The Official 2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Tuesday's Matches

Colombia vs Japan 8 AM FS1
Poland vs Senegal 11 AM FOX
Russia vs Egypt 2 PM FOX

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Some observations:

Unpopular time to make this statement given they just beat the tourney favorite, but Mexico seems to me like a really overrated team historically. 123m people, a nation that is crazy about soccer, but the furthest they have been in a WC is the QF and both of those times they were the hosts. Sometimes (not this year, obviously) they aren't even the best team in CONCACAF. It seems like they should be a historical, national power team like a Germany, Italy, or France (bigger populations than all those counties with the same passion about the sport) but they are not. What gives? Maybe this is the year they go deeper than they ever have been. Doesn't it just seem like Mexico is a team that should have won a WC at some point, or at least made a semifinal/final? They also never seem to have any true superstars.

It is fascinating how a country of 3.5 million people (Uruguay)have 3 Star players in Suarez, Cavani, Godin, and a solid solid team around them. Yet Mexico of 100+ million people don’t have a player that measures in quality to any of those players.

Reactions: 2 people
Vamos 日本

頑張って!

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_074743_780.jpg
    IMG_20180619_074743_780.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
Colombian players are soft, always. They flop around all the time. Always. I hate it, and I hope they get slaughtered in this game.

Seriously. They did not deserve that free kick

Watch any South American tournament and the Colombians do this every time. It is terrible, and most of the reason I absolutely hate them.

Plus Colombians are among the most insufferable people of South America.

It is fascinating how a country of 3.5 million people (Uruguay)have 3 Star players in Suarez, Cavani, Godin, and a solid solid team around them. Yet Mexico of 100+ million people don’t have a player that measures in quality to any of those players.

Yep. I just don't see how that's possible. I could understand it if soccer wasn't popular in Mexico, or was kind of popular but not the #1 sport, but Mexico eats, sleeps, and breathes soccer just like the South American and European powerhouses do.

I looked into it yesterday to see what others are saying and came across a Reddit thread that said they have awful leadership at the top. Not a good excuse, IMO; a group with their resources should be able to fix that problem.

They also said LigaMX overpays to keep Mexico's best players in Mexico, so they don't play in Europe. That doesn't really seem to add up either - maybe Mexico's players just aren't all that good and big European clubs don't want them, or aren't willing to pay as much as Mexican squads. They basically never have an international superstar playing for their team - I guess Chicharito is the closest?

Just look at the club teams their WC roster plays for - they've got 2 EPL players (one plays for a team that just got promoted), a few on bad La Liga teams, a couple for a mediocre Bundesliga team, 2 on a good Portuguese team (Porto), and arguably their best player plays for a good Dutch team. 9 play in Mexico and 3 play in MLS. That just isn't impressive for a large nation that is crazy about soccer.

These announcers might be a little bit biased towards Colombia.

VN Store

Back