If Butch can beat a two loss South Carolina...

There were moments of brightness in coach Jones's first 3 years. But I think that our team emotionally peaked at our victory over Northwestern in the Outback Bowl. Even in 2016 when power talent looked like it was it's best under Jones, we never seemed to have the same passion again. Then there were broken promises, the players started to lose trust in the system and the downward spiral began.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the OP was referring to the 2013 season where UT beat a very good USC team. Dobbs didn't play that game and Barnett was still in HS.

True, fair enough. That is the only Butch game I remember we were clearly outmatched on the field but played well beyond our means.

Then Pruitt can beat Auburn no questions asked.

How is that even comparable? Recently, 95% of the 3-4 loss SEC West Team's are better than a 1-2 loss SEC East team. The Auburn team that beat Ala and Ga at home last yr and will have one of the best defensive front seven's in the country this yr. Not to mention a potential Heisman candidate at QB and Auburn being one of the hardest places to win at. Also throw we haven't beaten AU since '99, have lost 6 straight to them, we are 1-6-1 our last 7 trips to Auburn and have lost like 12 or so straight games vs SEC West Teams. That's as much of a sure thing loss as Alabama is this yr.

Why do we have so many fans that are delusional? WE WERE 4-8 LAST YEAR.... THE WORST YEAR EVER.... I believe Pruitt can turn it around but not in year 1.... Smart went 8-5 In year 1 with alot more talent.... we will be lucky to go 6-6.....

Why do we have so many fans that are delusional? WE WERE 4-8 LAST YEAR.... THE WORST YEAR EVER.... I believe Pruitt can turn it around but not in year 1.... Smart went 8-5 In year 1 with alot more talent.... we will be lucky to go 6-6.....

Delusional would be thinking we win 10 wins and win the east. Getting 6-8 wins and a bowl is easily attainable. Records are not Always an indicator of how good a team is or isn't. We were also 3 plays from being 7-5 last yr, going to a bowl and still having Butch. 6-6 is really the absolute worst case scenario this yr and really should easily get that. Michigan St went 10-3 last yr but after going 3-9 the year before. 2012 Auburn went 3-9..After a Coaching change they went 12-2 and played for the NC the very next yr. We also had more injuries than most teams have in 2 yrs and one of the worst coaching staffs in the SEC. Injuries and Coaching were the biggest issues last yr. We had and have much better than 4-8 talent. We also went 5-6 in 2005 then Cut was hired as OC and we went 9-4 and 10-4 the next 2 yrs. You can't predict how a team will do based off last yrs results.

Last edited:
How the heck do you make that leap?!? :blink:

DOBBS beat SC and saved Trumpet Boys Job!!

picture.php

Worley did one year.

Delusional would be thinking we win 10 wins and win the east. Getting 6-8 wins and a bowl is easily attainable. Records are not Always an indicator of how good a team is or isn't. We were also 3 plays from being 7-5 last yr, going to a bowl and still having Butch. 6-6 is really the absolute worst case scenario this yr and really should easily get that. Michigan St went 10-3 last yr but after going 3-9 the year before. 2012 Auburn went 3-9..After a Coaching change they went 12-2 and played for the NC the very next yr. We also had more injuries than most teams have in 2 yrs and one of the worst coaching staffs in the SEC. Injuries and Coaching were the biggest issues last yr. We had and have much better than 4-8 talent. We also went 5-6 in 2005 then Cut was hired as OC and we went 9-4 and 10-4 the next 2 yrs. You can't predict how a team will do based off last yrs results.
I completely agree. You also have to look at what we lost going into last season. Our starting quarterback Dobbs, Barnett, Sutton, both of our previous starting running backs, our receivers Malone, Smith, and Jennings, as well as many others due to injury, retirement,or transferring. We basically had a brand new inexperienced team in 2017. Most teams lose one or a few pieces of a team in a season where key players get drafted, but we basically lost our entire starting lineup. It's no wonder we had the season we had. Most everyone will have another year of experience and play time for this coming year and will be able to mentor the ones that don't. This season doesn't have to be year 1 for this team.

I completely agree. You also have to look at what we lost going into last season. Our starting quarterback Dobbs, Barnett, Sutton, both of our previous starting running backs, our receivers Malone, Smith, and Jennings, as well as many others due to injury, retirement,or transferring. We basically had a brand new inexperienced team in 2017. Most teams lose one or a few pieces of a team in a season where key players get drafted, but we basically lost our entire starting lineup. It's no wonder we had the season we had. Most everyone will have another year of experience and play time for this coming year and will be able to mentor the ones that don't. This season doesn't have to be year 1 for this team.

Agree 100%..I really think last year that our current staff easily wins 8 games. But easily could have won 7 and that was a horrible excuse for an SEC Coaching staff. Throw in the staff tension, the players fighting more than just the regular scuffles all teams have and all the injuries. Also the pathetic excuse for an OC, OLine Coach, WR Coach and QB Coach. I'm not sure any FBS school had a worse offensive coaching staff. We had a first time OC, who had no business getting that job, an OLine Coach who has never coached at a power 5 school, a WR Coach who his own Alma Mater would retain and a QB Coach, who was a majority lifetime mid major coach. It was a recipe for disaster and Butch did nothing tofix the tension on his staff. Yet still was 3 last second plays from a 7-5 season. It was a blessing in disguise though, we still have Butch if we go 7-5 and still have Curry as our AD. Then our problems just keep compounding and who knows how much worse it could have gotten. Last yr sucked but it was the absolute best thing that could have happened.

Nobody does less with more than Auburn.

That award goes to Texas A'M, Fla St and LSU. Auburn has atleast gotten to 2 NC games, won 1 and lost the other in the final minute. Plus have won the West a few times and beaten Ala several times vs Saban also. They tend to not be motivated in Bowl games that have no championship chances tied to it.

VN Store

Back