Pruitt’s Opinion on Grad Transfers..

I know we're not supposed to say this on the internet because someone might think you're stupit, but I'd love for us to kick a game winning field goal against that little sawed off coark soaker in October.

Reactions: 5 people
Players should be allowed to transfer without penalty or restriction in the following situations....

1. The head coach at their current school leaves/quits/fired.
2. They graduate from that school and have eligibility remaining
3. Their current school is placed on NCAA probation for a major rules violation
4. They can show a hardship that requires them to be closer to home

Reactions: 9 people
5. They want to play for Tennessee.
6. They originally signed with Alabama and realized how stupid of a mistake that was.
7. They like orange better than "redish".

Reactions: 10 people
What Pruitt said was spot on. I don't even think a graduate student who decides to pursue graduate studies at another college or university should be thought of as a "transfer". We don't do that with regular graduate students - just athletes.

Reactions: 2 people
I disagree with this grad x-fer loophole as a whole, not just the SEC overlay. Every GT that I've followed (more in bball) are not after a mystical degree not offered at their current school. They're just looking for a change of scenery for sports. I'm sure their are a tiny % of real cases out there tho. I don't understand Pruitt's philosophy of "If they graduate they are mature enough". That's like a straw man argument. Maturity of the player is not the reason the xferring without sitting out at the same level is not allowed. It's about the integrity of team rosters.

This is issue of transferring is about reducing the amount of players hopping around to different teams. If a player grads, then let them sit out a year like every other x-fer if they want to quit on their team and try another school. There are 1,000 different excuses that could be used to justify players transferring immediately. How does graduating change anything?

All that being said, I hope we get the kid (or Oregon) and anything else that jacks up Bama.

I disagree with this grad x-fer loophole as a whole, not just the SEC overlay. Every GT that I've followed (more in bball) are not after a mystical degree not offered at their current school. They're just looking for a change of scenery for sports. I'm sure their are a tiny % of real cases out there tho. I don't understand Pruitt's philosophy of "If they graduate they are mature enough". That's like a straw man argument. Maturity of the player is not the reason the xferring without sitting out at the same level is not allowed. It's about the integrity of team rosters.

This is issue of transferring is about reducing the amount of players hopping around to different teams. If a player grads, then let them sit out a year like every other x-fer if they want to quit on their team and try another school. There are 1,000 different excuses that could be used to justify players transferring immediately. How does graduating change anything?

All that being said, I hope we get the kid (or Oregon) and anything else that jacks up Bama.

Your classification as an undergraduate student has changed. It should not be the job of either the NCAA or the SEC to question the motives of a student just because that student also participates in sports. It is very common (even the norm) for graduate students to pursue degrees at schools other than where they earned their bachelor's degree. There should be no punitive element for a graduate/student athlete. A graduate has not quit at anything but rather has completed their current coursework.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I know we're not supposed to say this on the internet because someone might think you're stupit, but I'd love for us to kick a game winning field goal against that little sawed off coark soaker in October.

Having flashbacks of 2009?

I think a grad transfer from one SEC school to another makes for an interesting game narrative. It isn't the WWE (usually), and I can't see it causing any silliness like that. But if it does, it will probably happen here.

“How does graduating change anything?” How does it not? You can try to frame graduate transferring as “quitting on their team” all you like but that’s a blatantly ignorant outlook. Graduate transfers generally play more years for a team than guys who go pro after three years, does this make them more or less loyal to their team?

They are not bound by contract to only play for one school for their entire life. And after fufilling their initial promise (which is 3-5 years, on yearly scholarships) players should be free to pursue their own interests. Similar to how contract workers in all fields work.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, I was talking about the other little sawed off coark soaker, "St. Nick". You probably weren't old enough to remember, but we lost that game.

Not even my all time favorite. I was sitting at about the 30-yard line in that rust bucket by the river and Bama is playing #3 Tennessee to a 6-6 tie. Burke tries a long field goal late in the 4th quarter and Bama's Stacy Harrison blocks it.

Bama moves the ball downfield and with 4 seconds left All-SEC kicker Philip Doyle kicks a 47 yarder for the major upset. Bama wins 9-6. Gene Stalling gets his signature win after beating a vol team that was about a 2 TD favorite.

Oh, those pesky field goals.

Sorry, I was talking about the other little sawed off coark soaker, "St. Nick". You probably weren't old enough to remember, but we lost that game.

We lost that game( in my opinion )because our coach didn’t make it clear to the lineman that if the same guy blocks another field goal I’ll run you on the steps until you puke . I still to this day don’t understand how one (ummm slightly over his ideal body weight ) lineman blocks two field goals

Not even my all time favorite. I was sitting at about the 30-yard line in that rust bucket by the river and Bama is playing #3 Tennessee to a 6-6 tie. Burke tries a long field goal late in the 4th quarter and Bama's Stacy Harrison blocks it.

Bama moves the ball downfield and with 4 seconds left All-SEC kicker Philip Doyle kicks a 47 yarder for the major upset. Bama wins 9-6. Gene Stalling gets his signature win after beating a vol team that was about a 2 TD favorite.

Oh, those pesky field goals.

"Real happy for you, Dave".

I always liked Gene. Considering.

We lost that game( in my opinion )because our coach didn’t make it clear to the lineman that if the same guy blocks another field goal I’ll run you on the steps until you puke . I still to this day don’t understand how one (ummm slightly over his ideal body weight ) lineman blocks two field goals

We lost the game because Lane got super conservative because of the officiating (For every 1 penalty called on Bama, we had 8 called on us). He trusted his kicker with the yips more than he trusted SEC officiating. That's why we lost......

Reactions: 1 person
Players should be allowed to transfer without penalty or restriction in the following situations....

1. The head coach at their current school leaves/quits/fired.
2. They graduate from that school and have eligibility remaining
3. Their current school is placed on NCAA probation for a major rules violation
4. They can show a hardship that requires them to be closer to home
:good!: on all but no. 1

VN Store

Back