What are reasonable expectations for 2018-19?

It is eerily like last year....No drama, no off-court theatrics, no open practices...total secrecy.

Doing the same thing over again, expecting different results...?

Last summer wasn’t that the summer of DD leaving, Te’a transferring, and the fight heard around the world (Knoxville)? LOL, I dunno seems like time is becoming jumbled. Also Alexa transferred? All these things seemed like long time ago but weren’t they recent? I seriously am foggy about timing and this is a clarification question becuz you said no drama or anything but it got me thinking that that stuff was Only a year ago (I think).

Does Coach Barnes do open practices?

Last summer wasn’t that the summer of DD leaving, Te’a transferring, and the fight heard around the world (Knoxville)? LOL, I dunno seems like time is becoming jumbled. Also Alexa transferred? All these things seemed like long time ago but weren’t they recent? I seriously am foggy about timing and this is a clarification question becuz you said no drama or anything but it got me thinking that that stuff was Only a year ago (I think).

Does Coach Barnes do open practices?

the altercation was in season and DD and Te's exit stifled more drama than it created...Alexa left a hole, but it gave Meme a chance to flourish and grow.

Most coaches have at least "some" opportunities in the off-season to view the teams...If Rick doesn't, he should. . . . I don't know about the men because I only watch men's BB when women's isn't available or during the "big dance"

With the departure of your post player and No big to fill the void, the offensive schemes will definitely change.
Davis will not be the go to player,
Perhaps the senior Jackson will emerge
Or probably a newer face from the freshmen squad. All is determined by the offense which doesn't have the luxury of having Russell size in the post. Hallelujah.
The sport is trending towards a more guard oriented style like GS Warriors.
A guard-led team won the natty last season.
There are good guards coming in this year but with the coaching deficiency who knows. Holly hasn't a clue based on what she has, and seems stuck on old traditional ways. Muffet doesn't either but injuries taught her better or the ball would have been going to her big girl. Watch Vic offense circling around his post , he has no other choice. But it will not gain him the natty.
If Davis is your go-to then you need a Catchings to go along with your Holdsclaw.The only exception is playing Davis at the two.
Believe it or not Holly has better players and option then she has ever had. But you have to show your efficiency as a versatile coach in the fashion of a Boston's Brad Steven and that's saying alot. Maybe?
Get the best out of your players and
have some sort of damn system.
No system and there's nothing the players can fight and believe in.
The days of throwing talent on the court without a purpose/plan and believing you will win it all is long past. Here's hoping for the best.

With the departure of your post player and No big to fill the void, the offensive schemes will definitely change.
Davis will not be the go to player,
Perhaps the senior Jackson will emerge
Or probably a newer face from the freshmen squad. All is determined by the offense which doesn't have the luxury of having Russell size in the post. Hallelujah.
The sport is trending towards a more guard oriented style like GS Warriors.
A guard-led team won the natty last season.
There are good guards coming in this year but with the coaching deficiency who knows. Holly hasn't a clue based on what she has, and seems stuck on old traditional ways. Muffet doesn't either but injuries taught her better or the ball would have been going to her big girl. Watch Vic offense circling around his post , he has no other choice. But it will not gain him the natty.
If Davis is your go-to then you need a Catchings to go along with your Holdsclaw.The only exception is playing Davis at the two.
Believe it or not Holly has better players and option then she has ever had. But you have to show your efficiency as a versatile coach in the fashion of a Boston's Brad Steven and that's saying alot. Maybe?
Get the best out of your players and
have some sort of damn system.
No system and there's nothing the players can fight and believe in.
The days of throwing talent on the court without a purpose/plan and believing you will win it all is long past. Here's hoping for the best.

A guard oriented offense only works if you have guards that can shoot, which Tennessee will not have. They will look the same as last year, except without a dominant 6'6 post who was a very reliable scorer, as well as a versatile forward who could score, rebound and defend.

Unless the returning Tennessee guards have learned how to shoot, then this will be a much worse team than last year. They replace their two best players with the weakest links on the roster.

Tennessee has too much talent to be a bust. They could win the SEC as well as any number of schools. There is no "the" team this year. It's going to be parity and the team with the most "gut" will win it. I have no idea what team that is.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee has too much talent to be a bust. They could win the SEC as well as any number of schools. There is no "the" team this year. It's going to be parity and the team with the most "gut" will win it. I have no idea what team that is.

The difference maker is coaching

Reactions: 4 people
We will have great talent but will be very young. Mistakes could happen a lot early. There also may be some close games with some cupcake teams. I believe this could improve, based upon talent, a lot by SEC tournament time. A lot of our team growth factor will depend a lot upon coaching. This team’s growth, or their lack there of, will depend upon our coaches’ ability to coach the team up. In reality, the jury is out as it relates to our coaches ability to take this young team to the next level. The upcoming year may be one of patience and understanding the issues associated with coaching a young team with outstanding potential talent.

Don’t expect a final four. If this team can make it to the NCAA’s, and there is no reason why they cannot, an elite eight would equate to a very good coaching job.

Curious, are you saying we should have a new coach now because we had veteran players on this past team and we did not get anywhere near these goals you have set for this non veteran team?

Reactions: 1 person
Our team is hard at work! Only person missing is “Lou” Brown (finishing up her internship for undergrad)...

Attachments

• F931B73A-59E8-4C5C-AFFB-21910BAD17B4.jpg
    F931B73A-59E8-4C5C-AFFB-21910BAD17B4.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: 6 people
Below is an article from The State paper in SC. It lists the pros & cons of each SEC team heading into next season. They rave about our talent but express concern for the direction of the program. Despite the whispers, we are touted as favorites to win the conference IF Anriel Howard returns to A&M:

South Carolina bringing home a historic SEC trophy

For the past half-decade in SEC women’s basketball, it’s been pretty much all South Carolina — four consecutive tournament titles, four regular season crowns and a 71-9 conference record.

But as summer workouts rev up and more and more transfers announce their new schools, it’s becoming increasingly clear that there is no far-and-away league favorite heading into the 2018-2019 season.

A large reason for that is graduate transfer Anriel Howard. After news broke that Howard, a rebounding and double-double machine, was potentially leaving Texas A&M, it didn’t take long for USC and Mississippi State to become the front-runners for her services.

But she won’t be announcing a decision until August, and while that decision may tip the balance between Starkville and Columbia, there are still several other teams with realistic chances at topping the conference come March 2019.

Georgia

Why they will win: Power forward Caliya Robinson is a two-time All-SEC defender, and coach Joni Taylor returns all but one of the top seven scorers from last year's team, which vastly overachieved.

Why they won't: The Lady Bulldogs don't have much in the way of star power — there's no one player that seems like she can consistently take over games. Georgia also has a strong defense, but commits a lot of fouls in the process.

Mississippi State

Why they will win: It's simple really — Teaira McCowan. The 6-foot-8 rising senior will almost certainly be an All-American and should be in the running for national player of the year. The Bulldogs also return most of their bench and add a pair of five-star freshmen.

Why they won't: Four starters, including the most successful class in program history, are gone, along with nearly 60 percent of last season's scoring. Talented transfers Promise Taylor (SEC all-freshman) and Andra Espinoza-Hunter (UConn) have to sit out the year.

Missouri

Why they will win: Love her or hate her, Sophie Cunningham is one of the conference's best players, and she's back for her senior season with two other returning starters and highly-touted freshman Grace Berg.

Why they won't: The Tigers' second- and third-leading scorers from last year are gone, including a key cog in their frontcourt, Cierra Porter, who had to retire because of medical issues.

South Carolina

Why they will win: Four returning starters, the nation's top-ranked freshman point guard in Destanni Henderson, transfers Te'a Cooper and Nelly Perry and a fearsome corps of guards all add up to a team that could surprise a lot of people despite the absence of a certain star player. Speaking of ...

Why they won't: A'ja Wilson, or a lack thereof, will be what everyone talks about to start the season, and the hole she leaves in the Gamecocks' lineup is staggering — she accounted for more than a quarter of the team's points, rebounds and blocks last year and led the SEC in usage rate.

Tennessee

Why they will win: The talent is there for the Lady Vols, who have eight former five-star recruits on their roster. They return two SEC All-Freshman performers, the SEC Sixth Woman of the Year and a steady role player in Meme Jackson and add yet another top-10 recruiting class.

Why they won't: All that talent hasn't translated to much in the way of results for coach Holly Warlick, with two consecutive early NCAA Tournament exits and no SEC trophies of any kind for three seasons running. UT will still be extremely young and perhaps a year or so away from returning to the top of the conference.

Early pick

If Howard picks South Carolina, the Gamecocks should be the narrow favorite, as she will go a long way towards filling the team's major need: rebounding.

If she picks Mississippi State, the Bulldogs certainly will be dramatically better and arguably even the front-runner, but they’ll still have to radically adjust from last year’s four-guard lineup to a big-dominated starting five, and there still may be holes among the guards.

As it stands, and if Howard surprises everyone and returns to Texas A&M, my favorite, by a hair, is Tennessee. The Lady Vols don't return the most depth and will rely heavily on underclassmen; but at the moment, they seem to be more balanced than USC, more experienced than MSU, more talented than Georgia and deeper than Missouri. I don't expect Howard to stay at A&M though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
To be a grad transfer you have to graduate. From what I have read, Howard needs st least two summer sessions of work to graduate.I cannot confirm how many credits or courses she is short right now, but for sure graduation should be her first priority if she wants to leave A&M.

SEC Regular Season or Tournament Title...

Elite 8, if runner up in SEC, Either SEC Titles Final 4.

Unless Holly is hiding a Chennedy Carter type scorer or much offensive improvement than last year, we could be in deep trouble.

Reactions: 3 people
You do not get to a program like Tennessee without being on some winning teams. These players are usually good athletes. Some athletes win on just talent alone. Some have to work at it to be successful. From what I am hearing.... we have the type who will work on their game, which usually yields success.

In my opinion DD was just a natural athlete. Jamie is a athlete who would have to work on her game! Time will tell with this crop of kids.... It Will Be Interesting! 🤔

Don't know how reasonable it is given the recent past, and it's more a fervent hope and prayer than an expectation. What I really want to see resides not so much in records, trophies, or tournament finishes; instead, its an overall atmosphere surrounding the program.

Simply put, I want the joy back. I want the players and fans to have fun again. I want the yips gone. I want one turnover not to become five, a few missed shots not to become a 1-11 night. I want to never hear "here we go again" again. I want to consistently beat teams we overmatch with talent. I want individual players and the team to improve, not implode, over the course of the season. If this could happen the record and tourney finish would take care of itself.

So sad to have my LV expectations scaled back to this, but I just want to enjoy going to games again, not dread and peek through my fingers covering my eyes. Not at all sure this change of atmosphere can be accomplished under the current staff, too much has happened and the yip factor is just too great. Most likely will take a total housecleaning to let the fresh air in.

Reactions: 7 people
Don't know how reasonable it is given the recent past, and it's more a fervent hope and prayer than an expectation. What I really want to see resides not so much in records, trophies, or tournament finishes; instead, its an overall atmosphere surrounding the program.

Simply put, I want the joy back. I want the players and fans to have fun again. I want the yips gone. I want one turnover not to become five, a few missed shots not to become a 1-11 night. I want to never hear "here we go again" again. I want to consistently beat teams we overmatch with talent. I want individual players and the team to improve, not implode, over the course of the season. If this could happen the record and tourney finish would take care of itself.

So sad to have my LV expectations scaled back to this, but I just want to enjoy going to games again, not dread and peek through my fingers covering my eyes. Not at all sure this change of atmosphere can be accomplished under the current staff, too much has happened and the yip factor is just too great. Most likely will take a total housecleaning to let the fresh air in.

Agreed.

But in all fairness, my biggest fear is that I will never get the joy back. Something switched off inside me the day Pat died, and I haven't been able find a way to turn it back on since. Ugh. :unsure:

Agreed.

But in all fairness, my biggest fear is that I will never get the joy back. Something switched off inside me the day Pat died, and I haven't been able find a way to turn it back on since. Ugh. :unsure:

That joy WILL come back when we begin to dominate like we are supposed to do. And this will happen ,,, if all of the fans, supporters and anyone involved with the program settle for nothing less than that level of dominance.

Losing in the ;
Round of 64 or 32...Embarrassment
S16...Yawn
E8...Minimal acceptable round for this team
FF...Acceptable

Runner up...Proud accomplishment
Champion...Achieved Goal

VN Store

Back