Phillip Fulmer: No More Memphis State

No thank you, Knoxville News. :hi:

Oh, aight.

Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer says no plans to resume football series with Memphis

"Tennessee athletic director Phillip Fulmer said Tuesday the door was open to restoring the football series with Memphis but as of now, there are no plans to add the Tigers to the schedule.

Speaking at the Big Orange Caravan at Agriculture International, Fulmer noted that the Tigers are a far different program than when he faced them eight times during his 17 years as coach of the Vols.

"They're a good team, a ranked team and playing well from what I saw," Fulmer said, "They've done quite well and it makes sense to have the conversation."

A Memphis athletic department spokesman said earlier Tuesday that there have been no conversations with Tennessee to resume the series, which has been dormant since 2010.

UT coach Jeremy Pruitt echoed that line of thought when he said he was not aware of any discussions to restore the series. He also praised Memphis for their improvement the last few years.

"They've done a fantastic job here the last couple coaches. I don't make the schedules, I just coach the teams we're going to play on Saturdays," Pruitt said.

Last game between Memphis, Vols was 2010
Tennessee defeated Memphis 50-14 in that 2010 meeting and is 22-1 all-time against Memphis. The lone defeat came in 1996 when the Tigers upset the then-No. 6 ranked Vols coached by Fulmer and led by quarterback legend Peyton Manning.

The eight-year gap since the last meeting is the longest since the teams first met in 1968 and it will extend at least a few more years because Memphis has finalized its nonconference schedule through 2022.

Memphis does have an opening for a nonconference game in 2023 but since the Tigers are planning to host Missouri, it seems unlikely they would reach out to play two SEC schools in the same year.

Fulmer went 7-1 against Memphis, the lone loss coming in 1996 when the Tigers upset the then-No. 6 ranked Vols, who had Manning in his junior season. Fulmer did stress that during his coaching tenure, Memphis was a priority in recruiting and he expected that would continue.

"We have a lot of not just athletes there but a lot of students, a lot of alumni, the med schools – there’s so many reasons to make this important to Tennessee," Fulmer said, "We thought when I was coaching, it was key for our success to come to Memphis and do well."

One of the Vols' recent Memphis-area recruits is Cordova alum Jerome Carvin, who enrolled in January. Pruitt said that Carvin showed great improvement during spring practice while seeing time at both offensive tackle and guard.

"I see a guy who works really hard. He's got a great work ethic," Pruitt said. "He's a really good competitor and has some power in his body."

Reactions: 2 people
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I think it's a no-win issue for UT. It doesn't really help with SoS when UT wins and Lord help the Vols if they lose. Game doesn't really make sense except for recruiting reasons. Why not play a game in Memphis every 2-3 yrs. like they did in the past? I remember several Miss St and Ole Miss games at the Liberty Bowl.
From Memphis, I'm with you. A game every once in a while.

I was at the 1996 game where we came in 5th ranked nationally and proceeded to lose w/ Peyton at the helm. Phil wouldn't release the Peyton Kraken because we were going to run the rock against 9 in the box hell or highwater.

2m 1996 Memphis upsets Tennessee and Peyton Manning! - YouTube

Last edited:
Memphis and Middle Tenn are dangerous programs when Tennessee is down but somewhat challenging tune up games otherwise.

Going out to Memphis would be good for the out-west in state fans and help with Memphis recruiting which has been challenging for TN to say the least.

Reactions: 6 people
You weren’t at the Ga game last yr huh?

The 96 loss to Memphis was the worst loss since UTC beat us back in the 50s. Unfortunately, I saw both of those games. I think the losses to Vandy in the last few years are pretty bad and worst than the UGa games last year.

Reactions: 4 people
Seems like it makes more sense to schedule MTSU every other year or so. That’s where the new hotbed of talent seems to be coming from.

Reactions: 2 people
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I think it's a no-win issue for UT. It doesn't really help with SoS when UT wins and Lord help the Vols if they lose. Game doesn't really make sense except for recruiting reasons. Why not play a game in Memphis every 2-3 yrs. like they did in the past? I remember several Miss St and Ole Miss games at the Liberty Bowl.

I also remember a game with UCLA (65 I think). Was one of the best of the last 1/2 of the century. Prothro(spelling) who coached for UCLA ( and was from Tennessee) said after the game that he would never come to Tennessee again. Also was the place and year that Ole Miss knocked out QB Fulton and started the legend of the "swamp rat".

I feel so thankful we haven't played Memphis State the last 5 years. They would have run the score up worse than our SEC brethren did. In fact, I don't want none of them the next two years. 2020 maybe.

I also remember a game with UCLA (65 I think). Was one of the best of the last 1/2 of the century. Prothro(spelling) who coached for UCLA ( and was from Tennessee) said after the game that he would never come to Tennessee again.

The very day I became a VFL.

"UCLA got to midfield and Beban heaved one last pass that was intercepted by Tennessee's Bob Patrella. Here it got ugly as Patrella, caught up in the moment did not hear the final gun go off and started running the ball back. He happened to be running down the wrong side of the field, and UCLA player Paul Horgan stormed off the UCLA bench and sucker-punched Patrella. He was knocked cold, and had several lacerations that required twelve stitches.

The Bruins' behavior got even worse. Memphian Prothro spent his time complaining about poor officiating and clock management. He stated after the contest, "For the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be a Southerner."

:finger3:

Wish I could find that video. :whatever:

Thread title made me think that Fulmer actually said “Memphis State.” I was visualizing my 90-year-old 120-lb Memphis mother coming after him on her walker.

She doesn’t take “Tiger High” kindly either. :)

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back