Tennessee a seven point underdog against West Virginia

Is that an actual prediction or are you just gonna hide behind sarcasm? I’m not trying to be a d*** so I can play “gotcha!” if things don’t go well. I’m just interested in talking football and how you see our defense looking in 2018.

FWIW, I do expect to see us make big strides in some areas. We’ll probably be much better in red zone defense and scoring defense. I think our front seven (if healthy) could potentially get us back up in that top 50-60 range for rushing defense. I’m not sure I see the passing defense doing that well though.

A lot will probably hinge on how well much the offense improves, though. Our defensive struggles the past two years have definitely been exacerbated by offensive issues. In 2016 we often scored so quickly the defense couldn’t get a rest and last year we couldn’t sustain drives well enough to give the defense a rest or win the field position battle.

I’m just not sure I see the defense going from one of the worst in school history to above average in one offseason. Scheme changes can take some time (though Pruitt does have a pretty good history of getting results from his defenses quickly), we’re not too deep in some key positions, and some guys we’ll need to really step up this year don’t really have histories of staying healthy.

Hope I’m wrong and you’re right though!

I’m glad you’re not getting overly worked up over someone else’s prediction of a defensive ranking. We’re all armed with the same FACTS...it’s just how we individually prop them up. We’re nowhere near the talent abscess some advocate nor the juggernaut OD propagates...somewhere in the soft middle.

Reactions: 1 person
Is that an actual prediction or are you just gonna hide behind sarcasm? I’m not trying to be a d*** so I can play “gotcha!” if things don’t go well. I’m just interested in talking football and how you see our defense looking in 2018.

FWIW, I do expect to see us make big strides in some areas. We’ll probably be much better in red zone defense and scoring defense. I think our front seven (if healthy) could potentially get us back up in that top 50-60 range for rushing defense. I’m not sure I see the passing defense doing that well though.

A lot will probably hinge on how well much the offense improves, though. Our defensive struggles the past two years have definitely been exacerbated by offensive issues. In 2016 we often scored so quickly the defense couldn’t get a rest and last year we couldn’t sustain drives well enough to give the defense a rest or win the field position battle.

I’m just not sure I see the defense going from one of the worst in school history to above average in one offseason. Scheme changes can take some time (though Pruitt does have a pretty good history of getting results from his defenses quickly), we’re not too deep in some key positions, and some guys we’ll need to really step up this year don’t really have histories of staying healthy.

Hope I’m wrong and you’re right though!

considering how bad it's been the last 2 years, we could move up 40 spots nationally and it still be bad.

just not AS BAD as it's been.:thumbsup:

considering how bad it's been the last 2 years, we could move up 40 spots nationally and it still be bad.

just not AS BAD as it's been.:thumbsup:

Depends on in what area. That would put us solidly in middle of the pack in some areas.

Anyway, stats and rankings aren’t always the best indicator of how good a unit is. Our defense was obviously bad last year, but they were also done very few favors by our offense or special teams units, and I think that exacerbated many of their issues.

I’m interested to see what our new staff can get out of them. Hopefully they stay good and healthy all season so we can get a good read on their progress.

And nobody will run on our defense right?

I didn't say that nor imply anything like that...

Our defense will be improved. How much, is anyone's guess...

Nobody that plays for Pruitt is going to go through the motions....they will play with his mentality, which is hard nosed and a never quit attitude. That in itself already gives this defense a leg up on last year's defense...

Depends on in what area. That would put us solidly in middle of the pack in some areas.

Anyway, stats and rankings aren’t always the best indicator of how good a unit is. Our defense was obviously bad last year, but they were also done very few favors by our offense or special teams units, and I think that exacerbated many of their issues.

I’m interested to see what our new staff can get out of them. Hopefully they stay good and healthy all season so we can get a good read on their progress.

agreed, and i think one of the areas that we probably should some improvement is in situational football. bend/don't break type defense.

there's an eye test available that people will be able to tell if this team is better defensively or not.

I think this defense will be better,,how much is anyone's guess. As long as they get off the field on most 3rd downs and give up less points than the offense scores I'm good with it.

A seven pt dog at home, to a mediocre school. My how the once-mighty Vols have fallen. This is a shameful disgrace.

West Virginia comes to Thompson Boling Arena in the Big 12-SEC matchup in basketball so UT has a chance to hit the daily double in victories.

My fifth grade teacher was a WV alumni LBer, he was a bum. Another reason West Virginia to be humiliated, to avenge dan4vols!

Reactions: 3 people
My fifth grade teacher was a WV alumni LBer, he was a bum. Another reason West Virginia to be humiliated, to avenge dan4vols!

Are you saying 5th grade was a major turning point in your life? :)

But I agree...more bulletin board material for the Vols. :rock:

Reactions: 1 person
Malzahn took a 3-9 Auburn team to the national championship game in his first season there and only his second ever year as a head coach (first year at Arkansas state) so anything is possible.

a-chance.gif

Are you saying 5th grade was a major turning point in your life? :)

But I agree...more bulletin board material for the Vols. :rock:

I wouldn’t say my fifth grade teacher or that year was a turning point, more of a year in purgatory. I would say he was an overgrown immature man who was a bad teacher.

It's way too early to be posting about the spread on this game...Even though I probably agree with it and would like to see UT only lose by 7, its May. Some players haven't even arrived on campus to be evaluated on what they can contribute to both teams yet.

Since I don't bet on games, not a concern. And since it is May? Even less concerned.

VN Store

Back