End of Season

Anybody think that the number of baseball scholarships might increase soon by the NCAA?

Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt say unlikely in the near future.

They are in the know, but...I believe in my heart of hearts that slowly, big time changes to college baseball and softball will come in my lifetime. Spend a couple of days in Hoover, I came home before it got good even...that's how it is done.

Omaha won't be that good.

11.7 is a ncaa limit mandate.

Until one school, somewhere, bucks that system.

It's what the schools have to do to be compliant with federal law. What seems like a "no brainer" if you have a daughter, I suspect, by today's standards, was fought at every turn...

TELEVISION

NCAA v. Board of Regents (1984)

The board of regents of two schools, the University of Georgia and the University of Oklahoma, challenged the NCAA’s television plan. Prior to this case, the NCAA controlled and negotiated the television rights for all NCAA schools. The NCAA’s plan limited the number of national television appearances and spread television rights money more equally amongst the member schools. The plan lead major football schools to form the College Football Association which negotiated a separate television contract that prompted the lawsuit.

The Supreme Court ruled that NCAA control of television rights violated the Sherman Antitrust Act. Justice John Paul Stevens wrote the majority opinion which found that the NCAA’s television plan restricted supply, raised prices, and could not be used to protect live attendance at football games. The Supreme Court opinion also mentioned the NCAA can pass rules related to its mission to promote amateur, collegiate athletics.

*emphasis mine.

Title IX was set up to make sure girls had the same opportunities to play college sports...Simple. 1972.

Mind you the ramifications of television were still over a decade away. Even then, only two schools had the balls to stand up to ALL THE OTHER INSTITUTIONS (after all, the member institutions are the NCAA) and say, hold on a damn second, "Why does the NCAA have the right to dictate to our University when, where, what time, etc...That we play football on television?

Battle at Bristol? Thanks UGA and Oklahoma!

What was not simple at the time was how to generate the revenue to pay for the Title IX, or the "mandate" as you rightly call it. Some deemed it the end of College Football and at the expense of Men's sports as we know it...

um, that hasn't worked out to be the case has it?

The Title IX debate continued for another decade and a half.

March 22, 1988
The Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 is enacted into law over the veto of President Ronald Reagan. This act reverses Grove City, restoring Title IX’s institution-wide coverage. If any program or activity in an educational institution receives federal funds, all of the institution’s programs and activities must comply with Title IX.3

There are a few schools, hand full of schools that are generating revenue in college baseball...

It is true.

When you go to Hoover, go to the Finley Center. It's completely free...It's amazing to think...All of it...the video games, the pool tables, foosball tables, air hockey tables, zip line, wall climbing, inflatable, live entertainment...I didn't really explore it all...

That's what the SEC thinks about baseball, in combination with the city of Hoover and sponsors...

It's an eye opening experience

So, I'll ask this question here, hopefully I've laid a little ground work...

"Why does the NCAA have the right to dictate to our University how we decide to dole out our scholarship money?"

Because, even the institutions of higher learning, with considerable influence, who fought it every step of the way...turned out to be wrong at the end of the fight, and...still are.

They are still wrong, but Title IX, forces them to do what they ought to have done on their own any way.

It's a federally enforced minimum standard that, eventually, the member institutions of the NCAA had no choice but to go along with.

I know what the schools who can't offer it will say, but what about the schools that can and SHOULD?

It may be settled law now, until it's not.

Just, lol, for entertainment purposes ONLY...Title IX, 1988...

1984 The Victory Tour, The Jackson 5, with Michael and Janet play Neyland Stadium for three nights.

Victory Tour (The Jacksons tour - Wikipedia)

$4,452,210 in revenue...Only Giant's Stadium did better financially, only Dodger Stadium, in the States (Toronto), did better in attendance, financials unreported...

The UTAD made over $100 Million last year.

I went to one of those Neyland shows, :dance2:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I am going to guess he saw the entire staff likely coming back, plus the recruits coming in and knew he wouldn’t see the mound much.

Read this on the other string…it’s too bad if Benoit left. He and Wallace looked good as weekend mid relief guys. But, as I said numerous time…why would any 2017 kid stick around….head to JUCO and get a clean start with a program that wants you and you want them.

Read this on the other string…it’s too bad if Benoit left. He and Wallace looked good as weekend mid relief guys. But, as I said numerous time…why would any 2017 kid stick around….head to JUCO and get a clean start with a program that wants you and you want them.

How about keep your word. Give your all to Tennessee and work hard to pitch next year.

Keep your word. Give your all to Tennessee and work hard to pitch next year and still get the Big Orange Screw.

I think an exit interview was probably conducted.

Keep your word. Give your all to Tennessee and work hard to pitch next year and still get the Big Orange Screw.

I think an exit interview was probably conducted.

You must be a related. How did you get screwed. He pitch a bunch of innings. That JR. College is not a better place.
Maybe exit interview was not too good. Lol

Last edited:
You must be a related. How did you get screwed. He pitch a bunch of innings. That JR. College is not a better place.
Maybe exit interview was not too good. Lol

:huh: Not a related. He pitch a bunch of innings and saw the writing on the wall. He not going JUCO. I'm guessing the exit interview did not go well. At any rate, he's not the last. More than 35 kids to fill those spots.

Every alumnus from the University of Tennessee has a Big Orange Screw story. They sold posters of Big Orange Screws in the bookstore we could hang in our dorm windows. Common knowledge for alumni.

VN Store

Back