Basketball Recruiting Discussion II

Ramar alone ramps up the Thug label. The New Year's Day incident with the hidden gun suggests the same.

Pearl didn't always have control of his roster. His lies to try to keep Williams eligible only contributed to the toxic culture.

Another bad look for the Pearls was SP allegedly being underage and cussing a strip bouncer for not allowing him in the bar. It's been repeated that he had a hissy fit saying "I'm Steven effing Pearl". But that's more spoiled punkishness rather than being a thug. Bruce wasn't necessarily setting a great example either. I can't imagine Barnes losing it and getting tossed out of a high school gym by being a punk.

Who has failed drug tests on this roster? Keeping Mostella on the roster could have been the difference in making the NIT, possibly even the NCAA. I don't remember CRB putting up much of a fight to keep him.

This team seems to have great chemistry. It appears that the leaders are good at keeping the guys focused at putting the interests of the team ahead of all else. Got to credit Barnes for promoting the no nonsense atmosphere instead of enabling the opposite. It's not unusual to have some violations. How those things are dealt with are important when developing individuals.

Not to suggest that I know the real stories, but I wonder about a transfer or two. They had some skills that should have had them contributing. Also the reason for AS's suspension was never made public.

How much do we know about Chattanooga big man Jason Jitoboh who has expressed interest in the Vols (among others)?
Only a three-star, but he seems to have the wingspan of a 747.

How much do we know about Chattanooga big man Jason Jitoboh who has expressed interest in the Vols (among others)?

Pretty raw. Had been getting rave reviews in early AAU action this summer, but then was injured and missed several sessions.

Reactions: 1 person
Really think Jitoboh could be a great project player. But do you really want to take two projects in this class? I think if UT takes Jitoboh, that means Pember is for sure going to the 2020 class.

Could be something to watch, was told by someone recently that Barnes really like his potential and would add some size down low. Another intriguing factor is that apparently Jitoboh’s mentor is Dickey Simpson, who’s friendship with Barnes goes back 30+ years to when Simpson played for Barnes at Providence, the 2 have remained very close since.

Ramar alone ramps up the Thug label. The New Year's Day incident with the hidden gun suggests the same.

Pearl didn't always have control of his roster. His lies to try to keep Williams eligible only contributed to the toxic culture.

Another bad look for the Pearls was SP allegedly being underage and cussing a strip bouncer for not allowing him in the bar. It's been repeated that he had a hissy fit saying "I'm Steven effing Pearl". But that's more spoiled punkishness rather than being a thug. Bruce wasn't necessarily setting a great example either. I can't imagine Barnes losing it and getting tossed out of a high school gym by being a punk.

Who has failed drug tests on this roster? Keeping Mostella on the roster could have been the difference in making the NIT, possibly even the NCAA. I don't remember CRB putting up much of a fight to keep him.

This team seems to have great chemistry. It appears that the leaders are good at keeping the guys focused at putting the interests of the team ahead of all else. Got to credit Barnes for promoting the no nonsense atmosphere instead of enabling the opposite. It's not unusual to have some violations. How those things are dealt with are important when developing individuals.

Not to suggest that I know the real stories, but I wonder about a transfer or two. They had some skills that should have had them contributing. Also the reason for AS's suspension was never made public.

Pearl was protecting himself when he said BW was injured. He wasn’t trying to “keep Williams eligible.” He didn’t want the negative press. He was under a ton of fire.

Pearl was protecting himself when he said BW was injured. He wasn’t trying to “keep Williams eligible.” He didn’t want the negative press. He was under a ton of fire.

Isn’t the negative press likely to be worse for lying and covering it up rather than being open about it?

Just saying. I can handle one incident a year if we are making tourneys.

The New Year's Day kind of incident better not happen more than once per coaching tenure. At least Ramar was gone when he was accused of dealing and/or capping somebody's ass... but no telling what kind of **** he had going on that he wasn't caught doing.

Meyer said today that he believes CJ Walker (potential package deal with Mann) is highly under ranked at 91 overall. See him as a 5 star. Pogo sticks for legs and a relentless motor.

Reactions: 3 people
could be something to watch, was told by someone recently that barnes really like his potential and would add some size down low. Another intriguing factor is that apparently jitoboh’s mentor is dickey simpson, who’s friendship with barnes goes back 30+ years to when simpson played for barnes at providence, the 2 have remained very close since.

Very Interesting.jpg

Rob Lewis is at the NBA Top 100 Camp where several of Tennessee targets are taking part, summary...

- Didn’t talk with Mann but in talking to multiple national guys in attendance sounds like the Vols are in pretty good shape and a decision could be coming in the next couple weeks.

-Talked with Jalen Lecque, has very serious interest in Tennessee but would be for 2019...be interesting to see if he tries to go Anfernee Simons route or attend college.

-Greg Gantt spoke highly of Tennessee and knows Grant Williams and Jalen Johnson pretty well, has 3 OV’s already set so if Tennessee is serious about him they’ll have to turn it up. Sounds as if he would be interested in visiting but Tennessee appears to have others higher on the board.

-Similar for Patrick Williams, Tennessee has CJ Walker above these other wing guys and appears like they’re going to push for him, but Williams is a guy that likes Tennessee as well.

-KyKy Tandy said he’s been hearing off and on from Tennessee, vibe seems to be Tennessee is going to pass there as it seems like they’re in good shape with Mann, only so much room.

-2020 Keon Johnson was one of the best players there, from Nashville area and plays for former Vol Mark Griffin’s AAU squad, spoke very highly of Tennessee.

-2020 Jaden Springer also showed out, also spoke highly of Tennessee and plays for Bobby Maze’s AAU team, that recruitment will be a battle though.

Reactions: 4 people
VQ continues to say they’ve talked with people and think Gaines will be in this class, so sounds like it could be Mann, Gaines and Walker as fall signees to me.

VN Store

Back