Give me the starting OL

Chance Hall really hasn't played in two years. Even if he is cleared to play, and that is a big Maybe, I think that he's probably going to be rotating in to help with the depth on the line. Also, since true freshman have the 4 game rule this season, Jerome Carvin needs to be in the conversation as well. In a couple of cupcake games rotating in some true freshman that you know you don't have to worry about burning a red shirt on could be extremely helpful for them to see game time experience. Plus it means that you don't worry about getting a starter injured in a game that you're expected to win anyway. That rule could help our depth out a lot this year.

Reactions: 2 people
Oline will be a strength of this team. If Smith comes back it could be stellar.

Easy now with those expectations. It may not be the dumpster fire it looked like at first but if it is the strength of the team it'll be a long year my friend.

Easy now with those expectations. It may not be the dumpster fire it looked like at first but if it is the strength of the team it'll be a long year my friend.

Agreed. Kennedy could go down in the first series of game 1 and then what has really changed? Smith may not play and I don't think Chance Hall may even play at all. This transfer does not make this team position a strength.

Our backups are very poor overall. 1st string...They need to stay healthy

Completely agree with you but wrt to Kennedy, he redshirted his first year, played just a bit his second, and got hurt for his third. Not an entirely unheard of rate of progression. I'm more concerned about the injury rather than him not starting at bama, and even then not too worried.

But your point of him being unproven if still completely valid.

I bet he's a good 'un. I'm basing this on the theory that CJP knows him and his potential.

Reactions: 1 person
And as an additional positive footnote. No one is mentioning Emerson, though y'all are aware that he did get some reps on the OL this spring.

Now I agree that he's probable to be DL all the way. And yet ... if we had had him last fall, we sure would have pressed him into action in our banged up OL, and probably ahead of some of the other young guys that did get thrown in there. And he would be available for OL depth in a dumpster fire injury scenario.

What I'm saying is, that with guys like him still in the OL cupboard and not even mentioned ... we are in significantly better shape than we were.

Disagree. There has been talent there but due to injury and crappy coaching I think it has the highest potential based on where it was. Combine that with the additions and I'm excited.

LT-Richmond
LG-Smith
C-Kennedy
RG-Hall
RT-Tatum

Putting Smith and Hall at Guard might be the way of getting "the best 5 guys" on the field together. Guard mighy also be safer for Hall to play with his knee.

Hall is definitely a guard, but I’d put Smith at tackle and Johnson at guard. Tatum is a liability IMO. Too weak.

Richmond
Smith
Kennedy
Hall
Tatum
J. Johnson
Carvin
Brooks
R. Johnson
Calbert
Locklear
Niehaus

Let us hope we can get an efficient eight out of these because this is where we'll either be a lot better than expected or 13th like many predict.

Richmond
Smith
Kennedy
Hall
Tatum
J. Johnson
Carvin
Brooks
R. Johnson
Calbert
Locklear
Niehaus

Let us hope we can get an efficient eight out of these because this is where we'll either be a lot better than expected or 13th like many predict.

There is definitely 8 in there. Niehaus and Brooks are probably the only guys that need to rethink things.

New redshirt rule also means Antonutti and Lane could see action in the three easier non conference games if they come in strong enough.

It's not much, but it does allow us to rest and possibly prevent injury to the currently key pieces.

There is definitely 8 in there. Niehaus and Brooks are probably the only guys that need to rethink things.

Maybe let's not suggest any of these guys "rethink things" as we went thru some guys on the OL last season and were desperate for the next best ones to be there to step up. I hope that never happens again, but you never know.

Niehaus will be fine. Brooks has no business on Oline.

The overall numbers show Oline is NOT the concern it was when Butch was fired. Sure, it needs work, but the parts are there to put up an adequate line.

Hall is definitely a guard, but I’d put Smith at tackle and Johnson at guard. Tatum is a liability IMO. Too weak.

Tatum’s gotten bigger, but he wasn’t moving that well in the spring game and didn’t seem much stronger. He’s still got a long way to go to be a serviceable OT for us.

They’ll definitely look at putting Richmond or Smith at RT in front of Tatum this fall. Only problem with Smith at OT is that then we’d be looking at putting someone like Carvin or Locklear at one OG spot and ideally we’d get both of those guys redshirts IMO.

If Hall really can come back healthy, he could slide into an OG spot and do well there IMO. But I just don’t expect to see him get there health wise.

We have so many options at guard, a good problem to have, and it will be interesting seeing how the coaches sort it out.

Tatum’s gotten bigger, but he wasn’t moving that well in the spring game and didn’t seem much stronger. He’s still got a long way to go to be a serviceable OT for us.

They’ll definitely look at putting Richmond or Smith at RT in front of Tatum this fall. Only problem with Smith at OT is that then we’d be looking at putting someone like Carvin or Locklear at one OG spot and ideally we’d get both of those guys redshirts IMO.

If Hall really can come back healthy, he could slide into an OG spot and do well there IMO. But I just don’t expect to see him get there health wise.

So ... Tatum, J. Johnson, Locklear, Carvin ... maybe two of those 4 might start?

VN Store

Back