Gundy's AD: recruiting improvement needed

How does this change what I posted? Miles wasn’t an SEC level recruiter as Okie, went to the SEC, and magically brought in consistent top 3 SEC level classes.

It’s almost like every coach recruits better when he gets to a top school in the top conference in football. Crazy concept, I know.

He showed he was a better recruiter AT Oklahoma State...as did Jimmy Johnson and “magically” translated at their next jobs. :) Pat Jones was at best mediocre and Gundy played for him and like Pat?

MinorNeglectedGreathornedowl-max-1mb.gif

He showed he was a better recruiter AT Oklahoma State...as did Jimmy Johnson and “magically” translated at their next jobs. :) Pat Jones was at best mediocre and Gundy played for him and like Pat?

Just like those 2, Gundy would recruit better at his new job.

Miles wasn’t regarded as a great recruiter at Okie, at LSU he’s beating out Saban for top classes. Location and job matters.

Gundy would recruit at an SEC level here. Would have been a great hire.

Admit it. Would’ve been a home run hire...nationally hailed. Currie extended, Haslam ecstatic, majority of VN (cept Bruin) high fiving, he would be on most top 5 new hires lists...THEN like Chip Kelly and Dan Mullen, the most important requirement of a SEC HC manifests...:nono: I think he would have landed some surprises in the inaugural early signing period but in the long haul or even immediate next season, his ill fit would show imo.

I believe every word of this.

Well, except for the Chip Kelly part. I still would have loved to had hired him. But, so far I'm good with Pruitt.

He’s at an upper level Big 12 school with practically unlimited big money booster support. If he was a SEC level recruiter...it would’ve showed by now. He’s a Mullen with a mullet.

Not entirely accurate about the unlimited money. There is good money there, but having a single sugar daddy as opposed to few sugar daddies can hurt in the long run.

However...that stadium put them back a pretty penny. Along with the upgrades to the athletic facilities. I can't go into detail, but they are certainly not on an unlimited budget in Stillwater.

As for Gundy's recruiting, he tends to stick to Texas and Oklahoma for the most part. Which also tends to hurt him. He does make the most of the talent he brings in, which competing against OU for high level talent in OK isn't easy. And competing against the Texas schools, again, is a hard sell.

It's kind of like the Vols recruiting against Vandy. Sure, they pull in a decent recruit here and there, but overall, the majority of Tennessee kids tend to gravitate to the Vols first as an in state choice.

Yeah. Gundy would have been another in the series of not gonna cut it coaches. I think he would've been better than Butch and Dools combined but not good enough by far. Pruitt is that dude IMO.
had to quote this just so I'd remember to circle back around to it in 4 years when we make another run at Gundy after firing Pruitt.

Butch and Dooley were not at P5 schools prior to their hiring at UT. I would never expect Cincinnati not LA-Lafayette to crack the top 30. OK State on the other hand has had some modicum of success and should be able to at least flirt with the top 30 every year. JMO though.
I don't know. Assuming his ranking holds, Daxton Hill will be the first rivals 5* out of the state of Oklahoma since Gerald McCoy....in 2006. Plus, the Sooners will always be the flagship for the state. I think Gundy has maintained the perfect system for the quality of players that the can count on recruiting successfully and the competition he faces. When he runs into a certain quality of defensive strength, size, and speed, the system fails. I don't know how Gundy would've done here but apparently some people who know a lot more about football than I ever will think he'd be successful seeing as how we've made runs at him how many times now?

I believe every word of this.

Well, except for the Chip Kelly part. I still would have loved to had hired him. But, so far I'm good with Pruitt.

Kelly’s the same animal. Helluva mad scientist that gets the players he GETS to play their azz off for him after he coaches em up. We’re beginning to see in his recruiting class how important Scott Frost was in his early career on that Oregon staff. Belotti left him good working pieces and Frost/Helfrich got him even better versions. Gundy would be great in the PAC 12 also...vice versa for Kelly in the Big 12. Both get swamped in the SEC.

OK...imo.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't see it. Not being able to crack the top 30 in recruiting isn't going to win you many games in the SEC.

he doesn't crack the top 30 in the Big 12. SEC and UT would sell. someone here with his success would do a lot better than what he does at OK St.

I am fine with Pruitt just pointing out the Cowboys to Oranges comparison going on here.

had to quote this just so I'd remember to circle back around to it in 4 years when we make another run at Gundy after firing Pruitt.

Way to be positive HB. At least you could have let CJP LOSE his first game before looking to a replacement. Vol fans wonder why the rest of college football thinks we have a screw loose, example A is above.

When the program stablizes, all the way up to chancellor and stays that way a few years and wins start piling up, then I think we'll see national perception of the fanbase change along with the program. University upper management may have caused this decade long mess, and the fanbase does contribute, but IMO the fans take much of the blame that ought go to be laid at feet of the university leadership.

A rather dumb comment for his AD to make. I think Gundy has hit the ceiling of that program multiple times while there (2010 and 2011 in particular). I don't care how much money T. Boone has; that program is never going to be on a level playing field with Oklahoma or Texas. They are never going to out-recruit those schools. As Grand Vol said Okie St has a single sugar daddy. Oklahoma and especially Texas have dozens of them, and they have more established brands. Just as a point of comparison, their stadium seats "only" 57k, and just 10 years ago 45k.

If Gundy came to Tennessee, I think he would have recruited pretty well and have great offenses but he'd always be limited by a mediocre defense and inconsistency at the line of scrimmage. He'd have trouble stopping great offenses, and in the SEC you can't just score 50 on everybody to make up for it. Football generally speaking is becoming more like basketball on grass, but they really play that style in the Big 12, Gundy in particular, and I don't think it would translate all that well.

I agree we got the right coach, but what is Gundy supposed to say to that AD. It was a stupid comment. If he wanted a coach who would recruit based on a rivals ranking he should've hired butch instead of giving the mullet an extension.

HaHaha! You said “giving the mullet an extension”! 😂

VN Store

Back