Tennessee adds Bama grad transfer Brandon Kennedy

It is a cool field, there's a lot of areas where ChemE's are involved. My own career had a few twists and turns with jobs at both big and small companies mostly in chemicals & petrochemicals process engineering & production before I hooked up with BASF in 1987 where I worked in catalysts sales & tech service for more than 20 years. In 2010 when I turned 55 and became eligible for early retirement I stepped out on my own and have never looked back... have a look at my web site Catalyst Central - Delivering Catalytic Performance for a better idea what "we" do (and I use the plural though in truth my company is still essentially an "army of one"). We serve both industry and academia, with more than 100 universities on our customer list - they typically buy a few kg of catalyst and/or adsorbent at a time. Just got one more added to the list this week when Indiana University called wanting 50 kg of alumina beads (presumably for solvent drying) so I enlisted the wife to come out here yesterday and fill five pails with 10 kg each and drop off at FedEx. That's a typical day in my life nowadays, not a bad way to go, eh?

EDIT: Freak - are we allowed to mention/link our web site in here? or am I in line for a hand-slapping for that?

That's awesome, Dave. And nice website!

Oh, retired now. And long enough ago to start feeling nostalgic about it. :good!:

Lebanon TN is a nice locale for being retired IMO. Last time I was in Tennessee, about 8 months ago on a road trip, I took the scenic route and drove right through there.

Lebanon TN is a nice locale for being retired IMO. Last time I was in Tennessee, about 8 months ago on a road trip, I took the scenic route and drove right through there.

Yeah, I really love this area, Dave.

I'm from Tullahoma, grew up there, so I love the small-town life. And we have four different kinds of small-town right around our house.

Lebanon is a farm community, with good, down-to-earth country folk.

Gallatin is a working-man's town, gritty and calloused. Folks there have earned their beer with dinner.

Hendersonville is like a big country club on the lake, town of lawyers and professionals commuting into Nashville.

And Mt Juliet is trendy, in vogue, a little quirky.

All within 10 miles of our front door. Absolutely love this part of the state.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to have everything Nashville offers within about a half hour.

Reactions: 2 people

I'm from Tullahoma, grew up there, so I love the small-town life. And we have four different kinds of small-town right around our house.

Gallatin is a working-man's town, gritty and calloused. Folks there have earned their beer with dinner.

Hendersonville is like a big country club on the lake, town of lawyers and professionals commuting into Nashville.

Plus, it doesn't hurt to have everything Nashville offers within about a half hour.

Sounds like a good place to be, whether retired or not. I grew up in Knoxville and would love to move back to East TN and preferably to a rural or small-town setting within an hour of Knoxville or Nashville. But our roots in Texas are pretty deep now, and my better half (she is from Russia) has other ideas. What can one do?

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like a good place to be, whether retired or not. I grew up in Knoxville and would love to move back to East TN and preferably to a rural or small-town setting within an hour of Knoxville or Nashville. But our roots in Texas are pretty deep now, and my better half (she is from Russia) has other ideas. What can one do?

Happy wife, happy life. :good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Let the booms begin.

giphy.gif

I live in South Louisiana and would move back to East Tennessee in a heartbeat ... but daughter and grandbaby are in Texas, and that's where my wife would have us go, if and when we leave here. :eek:hmy:

That’s a perfect description of sumner and Wilson county. I grew up just south of Lebanon and the Wilson county line in Walter hill

From Tullahoma/Winchester myself. Don't forget three great lakes -Normany, Woods Reservoir, and the great Tims Ford lake for fishing, plus the Elk and Duck rivers for trout fishing. Man, what am I doing here in NC???

Reactions: 3 people
It is a cool field, there's a lot of areas where ChemE's are involved. My own career had a few twists and turns with jobs at both big and small companies mostly in chemicals & petrochemicals process engineering & production before I hooked up with BASF in 1987 where I worked in catalysts sales & tech service for more than 20 years. In 2010 when I turned 55 and became eligible for early retirement I stepped out on my own and have never looked back... have a look at my web site Catalyst Central - Delivering Catalytic Performance for a better idea what "we" do (and I use the plural though in truth my company is still essentially an "army of one"). We serve both industry and academia, with more than 100 universities on our customer list - they typically buy a few kg of catalyst and/or adsorbent at a time. Just got one more added to the list this week when Indiana University called wanting 50 kg of alumina beads (presumably for solvent drying) so I enlisted the wife to come out here yesterday and fill five pails with 10 kg each and drop off at FedEx. That's a typical day in my life nowadays, not a bad way to go, eh?

EDIT: Freak - are we allowed to mention/link our web site in here? or am I in line for a hand-slapping for that?

That's cool. I know Lisega out of Sevierville TN opened an office in Houston not long ago. Trying to gain more of the petrochemical market I believe. Have a friend that works there designing supports that allow for expansion.
With Coal dying and Nuclear on the decline, petrochem and anything cryogenic friendly, seem to be the best current markets. I believe BASF was their supplier for cryogenic. P.U.F.

That's cool. I know Lisega out of Sevierville TN opened an office in Houston not long ago. Trying to gain more of the petrochemical market I believe. Have a friend that works there designing supports that allow for expansion.
With Coal dying and Nuclear on the decline, petrochem and anything cryogenic friendly, seem to be the best current markets. I believe BASF was their supplier for cryogenic. P.U.F.

You bring back memories of Sunday drives to Sevierville as a kid. We had moved to Knoxville when I was 6 and in Sevierville there was a tourist trap with a black bear that would guzzle a chocolate drink from the bottle... keep in mind this was the early 60s and there wasn't much of anything between Sevierville and Gatlinburg. Back to the present, I am not familiar with Lisega but the boom in natural gas and LNG has certainly been good for the engineering business and the Houston area. My own "field" outside the niche in academia is basically focused on gas purification including nitrogen, argon, hydrogen, helium etc. and assisting projects for cleaning up "renewable" methane i.e. from landfills to where it can go into a NG pipeline.

From Tullahoma/Winchester myself. Don't forget three great lakes -Normany, Woods Reservoir, and the great Tims Ford lake for fishing, plus the Elk and Duck rivers for trout fishing. Man, what am I doing here in NC???

I hear ya Tarheel... along those lines, WTH am I doing in Texas?

Yeah, super nice down there. And that part of Tennessee has its own quadrangle kind of thing going on.

Manchester is a farm town, a lot like Lebanon. Their high school we typically called "Hamburger U" because so many graduates go on to careers at fine fast food drive-through windows. :)

Tullahoma is the wind tunnel town, all high-tech and super-secret with the Air Force research facility. And great Wildcats football teams, as you mentioned earlier.

Shelbyville is land of the beady-eyed people, kind of a spooky town, not far from Chapel Hill (TN) and its ghost light on the railroad, along with Eagleville and its ghost police cruiser. And the witch that supposedly lived in Normandy when we were teenagers.

Winchester and Estill Springs are kind of the lake towns; lot of great hunting and fishing around there.

And as a mini-extra, Lynchburg is, of course, Jack Daniels. And a dry county, heh. Paradox.

Another awesome part of the state. :hi:

Yeah, super nice down there. And that part of Tennessee has its own quadrangle kind of thing going on.

Manchester is a farm town, a lot like Lebanon. Their high school we typically called "Hamburger U" because so many graduates go on to careers at fine fast food drive-through windows. :)

Tullahoma is the wind tunnel town, all high-tech and super-secret with the Air Force research facility. And great Wildcats football teams, as you mentioned earlier.

Shelbyville is land of the beady-eyed people, kind of a spooky town, not far from Chapel Hill (TN) and its ghost light on the railroad, along with Eagleville and its ghost police cruiser. And the witch that supposedly lived in Normandy when we were teenagers.

Winchester and Estill Springs are kind of the lake towns; lot of great hunting and fishing around there.

And as a mini-extra, Lynchburg is, of course, Jack Daniels. And a dry county, heh. Paradox.

Another awesome part of the state. :hi:

I’m from the same area, born and raised in Manchester, but live in Tullahoma. The people in Tullahoma are no better than the people in Manchester, that’s a fact. Tullahoma just happens to be centrally located in this part of southern middle Tennessee, doesn’t make them better by any means. Manchester is still the county seat of Coffee County, king of the roost.

I’m from the same area, born and raised in Manchester, but live in Tullahoma. The people in Tullahoma are no better than the people in Manchester, that’s a fact. Tullahoma just happens to be centrally located in this part of southern middle Tennessee, doesn’t make them better by any means. Manchester is still the county seat of Coffee County, king of the roost.

Heh, no worries, man, only joke about Manchester because I love the place as a pop warner and high school team rival (don't remember competing against Manchester schools in junior high, for some reason).

And, you guys have Bonaroo! :)

Good grief checking each other's wang sizes over Tullahoma and Manchester? Really? Really? Really. <smdh>

VN Store

Back