'10 CA QB Nick Montana

Is he going to denounce his Mormon faith? If not, he is going on a mission.

You don't have to denounce your faith. He doesn't have to go on a trip if it could interfere with his dream to get to the NFL. He can also take a trip later in life I believe. But he does not have to denounce his faith. He has said himself that he is leaning toward not taking a trip while in school.

Just because you don't take a trip doesn't mean you are denouncing your faith. Many Mormons don't take their mission. In truth only very devout Mormons usually do.

Hey guys, new poster, what do you think our chances are that we get either Heaps or Sims or a top tier QB like that?

Thanks, i really hope we get a top one and my favorite is Blake Bell but i'd be mighty fine with Heaps. I hope we get him :).

My cousin goes to school with Blake Bell, says he is a very clean cut kid who really dedicates his life to play football. (i.e. No Drinking or Partying, Weight Room Consistently, Hard Worker in the classroom etc.). I'd love to have a kid like that come to UT and be successful under Kiffin and continue that form of player as a trend here. (Think Tebow).

I'm tired of the Britton Colquitts, and Lamarcus Cokers we have had in our program in past years.

I'm sure Montana is the same way though, wouldn't mind having him on roster whether or not we get Heaps, Bell, or Sims.

I communicated with Nick Montana today and he is still really interested in UT. He is a good kid and wants to make his commitment soon so he can. He wants to focus on his senior year without any distractions. I say we should offer him a scholly to start next years class with huge momentum. I live in Ooltewah TN where our 1st commitment, 5* LB Jaques Smith , is from and he is a beast!

Sarcasm...wow I've never figured that one out. The problems is the same sarcastic a..holes that are on this site being jerks are the ones who boo at our games against Florida and Bama aiding to the cause of us losing top recruits. That behavior is classless and not a true fan! I'm pretty confident in saying that they were probably on the fire Phil bandwagon only to change their tune when it actually happened.

The problems is the same sarcastic a..holes that are on this site being jerks are the ones who boo at our games against Florida and Bama aiding to the cause of us losing top recruits. That behavior is classless and not a true fan! I'm pretty confident in saying that they were probably on the fire Phil bandwagon only to change their tune when it actually happened.

Even if relating sarcasm to booing at games made sense, I don't understand how it relates to this thread. I'd say fans stalking recruits on Facebook is a lot more likely to turn them off

Montana and Blake Bell are both listed as dual threat QB's. They can obviously throw the ball pretty well, but you have to wonder if this will prevent UT from offering. I see both these guys as being very similar to Tajh Boyd. Same goes for Barry Brunetti.

Montana and Blake Bell are both listed as dual threat QB's. They can obviously throw the ball pretty well, but you have to wonder if this will prevent UT from offering. I see both these guys as being very similar to Tajh Boyd. Same goes for Barry Brunetti.

Montana, Bell, Brunetti, and Boyd are not all the same QB. They all have different abilities. Plus none of the first three are having serious knee surgery that I know of, as Boyd is. That is the main reason (IMHO) that Boyd is not in orange.

Then let me relate the two for you Orange Swarm! I reconfirmed the status of Nick Montana based on my personal communication with him. In return I get a sarcastic remark. Then, I said the same people making these remarks are more than likely the same a..holes that are CONSTANTLY NEGATIVE about UT football... such as booing during games and jumping on the fire Phil Fulmer bandwagon. I am a proud to be a Tennesse Vol and seaon ticket holder, but I am surely not one of those "Negative Nancies" that I just mentioned!

Montana, Bell, Brunetti, and Boyd are not all the same QB. They all have different abilities. Plus none of the first three are having serious knee surgery that I know of, as Boyd is. That is the main reason (IMHO) that Boyd is not in orange.

Not true, He is in Orange...Clemson Orange :p

Top 2010 quarterback Nick Montana still "wide open"
ESPNU 150 Watch List signal-caller Nick Montana spoke to affiliate Web site CrimsonConfidential.com about his recruitment.

"I'm still wide open," said Montana, who threw for 2,402 yards and 33 touchdowns as a junior. "I don't want to start narrowing things down until I see all my options. It's tough to say (which schools stand out), I'm still trying to figure it all out."

Montana's impressive offers list won't make narrowing the field any easier. He's visited Ohio State and Texas and is also looking at other schools including Stanford, LSU, Alabama, Florida State and Arizona.

Despite all the options, Montana hopes to make his decision soon, "I'd like to get it done as soon as possible. Whenever I feel I find the perfect fit I won't hesitate to commit. I'd like to for sure by the beginning of summer or spring ball."

new ESPN article from Greg Biggins---

I've highlighted the parts that I thought warranted the most attention.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3946682

Nick Montana has definitely come a long way in a short time. Just a few years ago, he was languishing at national powerhouse De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) in an offense that didn't fit him. Now the Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, Calif.) rising senior is one of the most heavily recruited quarterbacks in the nation.

Not bad for a kid who almost didn't play football.

When your last name is Montana and your dad is Joe Montana, the NFL Hall of Famer and arguably the greatest quarterback ever to play the game, there is always going to be a lot of pressure. And when you play the same position? Well, it's usually not a recipe for success.

"I think that's one of the reasons, my parents, but especially my mom tried to steer me away from football when I was growing up," Montana said. "I played soccer and basketball and was never really pushed into football.

"When I was in third grade, I wanted to play but my mom wouldn't let me. She said it was too dangerous and she didn't want me to get hurt. But I think another reason was all the pressure that people would put on me to try and live up to what my dad did."

Montana was finally allowed to play football when he got into the fifth grade, but he started out on the defensive side of the ball.

"Linebacker was the first position I played," Montana said. "I actually liked defense but I eventually fell in love with the quarterback position and started playing there in the seventh and eighth grade."

Montana enrolled at legendary powerhouse De La Salle, but spent just two years in the Spartans' program.

"I love the school and will always root for De La Salle," Montana said. "I learned so much there, especially about hard work and that's something I'll never forget. It was just a situation where my dream was to play college football and maybe even in the NFL someday and I didn't see that happening if I stayed at De La Salle.

"They run the triple option on offense and always have and that just wasn't a good fit for me. It was tough to say goodbye to all my friends but I knew I had to make a tough decision. At the time, my dad was doing some business in Southern California so I started looking around at high schools in the area and ended up at Oaks Christian and things have been going great so far."

That would be a huge understatement. In his first year, Montana led the Lions to a perfect 14-0 season, completing 133 of 241 passes for 2,404 yards and 33 touchdowns with just seven interceptions.

"He got better every game for us," Lions coach Bill Redell said. "He has the ability to make plays with his legs and his arm and is a lot more athletic than I ever thought. He's a great leader as well and is just a tremendous talent."

Montana has been working out with noted quarterbacks coach Steve Clarkson for years. Clarkson, who has worked with some of the top prospects over the past few years, including Matt Barkley, the No. 1 player in the 2009 ESPNU 150 who is already enrolled at USC, and Notre Dame's starting QB Jimmy Clausen, who was the top quarterback in the 2007 class.

"He's really a special kid and different than anyone I've worked with," Clarkson said. "Matt Barkley was just a physical specimen and can throw the ball down your throat. Jimmy Clausen had a swagger to him and a flair for the dramatic.

"Nick has all the physical tools but is very cerebral as well. He's a lot like his dad but bigger and has a calming effect on everyone around him. As good as he is now, he's still just learning and maturing physically. As a result, I really think his upside is off the charts. He has the perfect temperament for the position and will be a great college player."

Recruiters have noticed just that. Montana has seen his stock soar in recent months and holds scholarship offers from heavyweight programs like Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, LSU and Notre Dame just to name a few.

"I'm still very open right now and have a lot more visits to take," Montana said. "I want to check out Alabama, Arizona, Georgia and Florida State but haven't set dates with them yet. My main focus these next two weeks is on the SAT but once I knock that out, I'll be hitting the road.

"I'm also interested in USC and Tennessee, those are two schools that haven't offered but are showing a lot of interest and I already visited Ohio State and loved it there. I'm just trying to find the best overall fit for me and don't really have a time frame of when I want to decide."

There's more to it than X's and O's for Montana. It has to be a good fit and that doesn't necessarily mean he has to be under center from the minute he steps on campus. He knows a thing or two about patience. His old man once was buried on the Notre Dame depth chart, wasn't drafted until the third round and didn't start in the NFL until midway through his second year. If it can happen to him, well, it can happen to anybody.

"I don't mind redshirting either but I am looking at depth charts a little. Obviously if you ask any quarterback, we always want to play, but that won't be the biggest factor to me, more like an added bonus if it works out that way," Montana said.

"I guess I'm kind of looking for that special feeling you get when you know the school is right for you. So on one of my upcoming visits, if the school feels right to me, I could commit on the spot or just keep looking around and wait to evaluate everyone."

quote from a new Rivals article---

"Distance from home is not a fact, and will not play any part in my decision, even though my mom would definitely like me to stay close to home."

headed to Bama and UGA this weekend. I would hate to see him sign with Bama. He seems to really like the mystique and the competition level in the SEC.

"I'm also interested in USC and Tennessee, those are two schools that haven't offered but are showing a lot of interest"

I like the sound of that. I wonder if he would jump if UT offered?

I don't think it would be a bad pick up and like the article said he may prove to have huge upside!

I really don't want to see him go to another SEC school.

Q. You QB coach in high school is former Tennessee QB Casey Clausen. What’s the latest with Tennessee? A. Tennessee hasn’t offered, but I’m still thinking about them. I haven’t really heard from them in a while. We send emails back and forth every once in a while, but I haven’t talked to them on the phone in more than a month. I couldn’t tell you what’s really going on. I don’t know. All I can say is that I’m really concentrating on schools that have offered me, like Georgia, Alabama and some others.

New article / interview on AJC.com.

QB Nick Montana talks about UGA, Alabama, Southern Cal and Tennessee | Inside College Recruiting: Michael Carvell

VN Store

Back