Mercedes with Seattle Storm

Diamond's inconsistent performances seem to be continuing. I think it is becoming clearer that this pattern extends beyond Holly.

Allie Quigly and Gabby Williams also looked like sh!t in this game, too, if you're only looking at the box score. Their lack of scoring probably has more to do with the fact that LA is an elite team from 1-5, and plays great defense. From watching the game, I didnt see her take a bad shot and she stayed within the flow of the offense. Some shots were past her range, but she had no choice due to LA denying the drive. Other times, she made a great move to get past her defender only to be met by Parker or Nneke inside. She also did a good job of passing back out instead of trying to take on too many defenders. She would have had more assists if Quigly wasn't cold from the arc.

As a rookie, Diamond is averaging just under 14 points in the most competitive women's basketball league. I'd say she's already shown that she is an elite talent.

Allie Quigly and Gabby Williams also looked like sh!t in this game, too, if you're only looking at the box score. Their lack of scoring probably has more to do with the fact that LA is an elite team from 1-5, and plays great defense. From watching the game, I didnt see her take a bad shot and she stayed within the flow of the offense. Some shots were past her range, but she had no choice due to LA denying the drive. Other times, she made a great move to get past her defender only to be met by Parker or Nneke inside. She also did a good job of passing back out instead of trying to take on too many defenders. She would have had more assists if Quigly wasn't cold from the arc.

As a rookie, Diamond is averaging just under 14 points in the most competitive women's basketball league. I'd say she's already shown that she is an elite talent.

Amby,Diamond showed that she was an elite talent long before going to the WNBA. What a convoluted way to try to denigrate MV's point that she was still inconsistent and that it was not limited to her years at Tennessee. Since other players had subpar performances,Diamond gets a pass? As you point out,Diamond took good shots,but she missed eight of nine. That was inconsistent as her 14 ppg attests. MT's statement that Diamond's inconsistency was not limited to her Lady Vol career was accurate. No need to introduce anyone else into the equation. All who have played the game know that subpar games happen. In no way was the statement or my reply a put down of Diamond. She was,is,and will continue to be an elite player.

Reactions: 3 people
Amby,Diamond showed that she was an elite talent long before going to the WNBA. What a convoluted way to try to denigrate MV's point that she was still inconsistent and that it was not limited to her years at Tennessee. Since other players had subpar performances,Diamond gets a pass? As you point out,Diamond took good shots,but she missed eight of nine. That was inconsistent as her 14 ppg attests. MT's statement that Diamond's inconsistency was not limited to her Lady Vol career was accurate. No need to introduce anyone else into the equation. All who have played the game know that subpar games happen. In no way was the statement or my reply a put down of Diamond. She was,is,and will continue to be an elite player.

Thanks Benionsopinion. I just checked DD's stat line over her 8 WNBA games. She is avg. 12.6 PG, shooting 37% and 17% from 3pt. She has had good scoring games-- 25 against Las Vega and 19 against Seattle. She also had a 5 pt. outing against Phoenix; 8 against ATL, and 7 against New York (Plus the 4 against LA) and played 20+ minutes in all.

After DD had a good debut, there were many who were quick to post -- "see what she can do now that she is free from the horrible coaching of Holly!" Of course, the logical response was that DD periodically had big numbers/great performances while playing for the LVs. Her problem was doing it on a consistent basis. Rookies are expected to have some ups and downs. But, DD was an inconsistent shooter at UNC, she was inconsistent with the LVS, and how she is repeating that pattern in the WNBA. She has plenty of physical talent but it is becoming clear that she still needs to work on her game a lot more. I would say that there is a big difference between being an elite talent and being an elite player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Deshields is the second leading scorer for Chicago. 12.4 PPG.

Leads team in shots taken 81.

3 Pointers 4-23 17.4%

Third leading Rebounder 5.3 RPG

Has played second most minutes - 12.6 MPG

Has second most Turnovers 16.

Committed second most Fouls - 19.

Her highest scoring game (25 points, 6-18 FG) was against Jamie Nared's Las Vegas team that is 1-7 for the season.

Her Lowest scoring game (4 points, 1-9 FG) was yesterday against Candace Parker's LA Sparks.

I was not a fan of Deshields at UT. I think she has a future, though, in the WNBA. The only question is whether or not she will eventually become a consistent player against the better teams in the WNBA. She is a ROOKIE. She should improve with experience.

It's time for the losers to accept that Diamond is a star.

Thanks Benionsopinion. I just checked DD's stat line over her 8 WNBA games. She is avg. 12.6 PG, shooting 37% and 17% from 3pt. She has had good scoring games-- 25 against Las Vega and 19 against Seattle. She also had a 5 pt. outing against Phoenix; 8 against ATL, and 7 against New York (Plus the 4 against LA) and played 20+ minutes in all.

After DD had a good debut, there were many who were quick to post -- "see what she can do now that she is free from the horrible coaching of Holly!" Of course, the logical response was that DD periodically had big numbers/great performances while playing for the LVs. Her problem was doing it on a consistent basis. Rookies are expected to have some ups and downs. But, DD was an inconsistent shooter at UNC, she was inconsistent with the LVS, and how she is repeating that pattern in the WNBA. She has plenty of physical talent but it is becoming clear that she still needs to work on her game a lot more. I would say that there is a big difference between being an elite talent and being an elite player.

You're also conveniently ignoring the fact that the transition from college to the WNBA is probably even harder than the transition from HS to college. Are you really trying to draw comparisons between how Diamond played against the likes of Virginia Tech and Alabama to how she fares against the best of the best in the world? The fact that she's at 38% FG is actually not that bad for a rookie perimeter player. I'd say that's right along the lines of what other perimeter high draft picks, like Diggins, Sims, Hartley, Plum, McBride, Courtney Williams, T.Mitchell, Powers, etc... produced during their rookie years, even beyond. And these were players that shot the ball very well in college. Allisha Gray was rookie of the year, and she shot 39% from the floor. Gabby Williams shot over 60% for her college career, and she's down to 41% in the WNBA.

This isn't about being inconsistent; it's about adjusting to the tougher competition, and I'd say there's nothing alarming about how Diamond has progressed so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Deshields is the second leading scorer for Chicago. 12.4 PPG.

Leads team in shots taken 81.

3 Pointers 4-23 17.4%

Third leading Rebounder 5.3 RPG

Has played second most minutes - 12.6 MPG

Has second most Turnovers 16.

Committed second most Fouls - 19.

Her highest scoring game (25 points, 6-18 FG) was against Jamie Nared's Las Vegas team that is 1-7 for the season.

Her Lowest scoring game (4 points, 1-9 FG) was yesterday against Candace Parker's LA Sparks.

I was not a fan of Deshields at UT. I think she has a future, though, in the WNBA. The only question is whether or not she will eventually become a consistent player against the better teams in the WNBA. She is a ROOKIE. She should improve with experience.

It's funny how some fans hated her just because she left vols. In her WNBA team, she's the leading scorer Gabby Williams average point is only 4point and plays more minutes than Diamond.

Reactions: 1 person
It's funny how some fans hated her just because she left vols. In her WNBA team, she's the leading scorer Gabby Williams average point is only 4point and plays more minutes than Diamond.

OMFG, NOBODY HATED this young lady. Fans were DISAPPOINTED with the way she left UT. It was distasteful IMO.

Reactions: 4 people
When fans call someone a 'cancer' ... Unless you have a heartless soul, then you 'hate' cancer. Diamond went against her word and she has to live with that. Very simple. But to pretend that NOBODY hated this young lady is completely wrong.

OMFG, NOBODY HATED this young lady. Fans were DISAPPOINTED with the way she left UT. It was distasteful IMO.

Oh the IRONY of this statement..........(hint, the same thought applies to those of us who are "DISAPPOINTED" in CHW and are called Holly HATERS.......you gals can not have it both ways......

When fans call someone a 'cancer' ... Unless you have a heartless soul, then you 'hate' cancer. Diamond went against her word and she has to live with that. Very simple. But to pretend that NOBODY hated this young lady is completely wrong.

I said what I said, to equate calling someone a cancer on a team to HATING them is “completely wrong” No one here stated they hated DD! No one!

Before she bailed, we failed.

She needed a much more stern hand in getting the best out of her and it wasn't there. And unless someone grew some "cochungas" over this off-season, it won't be there this year.

Those kids that are coming in and already on the floor NEED someone they respect MORE than they value themselves.

I said what I said, to equate calling someone a cancer on a team to HATING them is “completely wrong” No one here stated they hated DD! No one!

So guess you would equate the same thing for Holly then. Since you love her and some us want her fired but have never said we hate her. This is ok then by you now.

So guess you would equate the same thing for Holly then. Since you love her and some us want her fired but have never said we hate her. This is ok then by you now.

We’re not going around saying you guys HATE her though......are you people actually reading these post fundamentally or just ready to take a jab at someone who supports the coach of the Lady Vols basketball team?

Cause Im failing to draw the same comparison you all are!

Last edited:
We’re not going around saying you guys HATE her though......are you people actually reading these post fundamentally or just ready to take a jab at someone who supports the coach of the Lady Vols basketball team?

Cause I’m failing to draw the same comparison you all are!

I'm pretty sure we are collectively referred to as "Holly Haters", even if the only comments have been around her coaching abilities. The difference between criticism of Holly and Diamond is that MOST (not all) criticism of Diamond is levelled at who she is as a person, not how she performed on the court. There are some who take potshots at Holly's appearance, but the vast majority of critiques is her as a coach. . Ihope you're not gonna try to dispute that...

Didn’t hate DD. She was just overhyped and didn’t perform as expected. Too many no shows. Hope she learns to be a respectable leader in the pros.

Perhaps they had something more important to take care of or just tired of battling the mentally deficient. Not everyones life revolves around VolNation.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back