. But it came across that way, it is inevitable that it would, and THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Kiffin does not think about how his comments are going to sound or be portrayed. That is the problem.

I don't know... I think that both CLK and the Pahokee principal are in the wrong here. The first time that I watched the recruiting breakfast video, I thought that CLK would catch a lot more crap about the Pahokee comments than the Urban's a cheater stuff. I was honestly shocked that he was publicly dogging a recruiting hotbed like that. But of course, the principal should certainly not ban anyone from his school who is attempting to give his students college scholarships.

I'm still amazed this statement is getting so much press considering it happened in February. I agree that he could have probably kept his mouth shut, but this article from AJC tells of the adverse effects of banning coaches:

Spurrier, Kiffin rock different boats in same sea | AJC College Sports Recruiting

And looking at this principal's website, I personally like his quote:

My goal for Pahokee Middle Senior High School is for our school to become an "A" school as well as make annual yearly progress. I would also like for every student to graduate and go to college.

...just not the ones I don't want them to go.

http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/pahokeemiddlesrhigh/finial/alejo.html

Last edited:
Griff, I enjoy most of your stuff and I recognize that you write as a profession unlike 99.9% of us here on this message board - so I respect you mingling with the mob... but I think that you're off on this article.

Kiffin already apologized for his comments. Any further apologies would be pandering to the principal of the Pahokee high school... which is completely unnecessary, particularly given that principal's purported alleg<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->iances. And remember, Kiffin's comments were not intended for national media consumption. To that end he has something to learn, yes... he is always on stage now. But this is obviously coming back to the forefront because a member of our staff was recently unwelcome at Pahokee. The real issue here is a school official tampering with its student's right to receive a higher education.

If you asked Kiffin that right now, I am certain he would say that he didn't mean to mock the residents of the poor rural areas of South Florida. But it came across that way, it is inevitable that it would, and THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

Kiffin does not think about how his comments are going to sound or be portrayed. That is the problem.

Shane Matthews.

VN Store

Back