Freddie chief resigns.

gsvol

Government-run mortgage giant Freddie Mac, whose politically caused losses helped trigger today's financial depression, was ordered this week to oversee a vast new mortgage modification program and work with the same questionable borrowers whose defaults crashed the economy.

Furthermore, federal control over Freddie and Fannie Mae will continue until the entities can repay the $200 billion lent to them. This is estimated to take approximately 100 years, or never, whichever comes later.

Chafing under such intrusive restrictions, Freddie Mac CEO David Moffett is resigning after only six months on the job. Low pay, second-guessing, and Obama administration officials intent on making politically motivated loans were apparently contributing factors.

As for the banking industry as a whole, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) is quickly running out of money because of all the banks it has helped.

Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT), the Senate Banking Committee Chairman who is largely responsible for the mess, is now offering up to $500 billion in temporary loans from the Treasury Department for the FDIC.

AIG bailout, take four

The central government's never-ending bailout debacle of AIG reminds us of Ronald Reagan's apt comparison of big government to a baby's alimentary canal -- both having an insatiable appetite for taxpayer funds at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.

After three "bailouts" for AIG since September totaling nearly $180 billion in squandered taxpayer funding, all the taxpayers have to show for their purchase is a company locked in a death spiral.

So, naturally, the Federal Reserve is throwing more money at the problem. Now that the government owns 78 percent of AIG, there is no end in sight for the ever-declining insurer.

On Monday, AIG reported a $61.7 billion fourth-quarter loss, all of which was incurred under the new federalized stewardship.

Left unexplained in this unprecedented federal takeover is a meaningful financial justification for the bailout scheme.

As a heavily state-regulated insurer, the company maintained adequate financial reserves for claims, while state guarantee funds exist to resolve any losses arising from inadequate reserves.

Instead, the public is given vague explanations suggesting it was necessary, that neither the government nor AIG need explain where the public's money went, and that the company's board of directors has not approved any of the government's interventions.

and there are people who think the government can run the healthcare system.

why do you think that BHO is haveing such a hard time filling all his "support" positions.....no one wants to go down with them

why do you think that BHO is haveing such a hard time filling all his "support" positions.....no one wants to go down with them

ObamaPlane.jpg

People overestimated him and he woefully underdelivers-time and time again.

No wonder he picked Geithner, the fed yes man.

"Cloward-Piven Strategy,"

Obama%20puppet.gif

Government-run mortgage giant Freddie Mac, whose politically caused losses helped trigger today's financial depression, was ordered this week to oversee a vast new mortgage modification program and work with the same questionable borrowers whose defaults crashed the economy.

Furthermore, federal control over Freddie and Fannie Mae will continue until the entities can repay the $200 billion lent to them. This is estimated to take approximately 100 years, or never, whichever comes later.

Chafing under such intrusive restrictions, Freddie Mac CEO David Moffett is resigning after only six months on the job. Low pay, second-guessing, and Obama administration officials intent on making politically motivated loans were apparently contributing factors.

As for the banking industry as a whole, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) is quickly running out of money because of all the banks it has helped.

Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT), the Senate Banking Committee Chairman who is largely responsible for the mess, is now offering up to $500 billion in temporary loans from the Treasury Department for the FDIC.

AIG bailout, take four

The central government's never-ending bailout debacle of AIG reminds us of Ronald Reagan's apt comparison of big government to a baby's alimentary canal -- both having an insatiable appetite for taxpayer funds at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.

After three "bailouts" for AIG since September totaling nearly $180 billion in squandered taxpayer funding, all the taxpayers have to show for their purchase is a company locked in a death spiral.

So, naturally, the Federal Reserve is throwing more money at the problem. Now that the government owns 78 percent of AIG, there is no end in sight for the ever-declining insurer.

On Monday, AIG reported a $61.7 billion fourth-quarter loss, all of which was incurred under the new federalized stewardship.

Left unexplained in this unprecedented federal takeover is a meaningful financial justification for the bailout scheme.

As a heavily state-regulated insurer, the company maintained adequate financial reserves for claims, while state guarantee funds exist to resolve any losses arising from inadequate reserves.

Instead, the public is given vague explanations suggesting it was necessary, that neither the government nor AIG need explain where the public's money went, and that the company's board of directors has not approved any of the government's interventions.

Misleading article and oversimplification to support views. Who wrote this?

To point out some high level details that are being used to mislead:

1) The $200B is the life line set up once the GSE's became a conservatorship. To date, Freddie has used $13.5B of this money and Fannie has used $0. Compare that too the TARP money given to Citi, BOA, etc.

2) The quote about defaulting mortgages causing the crisis implies that it's the GSE securitized loans that have a high default rate. Completely wrong, the private label securities (PLS) are extraordinarily worse performing. Only in roughly 2006 did the GSE enter the Alt-A arena --- that's literally moments before collapse and certainly not the reason.

I'm firmly convinced that the GSE's are the scapegoat for this financial debacle in many people's eyes. That's not to say they didn't have serious problems (the fact they were allowed to buy PLS is beyond me), but in no way are they the reason nor did they underwrite even clsoe to the worst loans -- that was entirely the private market.

To point out some high level details that are being used to mislead:

1) The $200B is the life line set up once the GSE's became a conservatorship. To date, Freddie has used $13.5B of this money and Fannie has used $0. Compare that too the TARP money given to Citi, BOA, etc.

2) The quote about defaulting mortgages causing the crisis implies that it's the GSE securitized loans that have a high default rate. Completely wrong, the private label securities (PLS) are extraordinarily worse performing. Only in roughly 2006 did the GSE enter the Alt-A arena --- that's literally moments before collapse and certainly not the reason.

I'm firmly convinced that the GSE's are the scapegoat for this financial debacle in many people's eyes. That's not to say they didn't have serious problems (the fact they were allowed to buy PLS is beyond me), but in no way are they the reason nor did they underwrite even clsoe to the worst loans -- that was entirely the private market.

Thirty years of bad loans has to show up somewhere.

the Community Reinvestment Act has been forcing banks to make loans to folks who otherwise wouldn't qualify for 30 years.

I didn't know Freddie Mac went all the way back to the Roosevelt administration.

LBJ's "great society" enlarged the operation and then Jimmy Carter overloaded the system.

Recently groups like Acorn and La Raza have abused the programs for political purposes.

One of the worst examples was a La Raza promoted loan to an illegal alien of $800,000 and he only made $14,000 annually.

Acorn has used the worst sort of intimidation imaginable to coerce bankers into making bad loans.

The CRA was introduced during the Carter Administration, which is where I thought you got your 30 years from.

Community Reinvestment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, I was referring to the CRA.

I just mentioned though, that I only recently learned that Freddie Mac went all the way back to Roosevelt.

I had been wondering though when the government had first gotten into the loan business.

My only experience in dealing with the guvmint in that respect was when I bought my first home and wasted a lot of time checking out the GI Bill.

If I used the GI Bill garauntee for my loan, I had to pay 4% more, I didn't need that kind of help.

the Community Reinvestment Act has been forcing banks to make loans to folks who otherwise wouldn't qualify for 30 years.

I thought VBB might pick up on that, here is some further scrutiny on how the Democrats trashed the American economy that led us to our present 'crisis.'

EXCERPTS:

On November 12, 1999, President Clinton repealed the Glass-Steagall Act, which for 55 years had prevented banks, the nation's lenders, to get into the so-called "investment banking" business (stock brokers).

Also in 1999, Clinton appointed Franklin Delano Raines, a Harvard Law School graduate and his Director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB), to become the CEO of the obscure but powerful Fannie Mae giant GSE (Government Sponsored Enterprise), which had been "privatized" and listed on the New York Stock Exchange.

Mr. Raines immediately went to work lobbying Congress for less regulation and more "flexibility" in creating the massive dodgy-loan portfolio of under-qualified home loans to fellow minorities which would continue to grow and was encouraged by Barney Frank, another former Democrat & Harvard Law School graduate who now heads up the House Financial Services Committee -- which has key oversight over both Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac.

On December 21, 2004, Raines accepted what he described as "early retirement" from his position as Fannie Mae's CEO while U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigators continued to investigate alleged accounting irregularities.

Then, in 2006, the OFHEO filed suit against Raines in order to recover the $50 million in personal payments made to Raines based on Fannie Mae's overstated earnings which were initially stated to be $9 billion but have since been reduced to under $6.3 billion.

Undeterred, Mr. Raines now works for another Harvard Law School graduate, Mr. Barack Obama's presidential election campaign -- as an advisor on mortgage and housing policy matters.

By the end of the '90s, no less than nine separate, independent, and uncoordinated Federal Regulators had been created by Congress. These agencies included the SEC, CRTC, Controller of the Currency, Treasury, FRB and OFHEO, among others.

They would poorly supervise what Clinton had now given birth to: a jungle of speculators, favor-seeking financial lobbyists, and Democrat-dominated Wall Street organizations who duly poured millions of dollars of contributions into Democrat coffers for the Congressional and Presidential elections.

In 1998, Senator Chuck Schumer of New York was elected. He now serves on both the Finance, and the Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs Committees, and is the Chairman of the powerful Housing, Transportation and Community Development Sub-committee. He also graduated from Harvard Law School.

After the sub-prime mortgage industry began its meltdown in March 2007, Schumer proposed a bailout by the Federal Government of sub-prime borrowers -- ostensively to prevent these poor-credit owners from losing their homes. Financial commentators immediately observed that such a "bailout" would primarily benefit Wall Street bankers and other lenders -- who had made large campaign contributions to congressmen. (Schumer's
nine biggest campaign donors are financial institutions -- who had contributed over $2.5 million to his re-election campaign.)

As the recent Indy-Bank collapse occurred, CNBC financial analyst Jerry Bowyer said that "Schumer was responsible for the second largest bank failure in US history."

So the pattern becomes clear. Harvard Law School attorneys -- noted for their lack of economic knowledge -- create an easy-money system which relies on flakey loans provided by fat-cat financial manipulators who are the primary contributors to the re-election campaigns of the legislators -- almost exclusively Democrats.

Now everyone should know why Wall Street donated $7 to the Obama campaign for every dollar it donated to the McCain campaign.

I think even a young liberal could understand this, given these facts.

President Barack Obama has named a former Freddie Mac executive to head the federal housing commission.

nw678.jpg

The White House on Monday named David Stevens as assistant secretary at the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The position requires Senate confirmation and would put Stevens in charge of the government's housing mortgage-insurance program.

At Freddie Mac, Stevens was a senior vice president in charge of affordable lending, sales and marketing.

I thought VBB might pick up on that, here is some further scrutiny on how the Democrats trashed the American economy that led us to our present 'crisis.'

EXCERPTS:

Now everyone should know why Wall Street donated $7 to the Obama campaign for every dollar it donated to the McCain campaign.

I think even a young liberal could understand this, given these facts.

Blaming the CRA is just partisan speak. As pointed out earlier the CRA was created during the Carter Administration -- and yet it just now collapsed the housing market? It took 30 years to make it's run up? the data simply doesn't back your claim. The CRA loans defaulted as a result of the housing boom and bust -- they were not the source -- and not even close. You are leveraging a weak program to try and make some generalization about the Democratic party.

Reps use data like the default rate on CRA loans as proof that these loans were the cause. Well, A paper loans are defaulting now at an all-time high rate -- does this mean these loans were the cause as well?

The fact of the matter is this whole thing is about leverage -- and that ability to lever to a disgustingly high degree was largely the result of the Graham, Leach, Bliley Act. Banks levered up on debt that had zero due diligence at every level of the process -- the lack of oversight was embarrassing. Blame whoever you want because both parties have a large hand in it.

I take the view of devil's advocate on this board because it leans right and many (not all) of the points used are nothing more than partisan hackery. Stop looking for data that make the Dems look bad and start looking at the data for what it really is. You might be surprised to find that most issues in this country are a nice mixture of collusion in both parties -- regardless of political affiliation.

Blaming the CRA is just partisan speak. As pointed out earlier the CRA was created during the Carter Administration -- and yet it just now collapsed the housing market? It took 30 years to make it's run up? the data simply doesn't back your claim. The CRA loans defaulted as a result of the housing boom and bust -- they were not the source -- and not even close. You are leveraging a weak program to try and make some generalization about the Democratic party.

Reps use data like the default rate on CRA loans as proof that these loans were the cause. Well, A paper loans are defaulting now at an all-time high rate -- does this mean these loans were the cause as well?

The fact of the matter is this whole thing is about leverage -- and that ability to lever to a disgustingly high degree was largely the result of the Graham, Leach, Bliley Act. Banks levered up on debt that had zero due diligence at every level of the process -- the lack of oversight was embarrassing. Blame whoever you want because both parties have a large hand in it.

I take the view of devil's advocate on this board because it leans right and many (not all) of the points used are nothing more than partisan hackery. Stop looking for data that make the Dems look bad and start looking at the data for what it really is. You might be surprised to find that most issues in this country are a nice mixture of collusion in both parties -- regardless of political affiliation.

You can believe what you said all you want but forcing lending institutions to make bad loans and Clinton putting teeth into the Carter CRA program, meant that
there would eventually be a meltdown.

Furthermore, discounting CRA and everything else, by 2050, SS, Medicare and Medicade will reach 100% of GNP, what will happen then?

We need some explanations now for what the devil advocates.

You can believe what you said all you want but forcing lending institutions to make bad loans and Clinton putting teeth into the Carter CRA program, meant that
there would eventually be a meltdown.

Furthermore, discounting CRA and everything else, by 2050, SS, Medicare and Medicade will reach 100% of GNP, what will happen then?

We need some explanations now for what the devil advocates.

Do some research on credit default swaps and derivatives and then try and tell me this is a Fannie/Freddie thing. Considering the number of articles you post in this forum (which I assume you read) I assume you have the time to do some more research.

I know it will be hard for you to admit this isn't a Democrat creation (nor is it a Republican one).

Do some research on credit default swaps and derivatives and then try and tell me this is a Fannie/Freddie thing. Considering the number of articles you post in this forum (which I assume you read) I assume you have the time to do some more research.

I know it will be hard for you to admit this isn't a Democrat creation (nor is it a Republican one).

This is a collision of credit default swaps and housing prices moving too far away from historical price to income levels, based upon very cheap money.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

The fact of the matter is this whole thing is about leverage -- and that ability to lever to a disgustingly high degree was largely the result of the Graham, Leach, Bliley Act. Banks levered up on debt that had zero due diligence at every level of the process -- the lack of oversight was embarrassing.

:clap:

VN Store

Back