CFB News says UT vs. Oklahoma St. in Liberty Bowl

We now probably know who we will not be playing or where.

I looked at last years's CBS preseason Bowl projections done by Jerry Palm. Out of the 39 bowl games that he projected, even with the benefit of conference tie-ins to most of the bowls, he predicted correctly only one matchup (NW vs Kentucky in the Music City). He also predicted correctly only 9 of the 78 teams in the correct bowl (Army in the Armed Forces which was already arranged, Toledo in the dollar general, Iowa in the Pinstripe, Navy in the Military, Stanford in the Alamo, NW/KY, Washington in Fiesta, and Bama in the Sugar).

So, Palm had only about a 12% rate placing teams in a bowl, and less than 3% success rate predicting the actual matchup. A pecking chicken could probably fare better. My guess is that other predictors have similar "success" rates.

believe you and I should get a chance to make good money coming up with articles such as this. I think with the help of an editor anyone on the site could match, even exceed, that percentage. Does it even qualify as a "fun" read if you know in advance it's almost completely inaccurate?

They have a 2 game streak on us and 4 of the last 6. The last meeting they smoked us in Neyland. We got some ground to cover before we go calling ourselves Vandy.

Reactions: 1 person
After last years disaster, I would love the fact that we simply made it to ANY bowl this year.

I agree making it to a bowl this year definitely would be a step in the right direction. Getting a few more needed practices and some tv exposure never hurts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Well I've seen where we are routinely rated as the 13th or 14th best team in the SEC, so Liberty Bowl is an upgrade in perceptions.

Gundy should be a UT Donor since we set him up with 2 sweet raises during the last two coaching searches!

They have a 2 game streak on us and 4 of the last 6. The last meeting they smoked us in Neyland. We got some ground to cover before we go calling ourselves Vandy.

I see posts every once in a while saying things like "this is why others think UT fans are stupid"....

Lulz, its not enough to state the w/l record for the past 6 years and say things like "they own us", nooo, some of us want to call us Vandy. :crazy:

And we’ve had the worst coaches in the History of UT athletics on the sidelines for those “feel good” wins for Vandy. Had Tennessee had anyone with any amount of competence we’d have won easily. Instead we got a man who quit mid season and rode the wave til the end.

Then there is dear ole Dave.
That’s just a disaster by itself.

Going to go ahead and book my tickets if possible.. JK

I wouldn't want to play them. Other than a W in the Win column and Pruitt winning his first bowl game, I don't think we gain anything by beating them.

Any bowl game win would be a gain! geez.

Vandy absolutely owned Butch Jones and owns Tennessee right now. The worm has turned, the mindset for both programs has changed. Vandy believes they can beat us now and they’re right.

Fun fact....

I was born in 1967....since then, Tennessee has lost to Vanderbilt 7 times....51 games, 7 losses.....3 under Lyle the last 5 seasons and 4 in the last 6 years. Never thought I’d live to see it.

Reactions: 3 people
Any win we get in the upcoming season is something to build on. A lot of fans including myself, were excited about Gundy possibly being UT's coach. A win would make most UT fans feel better about the CJP hire.

Didn't Grundy turn us down? It's not like we were confused between the two and picked Pruitt instead. Regardless, I think a lot of fans including myself don't really care about what "could of been". We have our coach and it is what it is.

Personally, I would of picked Pruitt over him anyway. I know a lot of people love his record and what he's done at OSU but I don't think he fits our culture.

Pruitt is our guy.

I wouldn't want to play them. Other than a W in the Win column and Pruitt winning his first bowl game, I don't think we gain anything by beating them.

Coming off the worst season in school history, a bowl win would be extremely good.

Sorry to break it to you, Oklahoma State has been a better program than we have the last 10 years.

Reactions: 2 people
Vandy will make it 3 straight vs UT this year book it.

Now you’re just being funny, I guess I should have gotten the memo. You are like a petulant child that’s says and does anything to get attention. You add nothing to this message board besides a chuckle from most or outrage from others.

Sorry to break it to you, Oklahoma State has been a better program than we have the last 10 years.

Not breaking anything to me bud. I just don't think recruits would be wowed if we beat OSU. Even getting to a bowl game would impressive, but all I'm saying is they wouldn't be in my top 5 picks to play.

Vandy absolutely owned Butch Jones and owns Tennessee right now. The worm has turned, the mindset for both programs has changed. Vandy believes they can beat us now and they’re right.

Fun fact....

I was born in 1967....since then, Tennessee has lost to Vanderbilt 7 times....51 games, 7 losses.....3 under Lyle the last 5 seasons and 4 in the last 6 years. Never thought I’d live to see it.

I'm with you. I am about the same age. Seeing Vandy win was like viewing Haley's Comet, a seeming once in a lifetime experience for the average person.

VN Store

Back