The Atlanta Braves Thread (Mark Lemke Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snitker says they’re not rushing Camargo back because of how well Flaherty is playing 🙄🙄🙄

Baseball question do you guys put more value on OBP or slugging? I value OBP more

Baseball question do you guys put more value on OBP or slugging? I value OBP more

My gut reaction is that OBP is probably a more important team stat, and that if you did some kind of a fancy statistical analysis it would probably correlate slightly better with run-scoring and winning, but that once you get to the far end of the bell curve I would rather have a player with a staggeringly high SLG than OBP. E.g., I would rather have Mike Trout than Wade Boggs.

My gut reaction is that OBP is probably a more important team stat, and that if you did some kind of a fancy statistical analysis it would probably correlate slightly better with run-scoring and winning, but that once you get to the far end of the bell curve I would rather have a player with a staggeringly high SLG than OBP. E.g., I would rather have Mike Trout than Wade Boggs.

Who needs a waiter

Well Trout is an over .400 OBP guy.

Like for me I don’t find much difference in a guy who slugs .500 or .520 but I do think there’s a difference between a guy with a .330 OBP and a .350 OBP. If each guy had an OPS of .800 and one of those guys slashed .280/.350/.450 and the other guy slashed .250/.310/.490 I would take player A without hesitation (not considering park factors or defense or position)

Well Trout is an over .400 OBP guy.

Like for me I don’t find much difference in a guy who slugs .500 or .520 but I do think there’s a difference between a guy with a .330 OBP and a .350 OBP. If each guy had an OPS of .800 and one of those guys slashed .280/.350/.450 and the other guy slashed .250/.310/.490 I would take player A without hesitation (not considering park factors or defense or position)

That's why I said at the margins. All the top SLG guys also have great OBPs. But vice versa is not true.

At the level you're talking about, though, I too would rather have the extra walk-drawing. No idea whether the stats bear that out.

Guys - fox sports go sucks on the Chromebook. That’s gonna be a problem.

Works great on the phone and on Apple TV so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back